Naim software performance

Bugs and poor performance with the app are the main reasons why I’m probably going to be moving away from NAIM. Not the only reasons but certainly towards the top of the list.

That seems a cheap explanation to me, I never had any problems with a TV digital output not being recognized by the old Naim DAC.

Have you tried the optical connection? My Panasonic connects to the 272 quite happily.

Hello,

all in all the naim app is working but there are some things that IMHO could be made much better. E.g.:

1. After using another app and reopening the naim app it requires some seconds to reconnect to the Superuniti. In the meantime you see a spinner icon and all the content is rebuilt. I think the behavior would be much better if the app expected that it still has to show the same content then before (playlist, folder view, etc.) and does a refresh in the background. Only if the content did change somehow the app should do a visible refresh. This would make the app feel much quicker.

2. On android if you browse a folder view, scroll down some artist folders and enter one, the artist list jumps 1 or 2 screens upwards when going back. The app should keep the exact position that it had before entering the artists folder.

3. The whole GUI concept should be made clearer. Why does the start screen shows a list of radio presets? It would be better to only show all inputs without the need to horizontally scroll them. Also I always wonder how to add a radio preset (e.g. iradio) because I think that I am already in the radio input section. But you have to switch to it first.

Also to enter the NowPlaying-Screen you can click on the album icon. Ok. But to return to the previous screen you cannot press the same screen area to do a simple toggle between the two screens. Instead you have to click the close icon on the other end of the screen.

Very confusing is the toggling of the now playing screen between cover+playlist and cover+song-details page. The later is not very useful with the multiple covers to the left and right. It is not intuitive that you switch the tracks by swiping to the covers. I first thought that it is just another view to the playlist and I could scroll inside of it. Instead of this only one NowPlaying-Screen should be implemented that is showing cover, details and playlist.

Also a UI concept like BubbleUPnP would be fine. You have three tabs: NowPlaying, Playlist und Library. This makes it much better to understand where you are.

Just my 2ct.

Greetings
Gert

1 Like

I borrowed an NDX5 XS2 - I use an NDX as a transport hub for UpNP, CD and TV and wondered if there’d be any sonic uplift in addition to the new functionality - and couldn’t get it to recognise a signal from my Sony AF9 via the optical connection (everything new this year, so should be in tip-top shape).

So, apart from the fact that there was no sonic benefit (no surprise here really, as when we were at Naim last year I asked Steve Sells if there’d be any benefit and he said the digital bits before routing the signal out hadn’t changed), the inability to capture the optical signal ruled the new stuff out for me.

1. I have no such issue. The connection time is about one second to open the Naim App and be ready to play music. If you see a spinner then your network may be at fault.
  2. Never use folder view so can’t comment.
  3. Yes just displaying inputs would be fine with me.

It’s the same button to toggle between Now Playing and the tracklist.

I never skip tracks anyway so the swipe or not doesn’t bother me.

I use Bubble and agree that the three tabs works well :blush:

Me too. I find the screen useful for that purpose and I hope they improve its functionality as it deserved to be better used.

Indeed, Sonos, Roon and BluSound have it nailed, I’m just giving some perspective that far away hills are not always greener.

.sjb

2 Likes

I have the same unit as you. No issues at all for me.

I agree.
The old dCS app was straighforward to use - but it crashed several times a day!
The firmware switchover to the dCS Mosaic app was ok.
The new dCS Mosaic app was much more stable, but a bit less intutive to use.
It showed sample rates and album covers full screen (and had twinkly MQA lights).
But it had almost zero artist info, which was a big negative for me.
Naim’s integration of really high quality short summaries of important LPs by excellent music critics is priceless as part of understanding the music.
Overall, I significantly preferred the Naim app and it was great to return to this when I sold the dCS Network Bridge.
Overall, Naim software and the Naim app does everything I need very well, and is very stable, and keeps improving all the time.

4 Likes

Until recently, I had a superuniti and did not recognise the problems that some people experienced. The superuniti was hard wired and the app was used on an iPhone SE and iPad mini 4. Yes there was the very occasional glitch but a quick reboot of the app solved it.

That’s bonkers. If the NDX and 272 can do it, so should the new platform streamers. Two steps forward, six steps back.

It’s probably my network because I always turn it off over night. Even my iPad doesn’t connect sometimes as I have to manually do it on the odd occasion. It’s not the ND5 XS 2 but maybe the app also. I don’t keep everything constantly on.

If you turn off your home router every night, and then when you turn it on networked devices all get new IP addresses, I can imagine that things don’t work so well!!

It all works fine in general. I can’t and will not leave my network on over night. Simple. Been doing it for over five years. The only niggle I have is the second command for ND5 XS 5 to turn on from Standby. That’s it. This tells me my network is fine and turning it off overnight does absolutely nothing.

I’m fascinated! What possible reason could compel you to turn off the router overnight?

Avoid blinking lights, save some energy, avoid polluting radio channels for nothing … why do you care? There are folks that like switching off the gears they do not use and folks that like not using the gears that are on! The reasons why Stephen_Tate prefers to switch off his router are irrelevant to the discussions, aren’t they?

3 Likes

Same here, waste of energy and not filling my apartment with EMF pollution

3 Likes

I’m sure DHCP servers are not all the same in this respect, but mine doesn’t often assign different IP addresses to my devices, and certainly not just because I turn it off. Perhaps some have a very short DHCP lease time, in which case maybe increasing it might help.

My BT HH6 never changes IP addresses & its been shutdown a few times & I’ve manually renewed the licence.
Compared to one of my old BT HH5 hubs it changed all the time, another HH5 didn’t, one was type-A the other type-B.
So yes it looks like it depends on the router/hub DHCP mngt software