Naim NAP100 usefull upgrade?

Yes I did, I have given that answer before, Hereby a picture, iT is in Dutch

1 Like

I think this is an extract from the review of the NAP100 by The Ear, the reviewer liked the addition of the NAP100 to the Qute.

Yes but what is your point by saying this?

Balance, you donā€™t seem to like it but others do.

Yes you can. Leave the Quteā€™s own amplifier switched on. Use this for one set of speaker terminals (bass or treble) and the 100 for the other set.

Ok, but needs extra speaker cables

It is for the Atom as well.

Didnā€™t know that although Atom has 10W more than the UnitiQute so not sure many will go down that route.

In Jorisā€™ position I would suggest to try out powered studio speakers such as Yamaha HS7 or 8, or equivalent Mackie, or even one of the active ā€˜audiophileā€™ speakers (at higher cost) like Elac/Kef/Acoustic Energy.

This would allow the Qute power amp to be switched off (I preferred it running as preamp only), while also giving the benefit of direct drive between the amps and speaker drivers, with no crossover. Added bonus is that the sound can be tweaked a little to suit the room and your ears via control on the speakers themselves - I found this aspect got me off the upgraditis path and enabled me to adjust a bit for slightly harsher recordings and/or different room acoustics.

@Joris - how are you getting on with UQ2 + NAP100? Any improvement?

Its the unitiqute 1, but besides that: no, the nap100 does not give any improvement at all
I am going to sell it.

Every time i have added a power amp on to my UQ2, be it a 200, 250 or Linn Klimax twin, i have reverted back to the bare UQ2 as the gains were outweighed by the losses. What you gain is a more authoritative expansive sound, but what you lose is what makes the UQ2 so listenable in the first place, and that is its delightfully flowing and engaging personality. I run my UQ2 with a pair of Linn Kaberā€™s, which in some circles are believed to be difficult to drive. Admitedly, iā€™m using them in a very small office room, however the Qute manages to bring them alive incredibly well.

2 Likes

Ah, my mistake re the UQ version. Unfortunate the NAP addition didnā€™t work out for you. Good look with the sale.

Iā€™m with Gary on this in the past I have owned two UQ MK1s and used a NAP100 okay some gains are made but you also lose what makes the UQ so special.

Now in a second system I use a late BT UQ2 driving Allaes and itā€™s a delight to listen to, personally I think any UQ 1 or 2 is best on itā€™s own.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.