Naim Nova, open-hearted reflections

I currently have 2342 albums and it works like a champ.

I agree it is an issue in a large room. I agree it would not work for you.

But for the poor souls that have or had it, it is a legitimate expectation.

Yes, I admitted that already :slight_smile: even though I still canā€™t imagine why I would use that over the app on a tablet (or, even better, Roon in my case)

I think you can use the remote to scroll through presets and favourites on the streaming services, but not local streaming, which is also oddā€¦ā€¦

I also use Roon @Suedkiez, but the remote works better with beer and wine.

1 Like

Hi Ian,

By disabling them, it is supposed to improve sound quality as well, but it is certainly neater on the Nova screen and the app screens.

IIRC Other people say the opposite, that SQ is better if enabled, I believe this was in some review. I donā€™t think anyone knows for sure what it is that is being disabled, anyway. Thereā€™s nothing that people wonā€™t hear a difference with. Not worth fretting over, IMHO, I do whatā€™s more convenient (disabling unused ones)

The theory goes that the use of the cpu and screen produces heat and noise. So by disabling unused features you reduce heat and noise.

You do not improve sound quality, you reduce its deterioration. Good ears in good systems can notice the improvement.

I may be missing something but how did you get the analogue out from the Nova into the nac282 without still using the preamp in the Nova ?
I am currently using my Nova as a source into my SN3 but am going straight into the power amp until I get an NDX2.

Nothing fancy, I didnā€™t, I just use the variable line out analogue RCA from the Nova to a NAC 282 input - would be nice if the Nova had a fixed output bypassing the pre but it doesnā€™t and I suspect the DAC output is somehow coupled to pre-circuitry for volume control in the digital domain which we were assured a few years ago by Naim didnā€™t adversely affect sound quality (purists may wonder/disagree).

Iā€™m assuming the 4 pin DIN pre out to a NAP which I used with an olive NAP 250 before might offer better quality and could be used to connect a pre as well with a suitable 4 pin to 5 pin DIN or RCA but again this would be via the Novaā€™s pre.

I know I donā€™t use the Nova in a logical way, itā€™s just when my old Naim/Linn stuff was in storage I got Atom then Nova standalone, with a view to keeping an all-in-one eventually as a separate system. Added a NAP 250 from storage, then once I found other components resurrected the old active system with the Nova as an uncoventional source - works remarkably well in my view in my setup. I had planned on replacing with an NDX 2 but as noted above I didnā€™t feel the difference was night and day last time I tested so couldnā€™t justify the NDX 2 at the time and ploughed some money into my old LP12 instead.

If I had spare cash, which I donā€™t currently, Iā€™d likely get an NDX 2/PSU or go higher. I am tempted to look at different transport/DAC options though in the future just to see ā€˜whatā€™s out thereā€™.

Iā€™d have liked the Nova to have a fixed line out bypassing the pre as well as digital out to potentially use it as a compact streaming transport. Iā€™d ideally want a PSU option for it too but seems unlikely to me that many would ever use those features and it would be a confusing beast whereas currently it is aimed pretty much as a standalone pre/streamer with the option of adding a separate power amp.

Also bear in mind I had very early Atom/Nova versions - the NDX 2 was not available, had it been I probably would have got that and cobbled something together with an ancient integrated amp temporarily. Could have got an old style streamer, and as good as they still are, it seemed likely they would be updated once the Atom/Nova etc were released.

2 Likes

Donā€™t know if that was in reply to me specifically, but I replied to disabling inputs in the app.
As for the screen, I am quite sure to have read that Naim only sends the image to the screen once and then does not refresh it, to reduce any interference. (Which incidentally might limit certain more fancy display options that are often requested)

Disabling inputs in the app is less threads in the cpu I believe, so less noise.

Even if the screen is not refreshed, it produces heat. Better to switch it off for perfect sq.

But we are at a very esoteric level, I do not think I can hear anything of this.

It is good for peace of mind and to follow the principles of good hifi in the quest for excellence. You will have an easier access to Heaven when you die.

Thatā€™s quite an assumption. Anyways, as mentioned some people prefer SQ if leaving them enabled. Thereā€™s not much factual basis for either

Why would heat impact SQ? Leaving the unit on also produces heat and is recommended for best immediate SQ. But anyways, I was just pointing out that Naim is taking measures to address screen interference already. Possible that turning it off is even better, but I like the screen and like you donā€™t think I can hear a difference. This is one place where I donā€™t follow the ideal principles (which I do elsewhere whether I hear it or not, just for peace of mind - see the 8switch :slight_smile: )

Again it does not impact sq, but it produces noise. It has an influence in the final perception.

You wrote this:

So it seemed you were saying heat would be detrimental to perfect SQ

Digital noise I mean. I do not remember very well but thermal noise is called Nyquist noise and there are books about this.

Correct. But please excuse my language if it is not accurate enough for the occasion.

I just wanted to understand what exactly you were saying.

Nyquist noise ok, but it is very small, and keeping the unit warmed up in general by leaving it on is considered good.

I guess if the screen has an effect itā€™s digital noise

I think this is mainly for the analog part.

Yes but if the analog part is warm, everything becomes warm at the same temp if leaving it on - itā€™s the whole point. Compared to the analog part, how much is the screen contributing? I donā€™t know, but would guess negligible

One additional reason to separate the analog and digital circuits, like in the Nova.

I have to say I do not have interest to exchange a SuperUniti for a Nova, but it does look like a superb piece of kit.