Naim NDX - Wi-fi vs Ethernet - tremendous difference

If you don’t understand, sorry, but no need for that attitude.

perhaps if you answered the points raised it would be more helpfull?

I am just surprised because I tried and it was really sounding bad for me, at dealer place.
Other have responded the same on some threads.
But If it works for you, it’s the most important.

Mike-B was only trying to point out that the original point of the thread was to explore the perceived sound quality difference between WiFi and Ethernet. Not WiFi drop outs or issues with the control point ( NAIM app), on which there are many threads already. Kudos fo him for sticking his head above the parapet to try to keep the thread on topic…

I’m partly guilty for steering the topic to Tidal issues and yes there are other topics for these problems.

Let’s keep this thread in line with Wi-Fi vs Ethernet discussion in terms of SQ only and not in stability and reliability aspect. Everyone else who has compared Wi-Fi vs Ethernet connections on his Naim streamer can share his experience and thoughts. For the moment I’m one of the very few who is delighted with the Wi-Fi performance of the old generation Naim streamers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

sure extenders can work obviously - its just they don’t work terribly well in terms of efficiency and throughput if you have several active hosts on the wireless network as they create a single extended collision domain, hence why I said to be wary of them.
An access point with a separate uplink - whether be wireless or ethernet - is better as it creates its own collision domain separate from the other access points in your network.

i can only suggest you read the full original post by the OP - it is fairly clear that he raises the issue of wi-fi dropouts there as the reason for moving to ethernet so it sems to me that if there is a solution he wouldn’t need to use ethernet. sometimes an op raises more than one point when starting a thread- i feel that it is reasonable to answer any of the points raised. i simply passed on the infomation that @stevesky and the development team are looking at these issues

1 Like

hi @corsuse sorry to have deflected the thread - i won’t post again

You haven’t deflected anything! Everyone is free to share in this topic. :slight_smile: I also think the problem might be Naim app losing contact with the streamer because when the playlist stop and I open the Naim app it’s written No content is playing and I have to select again a song and the connection is renewed. I am looking forward Naim to update the app and see how the update behaves.

1 Like

Hi I’ve recently invested in a mesh wifi system for my house. I use wifi to get streaming to an access point near my streamer, then via cable to a 2960 switch to which my nas is also connected, and then to the streamer.
Rock solid connection.
I only use cable for the last step to get my nas hooked up. I cant hear any difference between this set up and previously all wifi.
But the much stronger all round wifi seems to make the naim app more stable.
I used bt wholehome discs. Their selector tool said 3 discs, I would have needed 4 without my streamer requirements but actually have 5 with one effectively there to get the signal to where I can physically connect cable for the last steps.
Hope this might be of interest/help.

2 Likes

I have an Auralic Aries G1. Xuanqian Wang, the boss and lead engineer recommends Wifi his experience is it sounds better with their products. I have to run Wifi due to my homes build. Wifi sounds great, and I’ve played Radio for more than a dozen hours with no dropouts.

4 Likes

And no ER?

What is ER please?

ER - the Uptone EtherRegen that everyone seems to be crazy about? :slight_smile:
It can be hooked between your switch and your streamer, quite a few people here like it, you just need to search the forum. The OP is using it, would you recommended it, @corsuse.

1 Like

Ha, never heard of it, dont know what it’s supposed to do.

To be honest when I installed my ER I left it to fully burn-in and I forgot the EQ before adding it. I should test how it performs compared to ethernet connection directly from my wi-fi extender. Once I perform some tests I will report them in this tread.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.