Naim newby - completely lost on how to get started

So that would appear to be that…!

I’ve not replied for several weeks because i’ve simply given up with the whole naim experience so stalled what to do next. Main dissatisfaction centres on the dvd player running cds. I still get bursts of volume more so on certain tracks. Plus I can hear 50hz hum from the nac/nap combo.

1 Like

The Naim DVD5 does not have a built-in amp. The Naim n-Vi does. Both play DVDs - which do you have? (A pic of the back panel will clear away all doubts.)

Perhaps more germane, how about trying the CD5, like (almost) everyone above has suggested?

3 Likes

Fletch, Owning Naim is supposed to be pleasure, please stick with it.

1 Like

Fletch, I’ve read this thread and hope that you will stick with your Naim gear and particularly get the CD5 into the system.

A Naim system should immediately give you great involvement, a ‘boogie factor’ to use an old hackneyed term.

Stick with it and you’ll reap the benefit; it’s got to be orders of magnitude easier than your day-job!

1 Like

Hi Fletch,

It sounds to me like the fault lies with the preamp (112) not the DVD5. If it has not been serviced in its lifetime, it’s likely that the volume pot has become noisy. This preamp uses the volume pot for voltage (rather than signal) to control the resistor ladders - when the pot becomes worn, the result is the output fluctuations you describe.

You can prove this by simply using a different source.

Hope this helps.
Neil.

1 Like

I came across this video of a Naim demo day and although it doesn’t answer your questions on how to set your system up and which cables go where it does a good job of explaining and demoing the Naim hierarchy and what you can expect from an upgrade.

Naim Classic Series Upgrade Path Full Presentation Focal Scala Utopia EVO

Thanks for all your replies and support. I have stuck with it and purchased all naim interconnect, and speaker cables (ref separate thread) and a pair of fine kef ls50 speakers. done a lot of listening however still not greatly impressed. It may be that I do need the pre amp servicing because I have noticed that I can hear more and more interference and speaker crackling when not playing. Seems to be random a bit like the highs and low vol music. I have been round the house switching off pc’s and devices to try to isolate the problem but seems to be just on of the amps.

So how much and how long does an amplifier service cost? And which amp do I send off?

Hi,

From experience. When we moved to this house in 2001 I bought a good Pioneer DVD and a widely held view at the time was that a DVD player would be the = of a CDP and keen to reduce the box count we left our 10 year old Arcam Alpha CDP out of the system.

After a few days it was apparent that the DVD theory was a myth. The Arcam was reinstalled and the improvement in SQ was just night and day.

Regards,

Lindsay

Amps need servicing every 8-10 years. You should speak to your Naim dealer for details and cost. Alternative would be to speak to Class A who are a Naim approved servicers and may come less expensive.

The later NAC112s can have volume encoders that can fail (the original supplier moved their facility and quality suffered, so Naim redesigned it for the NAC112x), so I do wonder if this may be a problem you are starting to experience.

Hi Fletch.
Really sounds like you need the help of a good local dealer. The first steps into Naim are mind boggling. To compound your frustrations it seems the sellers preyed on your naivity by not providing the cables that would have been in the box when new. Personally, I’d have wanted to hear it working before handing over the cash.
And as most others have stated, I’d really be concentrating on getting that CD5 into the system. The DVD mechanism may be technically superior but everything about the CD5 is optimised for music replay so it WILL sound better.
For my first Naim system I ran a CD5, 112/150 with a Flatcap2 into KEF Reference 101’s for a couple of years and it was great.
Hope you get sorted. Naim gear, set up properly reproduces music in a truly engaging way. Do it wrong and it can be awful, but that’s not the equipment’s fault.
Regards
Steve O

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.