Naim NDX 2 unboxing and request for advice

Flash back, that’s the ones I was thinking about!

townsend allegri, passive, under 4k. Some naim members use one . But i haven’t tested myself…

Thanks for the tip, reading reviews. Unfortunately doesn’t have a remote. The Townshend Enigma does, but at £10k I might as well get a 252… Wish I could just demo these things to see how much of an improvement they make before making a purchase decision. Maybe a trip is in order!

i understand, i myself could not live without remote. So you have the choice between 282 or 252. 252 is better but some prefer the 282 for it boogie factor. As you said, you will have to listen first at dealers place. Take your time.

1 Like

I’m actually enjoying the heck out of the NDX2 straight into the 300, so I will take my time. Having a look at your Ear 912 now… you like it? Why’d you get that over a Naim Pre?

Ever heard of the Luminous Audio Axiom II? Passive, remote controlled, single source, gets good reviews…

The Allegri is about £2300, and potentially much less if you shop around, which makes it an attractive proposition. I’ve had one in place of my 282 but so far I haven’t heard it sounding good enough to make the jump, although it’s a nice pre for the money. Haven’t given up yet, though.

Update: earlier I said "Freaking awesome… but a little inconsistent. Some of what I listen to is staggering, some sounds restrained, far away. " This inconsistency is gone now. It sounds freaking awesome, period. I hate to say it burned-in, because burn in doesn’t make much sense for a digital source (maybe the electrolytics in the power supply?), but it sounds clearly better than at first, and across the board. It really is a fabulous piece of kit. Best streamer and DAC I’ve ever had by miles. Driving a power amp directly, it is fantastic. I’m curious to find a way to audition a preamp in the middle to see what effect that has. My current setup sounds too good to drop 252+SCDR money without listening first. In another thread, some of us are begging Naim to make a pared down 252 for those of us who only stream.

1 Like

Thank you trying this combination and reporting back to us Perizoqui, this is all very interesting.

i am very happy with my ear 912: very dynamic and involving pre, which gives me better tonality and fluency vs the 252 i had before. The phono inside is also specially good. No problem of match with naim amp.
The ear 868 is also a good match with naim amp. You need also modified cables to connect both. ( din/xlr to 2 rca).

Hi Frenchrooster, are you driving a naim power amp direct from the e.a.r 912?

I wondered whether they may be impeadance matching issues?

yes, driving the nap 250dr, no problem of impedance: no noise, no hum, absolutely silent and very lively and open. More lively vs the 252. I put nos telefunken tubes and the sound is wonderful.
For 11k you have like 252 and 3k tube phono , with remote, adjustable gains, and one box. Chord made me the cables.( signature tuned array).

Thank you for your reply Frenchrooster, it is good to hear that the E.A.R pre works well with 250dr. For me half the point of a pre is to incorporate a good phono stage.

what means “ half the point “? that you don’t need a phono stage or that it’s an important plus? i have not found the meaning on google…

To my mind you should alway consider your phono-stage as part of your turntable set up. Get that combo right and you can move it to any future pre-amp.

Sorry for my lazy English, perhaps I should have said a good reason for having a pre is that it allows me to connect my turntable without even more boxes

1 Like

generally speaking you are right cdboy. But a one box pre phono reduces costs and number of boxes. To have better than my actual pre, which costs already around 11k, i would have to find a pre more expensive, with a separate phono at a minimum cost of 3 k, and all that can match with a naim amp. ( the ear 912 is all tubes). It would be very difficult and expensive to find.

912 looks fabulous

i agree Roog!

1 Like

Sorry to labour this point, but this is exactly the problem i am trying to solve…how to get NDX2 working with NAP300 and no additional boxes/expense.

So, volume control is via NAIM app?