Naim Nova - Teething problems et al

Hi FR,

Yes, in theory what you outline is exactly what I’d like to be able to do.

The AirPlay and Chromecast routes were simply a means of testing and comparing when I’d normally either go with with Innous as Roon Core or stream from the Nova using the Naim app.
However, I’m having considerable problems establishing a secure connection for Tidal or Qobuz.

In the last hour or so I’ve reset everything and started from the ground up with a full reboot of every link in the chain but all I can reliably play are FLAC files stored on the ZM3.

I even took out the EESwitch and tried streaming without. Still no improvement.

Ethernet goes from router to back of Innuos and I have another ethernet between Innuos’ streamer port and the Nova. That’s it, and that should play streamed music, I’d have thought.

I’m quite perplexed. I’ll try another power down and up of all the links in the chain one more time. I mean I’ve only done it once or twice a day for a week now!
Aaarrhh.

What do you mean by secure connection for Tidal and Qobuz?
Do Qobuz and Tidal appear in the Naim app?
Are you experimenting drop outs while streaming from Tidal or Qobuz?
Your EE switch is connected to your router. Then , from the EE, the Innuos is connected to it . Nova is connected to the Innuos switch. It’s that ?

Try to connect both your Nova and Innuos to the EE switch, and see if it changes something.

Hi Fr,

Yes, by a “secure connection” I meant to say a reliable and stable streaming without drop outs. Always with Qobuz, sometimes with Tidal. In fact sometimes neither will play for more than a few seconds before spluttering to a resounding stop.

Both Tidal and Qobuz are displayed within Naim app, yes.

Since my most recent reboot, Tidal is now playing uninterrupted. Phew!
That’s without the EE switch in play. Will now try with EE switch in the chain and see what happens.

There’s only one ethernet on the Nova so I’d have to unlink that cable from the Innuos to run it into the switch. Not sure if that’s what you meant?

Always tricky to explain in words when seeing with ones one eyes would be simpler.

Thanks for your tips and patience.

1 Like

Yes, I meant both connected to the EE, Nova and Innuos.
You can also install again the Naim app.
I hope it will work.

So now, I’ve got the EE switch back in play, and things are improving. Almost.

Tidal plays fine from either Roon or directly from Naim app. However, Qobuz is still seemingly cursed. It stutters and stops after a few seconds whether I play it from Roon or Naim app.

What would Qobuz be the sticking point I wonder?

There is a new Naim app update today. Have you installed it?
If you still encounter these Qobuz drop outs, I recommend you to open a new thread, which will catch more members.
Like “ Qobuz drop outs on Nova “.

Some tekies here could help more than me.

I would probably contact Naim support too, because, from what I read regularly, Qobuz seems to be stable today with the new streamers.
The only recent problem I saw is the favorite files / albums on Qobuz/ Naim app. The new app have resolved it globally.

Yes, downloaded the app update but to no avail.

Qobuz is just not working.

Yes, will start a new thread and see what advice is out there.
Thanks.

1 Like

Wasn’t there an issue with the Qobuz bit rate set to 192kb/s with constant dropping ? The fix was to lower the bit rate.

I don’t use Qobuz so don’t know if this was fixed or is still to be fixed, but it may be worth checking your settings and trying this if you do have 192 set.

In other thread “ Ndx2 and Qobuz problems”, @nca is encountering similar issues I feel.
Perhaps a same thread should be opened in intention to Naim too.
However maybe the new app will solve the problem.

Thanks folks.

I’ll give that a try - adjusting the Qobuz settings - when I’ve got my head around a new unexpected problem: Error code 238.

This has just flashed on my Nova screen. I’ve re-set the unit and switched off a function in the HDMI settings based on reading through a thread dealing with this issue.

Could this error code be a symptom of a deeper fault which has also caused my Qobuz problems?

Will weigh all of this up and call my dealer tomorrow for advice and probably a return for a refund. Only had the Nova a week and it’s caused more hassle than any other piece of hi-fi I’ve ever had.

Have you electronics, like preamp and amp, or integrated amp?
If yes, just get an Nd5xs2 or Ndx2, or eventually an Ndac to connect in usb/ spdif to your Innuos.

Hi FR,

Yes, I have pre and two mono blocks (Roksan/Audiolab) plus a Chord Qutest DAC, busy doing nothing as the Nova was purchased as a possible one box replacement.

The ND5xs2, looks an interesting option, true. Presume I’d maximise its capabilities by connecting it to my Chord DAC.

Can’t say, some prefer with Chord, other without…

I’m away for few days now, so will leave it all until next week now.

I’m keen for the Nova set up to work (the less boxes set up and sound quality are worth it for me) but this might need a) some patience b) some extraneous tinkering or if neither of those work then c) get rid and revert to a dedicated streamer and other amps.

Thanks for insights and inputs.

1 Like

One of my work colleagues is just about to take delivery of his NAD M33, so I’ll keep an eye (and ear) out for his opinions.

That said, I read one comparison with it and the Nova which made it clear the Naim unit was superior sounding. Still an option though.

I use the Zen Mini mk3, but with. A SuperUniti. (The Nova predecessor) I’ve not had any issues what so ever with streaming.

I have the Zen mini connected straight into the SuperUniti via Ethernet. In this setup I use the Naim app and the Zen acts like a server.

I also have it connect via co-axial to the SuperUniti and can then use the iPeng app to control the Zen. This way the Zen is the streamer and uses its RAM for playback, this bypasses the streamer in the SuperUniti.

I don’t hear much of a difference, if any, between these two options. But am happy with either one. Naim app is simple and better looking and can also be controlled with the remote. while the iPeng app has more features, like the continue playing similar music after an albums ends. Tidal and Qobuz integration as well as all Radio paradise Flac Streams, which the Naim app doesn’t have.

The current Naim streamers will run Radio Paradise FLAC, but not the 1st gen. models.

Can your dealer replace it still? Maybe you have a default unit.

I’ve not tried the dealer as yet. I’ve only had it just over a week, so would hope there’s no problem.
Then again, I don’t want to go through the whole rigmarole of having to send it off to Naim if it is deemed faulty.