Naim NAT01

I work in the London 3 days per week, but live in the Netherlands and work from home the remaining time.

2023 seems to be the end of FM, but this looks like unconfirmed or outdated information. I think I’ll send a message to the public broadcast corp.

We’ve covered this before, & I made the point that as I read & understand it, the BBC said it wants to keep FM radio for the “foreseeable future” rather than switch over entirely to digital.

Yes I think we are agreeing with each other Mike.

‘Tis true. I bought my 05 earlier this year for the princely sum of £180 and it’s wonderful. To get great sounding Naim radio you don’t need to spend huge sums.

2 Likes

NAT01s have that effect! Another happy owner.

1 Like

Does anyone on here use a hi-line with their NAT-01? If so, was it an improvement over the stock lavender IC?

I have for years and for me it opened things up considerably. I have SL elsewhere in the system but have stopped at the HL for the NAT01. Perhaps one day…

1 Like

I use a Hi-line on my NAT02 into a NAC282 and it brings a number of benefits including opening up the space around the instruments in the mid range on live Radio 3 broadcasts.

1 Like

I wonder if there’s a case for asking Naim for some 01/02 owner treats such as interconnects or limited run power supplies? Although much as I’d like to get more from my 01 I hate the thought of an XPS style PS instead of the CB NAPST on cosmetic grounds.

I missed today’s @Camphuw, had to go into the office this afternoon. It was good I presume?

What interconnects are you thinking about? Apart from the HL I use a Russ Andrews/Kimber aerial cable and a Purple Chord Company Powerchord.

The Snaic interconnects primarily. I use a Grahams Hydra for power and have no intention of going down the power cable black hole, given the number I’d need.

The original interconnects I’m using are truly original, and look it. I suspect they are not at their best anymore.

Schubert and Bartok played by young “Schuberts”.
Not keen on Bartok but enjoyed it nevertheless

1 Like

Another live opportunity on Radio 3 is often to be found on the In Tune programme at 5:00pm. Although it’s not live, I also like the ‘mix tape’ at 7:00pm.

3 Likes

I think a product designed and manufactured going on 20 years plus and more gets a post/ response from so many people ( 53+) is brilliant. There was a rumour that after Julian had produced an FM Tuner he was looking at an AM one, know doubt in a class of its own This from the guys who ran Studio 99, Swiss Cottage a long time ago.
Douglas.

I use a hi-line with mine. As others say it opens it up nicely. I have tried other cable just out of interest but nothing suits better than the hi-line. It retains that sense of musicality and timing that takes it above anything else.

1 Like

Wow, interesting. Was it a major modification or just some internal rewiring?

Do you think Naim would consider modifying an Olive XPS for me if I were to supply one?

No, it was based on an XPS2, not an XPS.

So an XPS wouldn’t work?

No, you can’t use an XPS on a NAT01, just a NAPST or an XPS-T.