Naim Olive

Before the legendary 52… was the super cool 72 !

14 Likes

72 and 92 @GeoffC my first Naim purchase, from Better HiFi in Liverpool.

1 Like

“Super cool”. That’s exactly how I feel…
Other pieces might be better, (SQ). But, I just love the shape, size, proportions, the design of the 72. Even quirky! Along with same size HC & 140, they look super cool together. And sound just great.

I’m discovering that 72 - HC - 140 gives a lot of music from small boxes / low foot print items.

6 Likes

The shops name should have been Best HiFi.

1 Like

Brilliant place, it’s where I found music again, what a shame that they didn’t last

1 Like

Agree!

11 Likes

Particularly like your “traffic light” photo :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes. All genuine colours/versions too.
All recently serviced and driving some little Dali bookshelf speakers ( via naca5) in a second system.

5 Likes

Yep, remember you posting about them before:) You need to add the sheets of paper to the system description in your profile :smiley:

2 Likes

Agree on 72 but that 92 never became a star even its probably better than the later follower 112

1 Like

I’d have to disagree I’ve been running a flatcap olive and 92 in to a 250 while moving things around and having stuff serviced. Good little combo imo.

I wasn’t really suggesting that they were equals sonically, just that the 92 shouldn’t be forgotten. I had mine with Flatcap/90.3 all bought in one go and kept it for about 15 years! If it wasn’t for the 92 (and the chaps at Better HiFi- let’s not forget the free coffee either😉) I wouldn’t be were I am now in naim land…I would be richer of course…but that’s just a trade off😆

1 Like

Here is a question for you guys, if you had the option for active speakers would you break up the summit olive system (52/135) and replace the NAP135s?

For example an ATC SCM40A?

That is one scenario where I have often thought I could be tempted to give up Naim amplification. Passive 40s are awesome. Haven’t heard the actives, but it seems they are universally praised as stunning. It would be a very elegant solution while still Lee the Naim sound at the heart of the system.

Agreed snarfy. I’ve read so many good things about them. But would i be losing the Naim sound I wonder. I absolutely love the sound of the 135s. I’ve preferred the sound of these over far more expensive power amps.

1 Like

For my personal taste and the budget I want to allocate to the subject, I would only assemble the system with the 135s.
This is also my plan to make the system active in the future.
I got used to the boogie that this amplifier provides and I will miss if I replace it.

1 Like

Yes, I have heard the ATC SCM40A on a demo night at my dealers and fell in love with them! They should sound fantastic with the NAC 52.

Of course a demo in your own room to make sure they are a good fit should be arranged.

Good luck with your decision.

1 Like

If you love the sound of the 135s why change?

I love my CB 135s, fully serviced, they sound gorgeous.

Is it an itch that you need to scratch?

2 Likes

I hear you. Going with passive 40s would still be pretty awesome.

Not an itch no. I was just asking for opinions or perhaps the experience and advice of somebody who may have heard the actives vs Naim power amps. Truth be told I prefer the look of the gear as much as the sound and breaking up my coveted olive setup wouldn’t be my immediate thought.

2 Likes