Naim Servicing

DPD delivered my newCyrus Cdi Xr from Nottingham hifi arrived in perfect condition. Having said that I did ask Nottingham hifi to leave factory sealed the inner box was well protected with a robust outer shipping carton. This was still sealed from Cyrus so outer shipping cartons really help.

Well, that’s excellent news.
DPD delivered an actual parcel.

Michel at Naim-Focal in Canada and Chris West at AV Options can provide excellent service on Naim equipment. Both are fine gentlemen as well.

1 Like

To be fair to DPD, my experience of them has all been good and they often deliver stuff here. One of the three drivers that work this area is very pleasant and efficient. The other two are ok…

2 options:
AV Options in Chicago area I believe. Led by Chris West who worked for Naim service in England for years. He is top notch. I have used them for years and had multiple Olive boxes serviced. Always a good result.
Other option is Focal-Naim distributor in Canada. I know someone who used them and was satisfied with their work. My recently purchased 500DR was DRd by them before I owned the amp. So far so good but have only had it a few weeks
David

2 Likes

I think it’s as much of how Cyrus double box their gear. It also helps as the boxes are shoe box sized. Anything Cyrus I have bought from Nottingham has always been well delivered.

Another Hermes fail for me last week. Goods just sat in their depot day after day so I cancelled my order with the retailer.

My Chord stuff (Dave, Étude) is double boxed as standard despite being smaller and lighter than comparable Naim items with their big heavy transformers. I get that manufactures are under pressure to reduce packaging these days, but given the eyewatering price of this stuff it really needs packaging that lasts.

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade - but I was speaking of cost effective service in North America. I have found the Naim Canada service to be cost effective. Previous to its availability I went all the way to the UK.

2 Likes

About packaging, the ND5XS2 came in a double box. A plain brown one over the familiar white Naim box. But the NDX2 a few months later just come in a single white box again.

I have never seen any Naim delivered to my U.S. dealer that wasn’t double-boxed. Every product I’ve ever bought from my them, Naim or otherwise has never had shipping labels on the product box for the the very simple reason that no one in the U.S. in their right mind ships any electronic component or speaker that isn’t double-boxed. OK, my speakers weren’t double-boxed…they came in wood crates. I’m saving those for my wife and I to use as coffins later.

7 Likes

If I compare Naim packing boxes, thru the ages, the new/recent stuff all come in significantly bigger boxes that the CB/Olive stuff did. Not double boxed - but ‘bigger’.

Indeed. My NDX2 arrived securely in its box, but wrapped in additional black plastic to protect the contents. My Devialet had been back to France a couple of times for upgrades via UPS but this travels triple boxed with no issues. The delivery drivers have a tough job - easy to criticise from the comfort of our homes whilst they deliver our packages…
I would have thought there was a market for better courier transport for high value, delicate items such as Hi-Fi. As good as they are, I wouldn’t want 555 series components traversing DPD’s logistic network !

2 Likes

Has anyone good first hand experience of recent turnaround time for servicing? Will check in with the dealer next week for an update but curiosity is getting the better of me. Days, weeks or months? Cheers

My boxes were recently serviced by the Dutch Naim distributor. Turn around 2,5 weeks for 4 boxes +. DR upgrade. They did an excellent job.

1 Like

I have had no issues with Class A, in Sheffield. Typically around 2 weeks, under the present situation.

Or did you mean Naim Salisbury…?

Thanks but it’s booked into Naim in Salisbury.

1 Like

It’s a very long time since I had anything sent there… sorry… :expressionless:

2 Likes

Assuming the dealer got a reasonably near-term estimate for when the Service Dept could start it when he phoned Naim for an RMA number and assuming the parts are available, then my experience is that Naim normally turn round a straight forward repair/service in about two weeks from the agreed start date, to which you need to add the time for your dealer to get the unit to Naim and then to recognise that it’s your unit when they get it back from Naim and move it to you.

My local dealer is always slow, eg more than a week to arrange the courier to take it to Naim and only looking for my box in their goods inward store when I chase it, so in their case I would add at least a month for the handling to and fro outside Naim, but a decent dealer could be expected to take half that time or less.

Don’t forget that Naim will have had a shutdown over Christmas/New Year.

1 Like

DPD managed to damage my speakers twice when I bought them, the first time one box looked like a fork lift fork had gone through the side :rage:

1 Like