Naim nap 250-2 identification

So was the transformer downrated back to 400VA for the 250.2?

No, it grew and was rated at 1000VA

1 Like

Ah, OK, I was confused by the ā€œtransient peak powerā€ of 400VA in the specs.

Pleased the 250.2 has had a few more positive comments.
I use mine with a 72 pre and love it.
Much nicer tonal balance than the DR version to my ears at least!

2 Likes

Yes the reason for my initial question is Iā€™ve had it from good authority that the 250-2 is the one to buy for my needs .

There are no ā€˜badā€™ 250ā€™sā€¦ IMOā€¦ :astonished:

1 Like

I agree with Simonā€™s comment above, the only bad 250 is one thatā€™s fed by a 202.

Having said that, I never really fell in love with my 250DR. Iā€™ve moved on now, but with hindsight, using the Kudos X2s I had at the time I should have stuck with 282/200.

1 Like

So is the 200 a capable power amp ? Donā€™t know why Iā€™ve skipped that and focused on a 250 , tbh my room isnā€™t huge and donā€™t play loud ā€¦.perhaps a 200 will suffice

1 Like

The 250 has more muscle, especially the 250.2 and later versions, and can certainly control more demanding speakers better. The 200 had a different presentation, and a lighter touch that some people prefer. I certainly wouldnā€™t rule it out.

Having had a 102 with my (1985) 250, I would agree with @ChrisSU . It was a poor combo, although my 102 did have problems - and got sent back to Salisbury for ā€¦ attention. But even after that, it still didsnā€™t seem to really gel. So much so that a bought another 72 to try with it (I had traded my 72 to get the 102). Better. So then I got an 82 and was back on track.

Soā€¦ I would say, better to have 282/200 - rather than 202/250.

There are still no bad 250ā€™sā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

If you want to save a few hundred pounds and you simply want to listen to great sounding music then the NAP200 should be fine. Iā€™ve never heard a bad sounding Naim component. The 250.2 is an improvement and the DR version again better (or different) depending on who you listen to. Just because there is better out there doesnā€™t mean that the more modest kit wonā€™t float your boat. Itā€™s still good. I.e. I spent a couple of hours yesterday listening with my daughter to her new Taylor Swift albums on vinyl. This was on my 2nd system and I was blown away with the sound quality. Nobody would claim that a NAC52/135 combo isnā€™t better than a Nait5si but partnered with the right source and speakers, the Nait 5si will be more system than most people will ever need. Even though there is better kit out there. :wink:

1 Like

Much will depend on your front end and pre-amp. Re. the latter, thereā€™s a clear hierarchy that favours the pre-amp first. A NAP250.2 fronted by a NAC202/Hicap for example, is a relatively unhappy pairing vs. a NAC282 and NAP200 at similar overall cost. A NAP250.2 really starts to make most sense once you have a NAC282 or above.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.