Naim Superline question

Or fully serviced at least.

1 Like

Power amps and power supplies, yes. But low current preamps and phono stages shouldn’t need a service for several more years. Maybe @Richard.Dane can advise?

Re servicing, all I can say is that my Superline was serviced after c.11 years and there was no push-back by Naim or from a very well regarded UK dealership around the timeframe.

Having had various other 500-series items serviced, my guidance, especially around the 555PS’s, is not to wait 15Y’s, with servicing done around 12Y’s.

The article posted above is pretty clear I think. Otherwise, just listen. If an older unit sounds like it’s not performing as well as it should then a service may well bring it back to optimum form.

I’d continue to leave it out of the plan, given your system.

There are far more effective ways of gaining a better improvement to your system for the same money.

As someone who has used a Superline both without and with a Supercap DR. I agree that the SCDR takes it to another level.

However, the Superline powered by 252 alone was sublime on its own, and I would have been happy to keep using it that way. I wasn’t in the market for adding a SCDR, but a good opprtunity presented itself so I went for it.

So, I can wholeheartedly recommend a Superline even if you never intend to add an external PSU to it. It punches above it’s weight class all on its own IMHO.

1 Like

Of course, not spending again on a power supply may help with more major source upgrades yay some point too.

1 Like

Agree with you wholeheartedly

Like you I started with superline straight into preamp

And it’s great just like that

To me one of naims great products

Yup…it is special, and I had a great phono before that (Herron Audio VTPH-2a) and auditioned a Boulder for $1k more cost too.

FWIW: Keith Herron is a personal friend (lives 10 miles down the road from me), and was ready to modify my Herron phonostage to synergize with my Naim better (and he knows what he’s doing). When I told him I was selling my Herron and getting the Superline instead he completely understood. We’re still friends. :slight_smile:

Well it’s great to hear you are still good mates

More important than losing that over a couple of pieces of metal , no matter how good

Cheers

Bevo

Keith is one of the nicest and most easy going people you’d ever want to meet. He was interested to hear who I sold my Herron to so he could get the new owner entered into his customer support system. He has since ceased production of new units, so now used ones sell for more than what they cost new. They come up on the pre-loved market very rarely. As it is I sold mine for 90% of what I paid new, after using it for 6 years. They are that good.

I must have a look at them on web

I don’t think available here in Australia

Thanks for letting me know

Regards

Bevo

Yeah, I think the Herron brand was mostly distributed just in the US. Acoustic Sounds is one of the U.S, dealers. I bought from them, and then Keith emailed me and arranged to hand deliver it, rather then ship it. That’s how we became friends. He also made valve/tube preamps and SS amplifiers. He started out before that making valve/tube guitar amplifiers.

Here he is, delivering it in 2014.

1 Like

Is he semi retired now ?

Yeah, pretty much. He is about 70 now. That picture is about 8 yrs old. He has stopped production of the VTPH-2a within the last year. I think he still does the tube preamp and SS mono amps, but am not sure for how long.

Truth be told, he loves tinkering end improving so I don’t think he’ll ever retire 100%, and he’s pretty awesome when it comes to supporting his customers with a personal touch. He loves it. As far as he and I are concerned, we really love listening to music. When he originally delivered my phono-stage, he hung out with my wife and I for the rest of the afternoon (hours…) just listening to music and enjoying that part of the experience. He’s been back, and I have been to his place too. We connect a few times a year, plus birthday well wishes. He’s one of the good guys in the industry.

1 Like

Fantastic

I have a similar relationship with my Naim dealer here in Sydney over 35 years

He is , like your friend, one of the good guys in this industry , a few of them still left

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.