Naim Nait XS2 vs XS3

Stay where you are, you seem to have a very balanced system. The XPS-2 or DR may be a big upgrade to your Ndac and you should be quite content with your setup. I don t think the SN3 is big enough step upwards, unless you really want to add something as a NDX2 down the road.

Before going for any upgrade i would ask myself what you are really expecting. There is always something better out there and searching for it may spoil some of the enjoyment of what a systems purposed is supposed to be: the actual music.

2 Likes

Having just upgraded from a Nait XS2 to a SN3 I couldnā€™t disagree more, it is a huge step up. And with a HCDR even better though in my case the HCDR is going to have to wait a bit. Sources I use are ND5 XS2 and Michell Syncro turntable with DV 20X2L cart and Rega Aria phono. Both sound much better with the SN3

3 Likes

Yeah, maybe it is worth comparing after all. Selling the XS2 and the Flatcap would allow for a reasonably priced upgrade to a Supernait. There are people on the forum though who prefer the immediacy of the Nait XS over the Supernait so your best bet is to give it a listen. It will be also room and speaker dependent of course.

I had an XS2 and HCDR with a CdX2 / Rega Rp6 front end via a stage line. All into Guru Qm10 speakers. I heard the SN3 when listening to a potential speaker change (Russell K120).

The system they put together had a P6 turntable, via an Aria phono (purely because turntable couldnā€™t reach the inbuilt phono on SN3 so had to hop via Rega phono stage).

Anyway it sounded so good (I didnā€™t buy the speakers but they were also very convincing) but it did make me place the order for the SN3 and Rega Aria.

Iā€™ve had it all for over a year and itā€™s a stunning upgrade on the XS2 and HCDR (which I kept and use on the SN).

I could have saved on the Aria as Iā€™ve tried the direct phono on SN3 and itā€™s excellent, on MM Iā€™d say itā€™s more of a slightly different presentation as opposed to a night and day improvement.

In relation to the XS2 (which I also thought was superb) would just say it gives a jump in the realism and body to the sound, everything fills out a bit more with more dynamic swing.

You wouldnā€™t be disappointed. I would say it took longer to get to its level best than the xs2 on the running in front , was always very good itā€™s just that suddenly you sit there and realise it has taken on a whole another level.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s encouraging I had planned on selling on the Flatcap XS if I made the change from XS2 to SN3 but was not sure about keeping the Stageline as opposed to using the phono input on the Supernait.
I have an Adkit on my mark 1 Akito on the LP12 and am quite happy with that at the moment, so another box less and that would make some space on the rack for a future Hicap for the SN3.

The phono stage on the Supernait 3 is pretty special, has its own magic and very in keeping with the overall amp.

I think you are in a pretty good place. Iā€™d stick. Or possibly add and XP5XS to the nDac and up the Linn spec a bit.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.