Naim SL2 tweeter replacement

2 Likes

5 Likes

7 Likes

Great job and good to get confirmation that the hook-up wire will need to be replaced.

2 Likes

Wow, thats a nice job done on the SL2s. May even be a performance improvement coming up as the whole system beds in. So good that naims wonderful speakers are still servicing our love of music. Is there any spec on the new bits of wire needed so that consistancy is maintained, guage? copper quality?

Thanks for posting this!
Mario.

1 Like

Thanks Mario

I am anticipating it will be an improvement from early findings. The wire Naim used originally was multi-core 4mm2 copper (I think it was stamped 12awg)

As my only “Audiophile” option for a quick collection was my local Naim dealer I was anticipating coming away with NACA5 but they suggested the more malleable Chord Epic X which I used

1 Like

Very interesting. And there was no blue hylomar between the tweeter and the frame?

There was some darkish green/black gunge on both the old tweeter and the O mount ring, but bear in mind the tweeters have been replaced at least twice and and I’ve not used any Hylomar or the like and did previous replacements

I did contact Naim late last Friday regarding the required cable spec and asked about Hylomar, but the Tech guy I spoke to said speakers were before his time and to Email the enquiry in and Class A said they dont do speaker repairs

Perhaps Richard could get the definitive answer on both of these

I’m sure @NeilS could ask Clive or Mike whether they recall whether Hylomar was used between the Tweeter and the arm ring on the SL2.

I don’t recall Hylomar when I replaced my SL2 tweeters a few month’s ago.

Massive thanks to Clive for his out of hours assistance:

“Yes there should be Hylomar. About a 2mm bead round the metal ring in line with the fixings. Torque I think was 0.8nM on the 4ba bolts.”

As for the wires, I can’t find a definitive spec, but they are 4mm CSA, 56/0.3 strand copper, manufactured by BICC to the best of my knowledge. Look closely at the wires - I think they are printed with some data?

Regards
Neil.

8 Likes

That’s great, thanks Neil (and thank you Clive!).

IIRC the hook up wire used was RS 56 strand, which is still available from RS Components.

2 Likes

I believe that RS 56 Strand was the standard Naim recommendation, for speaker cable, , pre the indroduction of Naim NAC A4.

I managed to find the original RS part numbers, but they’re long gone.
This would appear to be the same stuff, black also available.

Regards
Neil.

7 Likes

Bish bash, bosh! :grinning: :+1:

[Apologies for silly joke].

In case it’s useful, there is some discussion from post 64 of this thread about SL2 tweeter installation:

1 Like

Yes, with a light twist every so often, IIRC.

Side note got some nice new sl2 grills yesterday. Way more tidy, was surprised how much firmer they are compared to the 15 year old one’s I have.

From my own 1985 NAP 250 instructions (1 sheet of A4) -

3 Likes

That sounds very much as JV language. Did he write the manuals?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.