Naim Olive

Personally, from a 72, my next jump would be a 52 or 552 when funds permit. But I’m happy with the way things are atm. Just wished it had a remote. The digital volume using my iPeng control app ain’t cuttin’ it.

1 Like

I found the difference between a 72 and the 82 was that the 82 gave more transparency and detail but the 72 was a lot more enjoyable, whereas comparing the 72 and the 52, the 52 just gives a whole lot more of the same. My last upgrade was from an 82 to a 52 and it was a big for the better change. Since then I’ve had a 552 on demo but the presentation was different, better but didn’t bring as much enjoyment somehow so not for me (hooray more money in pocket) and the 52SC is where it’s at. Thankfully we’re all different

10 Likes

In my opinion, the 52 provides a super communicative and immersive listening with enough details, not too much to preserve the coherence and cohesion of the image.
The 552 goes a step forward with more details, perhaps a better global transparency but the involvement seems to me not the same.

7 Likes

Love the look in the dark, although my SMSL Dac came to spoil the party.

8 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. They both have their strong points. The 552 has better micro and macro detail (lower noise floor) and a lusher sound. The 52 has exceptional timing and tracks the rhythm beautifully but I think at the expense of the visceral sound that the 552 achieves. Considering the price difference its a real accomplishment by Naim on the NAC52. It can still hold its own 30 years on.

7 Likes

Nearly 30 years ago, I heard the best System I have ever encountered, with a 52/52ps at its heart.

15 years ago, I got a 52 to go with my Supercap and 135s. Recently serviced and Pots8-ed, it has never sounded better, IMHO.

Years ahead of its time, I feel. It will not be replaced within my system unless I move away from Naim entirely.

12 Likes

I’ve just seen a used 52/52PS and olive 250 for sale here. How would that compare to SN2 / HiCAP I wonder? It’s very affordable.

I’ve never hears a 52/52ps, they were supposed to be very very good, better than the 52/SC if I remember?

I can’t see us moving on from ours either

I must say, I never got along with the 250, but it seems that the received wisdom is that the 52ps is “better” than the Supercap, which was a revised 52ps to be able to cater for other Naim equipment.

I would say go for it/them: budgeting for a full service and update if required (I assume that the 52ps can be serviced -I would suggest searching the forum).

Last year I had all my Olives serviced, by Naim, and TBH I was pleasantly surprised at the overall cost.

I don’t think the 52 will disappoint, but if the 250 does, well, there are the 135s…

3 Likes

Never heard an SN2 but I would imaging a bit better, if your into rock more than ballads a lot better but mostly a very different presentation, more exciting but other than that I couldn’t comment. The 250 will be a taming influence, a warmer sound? I forget now

1 Like

Considering the environment (a Naim “evening” organised in conjunction with The Audio file, in a large hotel room with perhaps 20 attendees) the active 6-pack/DBL system was stunning.

I did not like the sound of the Naim CDS, but with the early 90s spec Sondek, wow!

And I am not one to say “wow!” very quickly. At all.

1 Like

I believe it was Malcolm Steward, possibly with reference to the 52, who aptly described it thus “will illuminate any style” of music. And it will. It is not a “rock” amplifier, it is a great all-rounder.

7 Likes

That is probably correct, it either does or it doesn’t so to speak. We’re both rock fans so I suppose we’re heavily biased. My wife is/was a professional musician so we’re lucky enough to have some material she has played on, that has become the benchmark of how things sound, either it sounds like what they recorded or it doesn’t. She listens more to the presentation of the music whereas I will listen more for the detail etc when being critical but so far the 52/SC is the only pre we’ve heard that has passed her test. I suppose if it sounds like what the musicians think they recorded then it must be close to the mark all round.

I appreciate there are a few other factors playing in the above so different speakers, sources etc all come into play but that is all about the fine tuning of the sound, the 52 just lets that sound through with accuracy.

5 Likes

Fine tuning the NAC52 must not be overlooked. It’s setup is critical ime. The only criticism I can throw at it is, it isn’t as quiet as modern alternatives in the nose floor dept. But then I feel many modern amps like the Ayre kx5twenty cannot match it for anything else.

1 Like

Has anybody experimented with alternative feet for the Olive gear? I dont mean replacing the original. I just mean sitting the amplifiers on feet that arent rubber and screwed into the chassis. I’ve had some interesting results so far.

Hi,
only with my black boxes. Black Diamond or BDR Sound, as they are called now, LM Discs surely are different…

I feel some of those wooden Russ Andrews feet getting a try! What did he call it Torlyte, or something. I tried 3 under my rega 25 in place of the rubber rega feet, drained the life out of the rega. One of the few things I have actually taken up the guarantee and returned. Total tosh.

Now, as for feet other than those black naim feet under the Olives, I’ll be interested.

1 Like

I’ll report back soon with my findings.

1 Like

My Nait 3, on newly acquired pre loved Atacama rack, playing through newly acquired pre loved NAC A5 (haven’t sorted the cables to allow it to come forward on the shelf yet!) Relatively budget system sounding great still after a refurb a couple of years back :slight_smile:

26 Likes

After much experimentation,

I’ve concluded. If you’ve got your Naim gear on the fraim or something of the sort, there is nothing more to add or change.

All alternative feet seem to effect the dynamics of the gear. Not worth the hassle. It’s very strange because with other components from other brands I’ve improved on the standard feet. Another example of why I believe this company is so good.

4 Likes