Naim Nova, open-hearted reflections

Certainly

1 Like

I came from a fully active cds2 based system, sold up, flirted with a Muso Gen 1, then the Atom was launched immediately went for it, a week later went for the Nova had the mother of all RMA (think it was 5 or 6), but the Nova has been the only Naim box to stop my prior and current box upgrade itch.

I have demo’d the SN3/NDX2 which was planned as launch upgrades, but it didn’t offer meaningful SQ uplift.

Recently I looked at the SN3/NDX2 as a blind purchase, but after demo a full loom Synergistic Research, I am just finalising the order (speaker cable, all power, USB and ethernet).

The Nova just keeps delivering and makes me smile and tap my toes.

Thinking back the egotistical olive upgrade and recent demo, the box upgrades are rarely big step ups, mostly subtle.

So Nova will be staying put for sometime.

2 Likes

I think Naim has it hit the nail on the head so to speak with the Uniti Nova. I had an opportunity to demo both the Atom and Nova at Bay Bloor Radio in downtown Toronto. For me the Nova was worth the upgrade from the Atom, just found it a better match for my Focal Arias. The system is perfect for smaller spaces where shelf real estate is tight and your significant other doesn’t like the clutter look of cables and multiple “boxes” in the living room of our condo. As many other reviewers have mentioned it’s a great all in one system with a very good app that’s easy to use. My only gripe is no phono input… minor gripe though as it’s easily rectified with an outboard phono preamp. Three years on still very happy with the sound.

6 Likes

I’m about 2 months in with my Nova and it’s a keeper. What attracted me was just to go streaming and simplify my absurdly large hifi separates stack complete with cable spaghetti.

I demo’d it on some fancy Harbeth speakers at the dealer and assumed I’d need to upgrade my old Ruark Prelude IIs but they actually sound great with the Nova. I may trial some more expensive speakers but based on what I’m reading on this thread it seems that some speakers just work well with the Nova and mine definitely do.

I’ve been comparing sources and DACs and the differences are surprising. CDs playing on the Primare CD31 can’t compete with the Nova streaming directly. Using the preamp line in to the Nova sounds flat in comparison and using the optical link, and hence the Nova’s DAC, makes the sound more detailed but slightly tinny. neither have the Nova’s excellent sound stage.

Sending music via Airplay from my Mac is also very disappointing in comparison, even the Apple Music Lossless stuff. The sound is warm and the stage is good but it sounds a bit muddled - it’s as if it lost confidence en route.

So I’m now faced with the “what do I do with all those CDs?” question! I can’t quite bring myself to unload them yet and tell myself they are there for when the broadband is down!

1 Like

how many cd’s do you have. i ripped them and now put a memory card with the cd’s in the nova

About 500, but I ripped most of them years ago at way less than the quality I can get from streaming. If I spend two weeks ripping them all again it still won’t match today’s best streaming quality, let alone tomorrow’s.

Might be worth considering a Naim Uniti core for optimum CD quality. Don’t assume that streaming at hi-res, whatever that means, will be better than a bit perfect rip at 16bit 44.1kHz.

1 Like

@suneal I’m interested in your experience with Nova and Aria. I am considering a pair of Aria. What could i say? What cables do you use? Did you try another Aria models? Thank you

Interesting. How long does it take per CD to rip them?

You could either rip the CDs on your Mac and then use a uPnP app as a server to the Nova and stream through your local network, or use a UnitiCore through your network. I use to use the Mac, but moved to the Core as it sounds better and has an easier user interface.

Ripping is a few minutes per CD. You’d get through 500 in a week or two whilst multi-tasking with something else and it’s done for good, but always keep a back-up!

As @Mike_S has replied.

1 Like

I’ve computed some numbers for you over about a thousand CD’s ripped on my Uniti Star (numbers should be comparable to the Core I guess); rip times per CD:

• average: 391 seconds
  • median: 372 seconds
  • minimum: 123 seconds (very short CD)
  • maximum: 1398 seconds (for a CD with quite a few rip errors / retries / corrections)

About four and a half days of full-time ripping. :wink:

1 Like

Wow! Thanks gjvoosten.

An Innuos Zen Mini or Zenith pair perfectly with the Nova, can rip CDs, server and now da bollocks app.

1 Like

Hi Obsydian, hope you are well.
I remember that you didn’t liked at all a latest firmware upgrade on your Nova. You were very disappointed.
How about the new 3.7?

And the mode time please.

Hello
I use Audioquest type 4 cables for my Aria 926’s, I preferred the 936’s but they were out of my price range. I do like bass heavy music so I paired them with my Canadian made legacy Mirage system. I have a Mirage/Paradigm 9.1 system in the same room with a Mirage Sub. I use Audioquest interconnects for all other components.
FYI I do recommend the Isoacoustics Gaia speaker isolation system on any of the Focals.

I demoed everything from NAD/Yamaha/Musical Fidelity to older Arcam and Anthem systems and really liked the NAIM Focal combo.

1 Like

Thanks for the details. One vendor here has about 948s on offer, although they told me the 936 has better bass. Is it true? Everything suggests otherwise since the 948’s woofers are larger

I’ve had to rebuild my library twice, ripping over a thousand CDs bored me to tears. If I ever have to do it again I’m paying my young nephew to do it.

Ripping CDs is like moving, something you only want to do again when completely necessary. :grin:

4 Likes

I would think the 948s have better bass too, it’s been a while since I have heard them. Our local stores were shut down for in store demos for a long time due to COVID. It’s been over a year since I have been into a hi-fi store.

1 Like