Naim nat 01 tuner

Hi Graham - two of my components out main system are a NAT 01 and CDS2 (other two being a LP12 and Linn Klimax DS1), my CDS2 was serviced by Naim 2 years ago and will do for another 20. the Nat 01 was serviced 10 years ago - I was told a crucial bit was tuner head alignment and there was someone who did that. We also have a NAT02 in our upstairs system and I don’t think it has every been serviced (I bought used), but that sounds amazing. the 01/02 can sound amazing on live broadcasts - best source ever!

1 Like

Mine was exhibiting similar behaviour a couple of years ago. It would find the station ok, but after a few hours would need to be retuned. The job sheet says the tuner head needed new FETs. It says that these were replaced, together with trimmer, radials and bipolars. I’m sure they’ll be able to sort yours out.

AFAIK NAT01s can still be serviced and aligned (the factory is the only place this can be done) but there are no more displays.

Hello, Dev (if I may), we’ve spoken on these message boards before, when I expressed my envy at your having an LP12 and a Phonosophie (the latter still apparently a rare beast in this country).

And now I see that you also have a NAT-01 and NAT-02 as well!

I’m trying to get my CDS II and NAT-01 sorted out for my main system, which runs three pairs of ‘new’ QUAD ESL57s (details in my Profile).

And, if all goes well, the NAT-02 will be paired with a lovely old olive Nait2, which has been pretty much an ornament in my bedroom, with a pair of LS3/5As which are on order from Falcon.

Thank you for your good wishes too, Clive. Here’s hoping that the NAT-01 tuner head, or whatever the problem may be, can be sorted…

Hopefully when you’re free of the residential care and back home, you’ll share a pic or two of your setup. It sounds rather interesting.

1 Like

I know it’s not the same but Naim fitted a new tuning head to my NAT05 last summer. Sounds wonderful.

Yes, of course, I’ll try to do that, but I’m not terribly adept at these things.

The description may seem extreme, but it is driven by my wish to get sufficient sound (or volume, if you will) from loudspeaker designs that are over 60 years old. (My own speakers are just over 10 years old, built by QUAD Musikwiedergabe in the German Eiffel district - not far from the Nurburgring racing circuit, if that helps place it.)

My listening/music room is essentially a ‘shoebox’ shape with all the equipment sitting on aluminium shelves bolted to the far wall, facing the listener(s). There are two ‘stacked pairs’ of the ESLs (that is, two panels each mounted above the other on the wall facing a low leather sofa, with seating for the two listeners - or, I suppose, one listener sitting in the ‘sweet spot’. So four speaker panels facing the listener(s).

The third pair of ESLs are suspended from the centre of the (fairly low) ceiling immediately behind the listing spot.

This makes the whole thing sound terribly complicated. It’s actually quite simple and straightforward.

Manfred Stein, boss and maker of the QUADs, told me when he visited me in Brighton some years ago that he had never heard Naim electronics before and (what made me rather happier) that he had never heard ‘his’ speakers sound better. He kept asking that I turn down the volume, as he was worried that we were about to blow some of the panels, but there was never a chance of that!

Anyway, I hope that this will make sense of what sounds on paper like a complicated set-up. I will try to post photos to this site in a couple of weeks, if I can ever work out how to.

2 Likes

I don’t normally deal with tuners, but I do know that routine servicing can still be done.
The problem with faulty 101, 01 & 02s is that the coil formers inside the head contain ferrite grub screws to make adjustments. If those ferrites are fractured, not only is it near impossible to remove the broken part, we also cannot source new ones.
So repairs on these can be impossible - depending on the nature of the fault obviously.

Regards
Neil.

3 Likes

Thanks Graham. Sounds like a very nice and unique setup :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.