Naim Olive

I didn’t say that my CB/Olive 250 wasn’t ‘better’… Most careful, with my wording… :thinking:

I have seen an argument expressed on here, than the unregulated Naim NAP’s, such as the 110, 160, 140, 180 or 200 - are ‘faster’ or more open - that the regulated NAP’s - such as the 250, 300, 500. @Richard.Dane is a big fan of his 110 - as he has posted above.

Yes, give your 140 say another 995 days, then report back… More musik…!!!

2 Likes

1 more view, FWIW.

The 140 is a great little amp, but to my ear the 250 is vastly more controlled, especially when things get complicated, and more consistently open and unstrained. I used an 82/ Hicap/ 250 for many years - the 250 is the one thing I have not upgraded or replaced in the last 35 years (just serviced every decade or so).

I am no expert, but my understanding is that the D9s are excellent but discerning, needing both some space around them and strong amplification to give their best. If you decide that you do need to make a change, I’d suggest hearing at least a 250 with your current speakers. If that’s what you want, olive 250s are a real bargain.

3 Likes

I’d argue against the cb or olive 250 with D9’s. There is a vast difference between my cb 250 and my classic 250-2 in to my D9.2’s. The cb 250 fully serviced last year just does not do them justice, whereas the unserviced 250-2 takes control of them. I read that there shouldn’t be a difference but in my use there absolutely is. If you are going to invest in something new for the D9’s go to the 250-2.

I already own both a NAP250DR and now, since a few days, also the NAP140. Neither of these amplifiers are going anywhere. The 140 I bought just for fun and curiosity and it is lovely.

@bruss the 250DR is my amp since a few years and it works really well with the D9. Have no intention of changing it to an older 250. However a pair of 135 could be something to try but first a 52😊

1 Like

Thanks Bruss - a user’s view is a lot more use than mine! It is interesting that some speakers (e.g. Xplorers) get on brilliantly with every 250 going, while the D 9.2s are less forgiving (if I have understood you correctly) but really sing with your 250-2.

1 Like

Yes I have a soft spot for the cb kit generally but the later kit tends to have better control particularly with the less easy speakers, or so I have found.

72/Hicap and new to me 250 all back from @Darran after service. Not even warmed up yet and still sounds wonderful. :smile::smile::smile:

32 Likes

72/hi/140 next to my bed.

15 Likes

My camera’s not really up to the task, but I’ll see your 72/HiCap/140 and raise you my 72/HiCap/52/SuperCap/250.

:smile:
Just watch the big guns come out now with Statements by night.

17 Likes

I have just seen a very nice looking Olive HiCap, sold on a well know auction site, for less than £285…!
Maybe ending the listing at 8-30am wasn’t such a good idea…
But… someone go a good deal, IMO… :astonished:

1 Like

Not sure it was nice looking but a fair price for an Olive needing a service and recap.

I think I payed GBP 300 for it and send it directly in to the wizzard near Sheffield. There is something special with the 72/hi/140.

2 Likes

I also see a HiCapDR sold for just £500 only 2 days ago.
Signs that the inflated prices for second-hand equipment bubble has burst?

Noted by the seller that it had a discernible hum, but didn’t affect the sound. Yeah.

On looking at its photos, I agree. A bit ‘tatty’ - but probably nothing that a bit of black paint wouldn’t fix… :thinking:

My ‘pre-loved’ HiCap cost me £375, back in 2012. But, this was from a Naim dealer, in near new condition and boxed… :expressionless:

I paid £450 for my Hicap last year had been serviced 6 years previously. Same for the 72. The 250 cost £850 with no service history. Al have original boxes.

1 Like

My used HC was un-serviced, from new - built in 1990.
It went to Class A, not long after I got it…

2 Likes

That was a good price. I have bought a fair few bits from the bay and sold a couple. There are good buys and even an occasional bargain but I also see some cheaper items that I really don’t see the value in, unless you like a gamble. :slight_smile:

Used prices in UK are higher than here in Australia probably because naim better known and a wider market

Hicap olive here probably around the £200 mark

Mine - or the eBay one…?

I have no problem buying - or selling - Naim or other stuff. Both my 72 & my 140 were from The Bay, for no that much money… :astonished: