Naim Prices - April 1981 -!

Were they subsumed within Audio T, or some other company with multiple UK branches?

One of the first ever ‘serious’ hifi shops that I ever went into was Westwood & Mason in Oxford, when I was a student there. Not there any more these days, so I wonder what happened to that?

In the early days a Naim preamp is less important than the amp?

Wow I bought my 42N and 110 from Radfords on 24/11/1984 a day after you and it was serviced for the first time in 2021. a bit overdue :thinking:

Great shop Radfords and nice staff

2 Likes

Ian – any chance you could scan the article and post it here…?

Please don’t post review scans here without permission of the copyright holder. Thanks.

1 Like

I was thinking it is probably not allowed even for a defunct magazine so that answers my unasked question

I bought my first Naim set up from Westwood & Mason when I was a very junior and impoverished RAF officer…. I knew the owner; he was always generous with discounts for those of us who knew him. I think they closed in the 90s.

That’s a shame. They always ‘tolerated’ my presence in their shop, although they knew that I could never afford to buy anything as a hard-up undergraduate.

I recall that the there was always an LP12 of some description in the shop window or in the shop itself, well before it became the überdeck that it has become. (And they always used to run a classified ad in the relevant section of ‘Gramophone’ magazine, with a photo of an LP12.)

1 Like

I know what you mean. Julian and Nigel had immense patience for the casual observer masquerading as a return customer! They sold me a NAP90, NAC 62, a pair of Epos ES14s, a Nakamichi BX125 and later a Denon CDP. That was my set-up for the best part of 30 years. Even with a 20ish% discount a Linn was never going to be affordable on top of that invoice - I could only afford the odd visit to Blackwells Music shop…
I only have the Nak left - I just bought it a new Potentiometer for the volume control - aside from that it still works fine though.

There was a very angry, ginger-hair-and-bearded man who managed Blackwells Music Shop in Holywell Street in my time - pianos and other musical instruments on the ground floor, with LPs and cassettes in the basement. (CDs had not seen the light of day.)

He was a truculent clucker, who seemed to enjoy disproving the maxim that the customer is always right! Happy days! (I always wondered if Sir Basil Blackwell, the shop’s founder and an honorary Fellow of my College, knew quite what an ar*e he had managing his Music Shop!)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.