Naim ND5 XS 2 Network Player Comparison CDX2 Gen 1

All

My CDX2 Gen 1 (Classic Range) has lost a channel with a repair and service cost estimated to be £800 I am wondering if I should bite the bullet and move to the ND5 XS 2 streamer. I am however concerned that the streamer will have a lower sound quality than the CDX2 player I am currently using.

One of the main reasons being that my CDX2 also uses the XPS powers supply as an upgrade which is not possible as I understand it with the ND5 XS 2 streamer.

Has anybody any experience of comparing the above sources.

Current system:-
Linn Lp12, Ittok arm, Crystal cartridge
Powerline phono stage
Nac 202 Pre amp and digital supply
Nap 200 Power amp
Hicap power supply
CDX2 with XPS power supply
Hi Line phono cable
Chord Signature Speaker Cable
Naim Neal Ekstra speakers

All Mounted on Isoblue Hifi table

Thanks for your assistance.

Trevor

Lots of views….

This comparison with NDX2 ( a little better all round than ND5XS2) may help.

As others have suggested, adding an external NDAC to an ND5XS2 makes it about as good as an NDX2 (if using its internal DAC and PS).

I rate NDX2 plus XPSDR better than the naked NDX2 alone, and about equal to my CDS2 (my favourite Naim CD player). It was more common for CD to beat streamer when the NDX2 has no XPSDR attached than it is now.

In any event, the differences between different downloads ( Qobuz? HR?) may well be bigger than the difference between streamers at this level, and not all CDs are the same either.

1 Like

Thanks for your opinion and I read with interest. I think reading your information that I conclude a CDX2 with XPS will be better than ND5XS2 without XPS( As it can’t be used)

Only spending vast amounts of money will beat the CDX2

Looks like the best option is to repair the CDX 2

Thanks

I can’t speak to either a ND5XS2 or CDX2 as I don’t own them or have heard them.

However, given that you already have a XPS (DR or non-DR) why not go to the NDX2?
And rip all the CDs previously played on the CDX2

I imagine that the NDX2/XPS will be better with Redbook format files than playback on a CDX2.

Do you have a server/NAS for the ripped CDs?

It is important to know which XPS @Cayman295 has with the CDX2, as the olive ones may not be compatible with an NDX2. @Richard.Dane may be best placed to advise on this.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

A very good point. The manual for the previous gen players advised against using XPS supplies below a certain serial number and I should think that would apply to the NDX2 too.

2 Likes

You can go into Nd5xs2/ Ndac / xps. It will beat easily the Cdx2/xps.
Less than 3k second hand investment.

2 Likes

Deleted, please remove.

2 Likes

No, I don’t have a server/NAS. If I can stream the music don’t see why i need to rip cd’s unless there not on the streaming network

I have an XPS 2 serial No 223676 so no issues there.

Thanks

1 Like

Or the version - Conductor, Orchestra, Soloist etc.
The other issue with relying on the internet streaming services is that you add albums/tracks to your collection, and then they (Tidal/Qobuz) drop them, and they just disappear from your library (without notification or warning).

Sounds a possibility but don’t really want any more boxes and an extra shelf.

Thanks

1 Like

Taking my cdx2 for further testing at my dealer tomorrow and will discuss options while I am there.

Maybe a more cost effective option away from Naim. (oops who said that)

1 Like

Ah all becomes clear.

Thanks

All

Not good news from Naim today.

A DAC failure seems to be the problem with my CDX2. Problem is no parts available to fix for at least 12 weeks and no guarantee of that.

Now seriously thinking of my options should repair not be possible.

Obviously NDX2 is the obvious solution if I go the streaming route but if i want to stay with cd what player would be the obvious choice to be comparable with CDX2/ XPS.

Trevor

1 Like

Good bargain prices for the CDS2 . Some have reported recently in an other thread.

2 Likes

IMHO, you won’t hear better than a CDS2, and as @frenchrooster says there are some cheap ones around now. However, they are far from new and you may not fancy risking another older CD player.

If you want to avoid that risk but do want a stand-alone CD player, then a Rega Saturn would be well worth considering.

As you say, an NDX2 would be a great choice for a streamer, and made better with an external PS. Plugging an Audiolab/ Cyrus/ TEAC CD Transport into it would address the CD issue directly, but all this is adding to your box count.

There are other threads covering roughly this ground.

1 Like

The first gen CDX2 is a very special bit of kit if (as I assume you do) you like what it does. I’m hanging on to mine even though it doesn’t have a place in my current system. If Naim can fix it, get it fixed.

glos_olly, what is so special in first gen of CDX2?

All

The current plan is to give Naim the 12 weeks requested to obtain the parts.

My dealer has offered to lend me a player but I have loads of vinyl so not short of music.

Once i know the outcome from this i will decide what to do.

In the mean time I might take the opportunity to home trial other cd players and possibly a NDX2.

Thanks

2 Likes