Naim software performance

NDS. Really happy with Naim App as control. Faultless. Only wish Qobuz could be added to older streamers but do understand not possible. Using iPeng and LMS as workaround and again works fine.

1 Like

I guess that depends on your modus operandi? I simply plug the Qb in and when the lights come on, it Bluetooths to my iPhone and Spotify chooses the music. Nothing else is that easy …

My Nova was pretty close, I plugged in the Ethernet cable, powered up the Nova, synced the remote (I think from memory that was holding it nearby and pushing a button, it was pretty simple), and it found the NASes which have my music on. The app found it, and everything was easy. I really found the set up of the Nova really simple, and basically apart from a couple of freezes of screen in the early days, it’s just worked. Now I see from here that other people had different experiences, but mine was very good.

1 Like

I often wonder if they’d have been better off not having the screen at all as we weren’t happy until we could turn the display off!

1 Like

Apologies for all the typos above!

It’s pretty, but I have it turned off on the Nova and the ND555. I suspect the people on this site may not be the new market that they are looking to attract, the screen gives Naim a very stylish looking product for a different market. It’s really attractive, and for many people I can see why they’d want it on. I suppose it’s for me like a vinyl cover, enjoy the picture, then maybe read the words, but don’t look at it for the whole album.

1 Like

I find the screen on the NDX 2 and ND 555 unnecessary and I very much prefer the look of the ND XS 2. That said, I would not bother so much as long as the screen can be turned off.

1 Like

Entirely agree - it’s not really there for the traditional Naim customer demographic - it’s a good quality display in fairness, but I just don’t tend to look at it for the artwork/track info, and I suspect the newer customers they are trying to attract wonder why on screen functionality is rather limited when it could offer more ‘features’ in software (and there were certainly some pre-release screenshots that showed some display modes we don’t have currently).

1 Like

The one thing I do find the screen useful for - more than anything else - is a numerical visual indicator of the volume level you don’t quite get with a small slider on a mobile device.

1 Like

I love the screen… I find the album art visualisation really helpful… I don’t like to be a slave to the iPad… so looking up to see the album art across my room on the NDX2 really works. I never switch my display off.

2 Likes

Pity they don’t implement it a bit better though, on the NDX2 you have to go in to the menu to switch off rather then simply having the option on the remote, when you want to switch back on its back in to the menus but even then it doesn’t wake up until you use the remote. Even with my Nova I could never figure out why it wasent a simple toggle on the remote with a time-out override in the menu to switch off after 30 mins or whatever. Also the option to permanently display the track info screen would be good too. I like the screen too but it’s functionality is frustrating. The proximity sensor was nice on the Nova and would have been good if they’d carried that across to the streamers too and have common functionality across the range.

1 Like

I’ve got an Auralic Aries G2 which has their Lightning software (for iOS only).

I would have previously been quite critical of Naim streaming software but to be honest Auralic is no different, bits better, bits worse, but compared to Auralic a company that only came on the scene with streaming, Naim aren’t doing half bad at all.

(To clarify I really like the sound of my Aries and being Roon ready I don’t have to use Lightning if I don’t want to, just like Naim in fact).

.sjb.

1 Like

I’m looking for a really basic, start from the beginning, guide to resetting a Cisco switch. I’ve got a RJ-45 to USB patch cable for it, but that’s it.

1 Like

But we are not talking about rocket science here, just functionalities that can be implemented or improved rather easily: screen setup and on/off switch, dhcp refresh, metadata management and export, etc.

Given the costs of Auralic and Naim streamers and servers, software deficiencies of this kind are not acceptable, especially if you think that there are open source solutions available that work perfectly.

1 Like

Let me get this straight. You haven’t connected up and used your Nova and Core because of a limited amount of comments from some of the people on this forum?

4 Likes

Actually, over the years, there’s been an awful lot of adverse comment across a large number of threads. But, yes, you’ve got it …

however today most of the initial problems are resolved…

A mate has an Atom & Core, has since replaced the Atom with a Nova, its ethernet wired & linked in with his AV system, they use both Android & iOS apps & it all works & he’s happy as larry.

Plug them in and try them.

2 Likes

overall very happy with my ND5SX2

Was crushed that the digital input didnt recognise the panasonic tv digital out signal.
(naim said it was probably too much jitter in the tv signal so i am going to test try a sony tv and if it works will have to buy another tv as i dont want to use a cheap dac as its power supply introduces a lot of rubbish into the electical supply)

other than that just need to sort the wake up (might be cisco 2960 settings) and also stop the app from going to sleep while the streamer is playing

oh and cant listen to top quality tidal setting