Naim snaxo/kudos 707

I recently posted my problems with contacting naim re my new purchase of kudos 707 speakers and ordering a new snaxo 3-6-2. I have now received an email stating that naim are no longer supplying snaxo crossovers and my order is cancelled! brilliant… my initial enquiry was wether a 2-4-2 could be reconfigured for the speakers and I was told to wait for naims reply, looks like I will be waiting until next christmas for that… can anyone there at naim please just inform me IF I can have ny 2-4-2 modified ? OR I have a rewired as a 3-6-2 snaxo 3-6 . as you can imagine after spending £15,000 on a pair of speakers which I cannot use actively.

1 Like

AFAIK, Naim did a prototype SNAXO for Kudos but the project never went anywhere. I’m not aware that it ever went into production (I could be wrong here - probably best for Naim to confirm or not).

I can’t speak for Naim here, but if it’s just case of adjusting the crossover points then it might be possible to modify an existing SNAXO as part of a service - you would need to specify the crossover points and I guess, being untested, Naim would not be able to make any guarantees performance-wise. If on that basis they didn’t want to do it then I wouldn’t be surprised.

Do you know whether the speakers need a 2 way or a 3 way crossover? Note that if it needs a 3 way crossover though, a 2 way is no good, and vice versa. However, if there’s more to it than that then it’s likely a non-starter.

thank you richard, in reply the kudos website shows a snaxo 3-6-2 being used [connection diagram] BUT with only the midrange and the treble connections being used, strange ? I have tried speaking to kudos but without any sucess they don’t seem capable or willing to divulge crossover points.

I think Kudos would need to advise here. Without knowing the crossover points there’s not much can be done.

Well, after the mystery of the Snaxo price hike I guess there’s the final nail in the coffin for Naim active systems. RIP multi box active rigs.

1 Like

Perhaps you need to talk to Exposure about their VXN active crossovers, which do actually seem to exist, whereas the Naim/Kudos version mysteriously vanished without trace.

1 Like

I have heard 707s active just after 606s active with the same crossover. So whatever works for 606s should work for 707s. That was at Acoustica but Cymbiosis is I believe still using 3x250 into 808s and is surely the authority on active titans

I’ve recently attended an active 808 demo. Maybe Naim wants to sell the demo stuff?

Clare wrote this a while ago.

As noted above, SNAXO are now UK-only, and a special order item, as opposed to a standard SKU - which I suspect is why your order was cancelled.
I’d suggest phoning/emailing Naim Support directly, as any modification would fall under Service/Repair, rather than Sales.

2 Likes

If all else fails Exposure who make amplifiers etc also make an external crossover for Kudos speakers.

1 Like

Kudos are closed currently as they are enlarging their factory hence the lack of a reply currently but they will be up and running again shortly. Your retailer would/should have been informed about this in Nov/Dec last year. A 707 is effectively an 808 without the lower box. Given the mid output on the Kudos 362 delivers the same frequency range as the bass output, you only use the Treb and mid outputs on the SNAXO 362 that is correct. Leave the bass outputs unconnected unless you go for 808s in the future.

KR

Peter

1 Like

No demand! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I have several on order and many clients hoping to upgrade in the medium term.

Passive is great but active is so much better, clients love the sound and Naim sell more power amplifiers :flushed: Everyone benefits surely?

KR

Peter

3 Likes

A question for you Peter. From S1/ 500 into passive 808’s would you recommend Full Statement remaining passive or go with 3 x 500’s active? Thanks

One for your dealer to demonstrate I feel.
I love active as it allows owners to upgrade over time when they can afford to and that’s why I have an active system here pretty much 100% of the time.

When annual global sales of a product line struggle to get into double figures, it’s time to either discontinue the line or make it a special order - otherwise it’s simply not viable (especially in current component-insanity times). That’s the situation with SNAXO - still here to order in UK, just not as a standard price list item.

Yes Clare there is much insanity about and in the mean time us retailers will do the best we can to cope with this like everyone else. I hope the SNAXO stays special order in the longer term then, as otherwise you, I and other Naim retailers will be loosing sales of amplifiers in the longer term. This is not good as I pointed out at that that dealer gathering in Salisbury you attended back in late 2018 as you probably remember!!

KR

Peter

1 Like

Well I was asking you but I’m not surprised that you won’t commit.

Fully understood: the amp element was factored into the decision.
And my oh my… 2018 feels a lifetime ago!

1 Like

Only the lucky few can afford Statement. Far more can one power amp whether 250/300 or 500 then get another and go active with all the sonic benefits! Obviously with 808s one can go passive Bi-amp first before a third amp allows you to go active with a SNAXO 362. A nice progressive upgrade path over time rather than in one huge hit. This is best for most as I’m sure you’d agree.

2 Likes