Naim Supernait 3 review

AFAIK Clare is still doing PR for Naim.

There is a site director Alan Clarke……on companies house?

Thanks.

Indeed, as Head of PR, rather than Marketing Director. Naim seem to change management rather (too?) regularly.

Alan Brooke, not Clarke. He was production manager at Stannah Stairlifts a while ago. Probably helps with the Naim upgrade ladder.

9 Likes

Thx my poor memory……but no sight of him, in the background

I’m here :slight_smile:

Supernait 3 differences neatly explained in this review:

On the wider subject of DR: it is an evolving technology - Naim is always seeking ways to implement it in additional and more sophisticated ways in each product launch.

3 Likes

FYI I became Head of PR for Naim and Focal in Jan 2020; that’s nothing new!

9 Likes

Thanks for the review, Clare, but unless I’m missing it, it’s silent on the ‘more DR’ angle, which is what’s been debated above and where it would be helpful to know in what way the implementation in the 3 differs from that in the 2, if indeed it does.

1 Like

I do not think it is necessary to refer to marketing articles as “the words of the living God” …
At the end of the day, their purpose is to arouse in the reader curiosity, which will make him, delve deeper, later in the article, in which he will probably appear, more pompous expressions.

I guess, one of those things where, they make more of what we already love when they quietly improve on something, but don’t wish to alienate SN2 owners.

1 Like

What Hifi review on SN3 was very positive. However they wrote that those who have already the SN2 don’t need to replace it by the SN3.

4 Likes

SN2:

SN3:

1 Like

Stephen, you are absolutely correct. I’ve just had this from Steve Sells, the man who designed the thing…

‘Hi Nigel

We love vinyl here at naim HQ and wanted to add it to the SN…It was at the forefront of our minds with Roy, Gary, myself, and others working on Solstice. We’d also been doing some sound tweaking on power amplifiers. The two came together at a perfect time and the SN3 was hatched.

Both SN2 and SN3 use the same 24-volt DR module. It is the same DR module as found in HiCap to 552PS etc (Statement uses almost identical circuits but integrated onto the various PCBs). The SN DR module powers the pre-amplifier section. A HiCap upgrade does the same but has two DR modules for additional circuit isolation.

The SN2 to SN3 upgrade in sound quality comes from improving the power amplifier section. The power amplifier’s second gain stage was reconfigured resulting in approximately double the slew rate. This is the maximum rate to which the output signal can react to the input signal, e.g., how many volts it can move in a second when told to move as fast as possible. While the musical signal may not need additional speed the feedback will work faster.

Best
Steve’

Before anyone worries that I’m quoting out of turn, I said in my original email that I’d quote verbatim, in the hope that it would put the confusion to bed. Which it now has.

13 Likes

Nigel, it’s great to have a definitive answer from the designer(s) of these magical amplifiers. Now we can all rest easy. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

5 Likes

Oh, that’s fantastic. Thank you very much indeed for asking the question! It is a great reply from Steve Sells too.

4 Likes

Thanks for asking and sharing. Case closed!

So I hird.

G

1 Like

Interesting comment. Thanks for sharing that.
However, then, I don’t understand why some found the SN2 easier powering some speakers vs the SN3. If the SN3 has « double the slew rate », it should, in my modest understanding, drive easier the speakers vs an SN2. Not ?

I think it’s because people say that this or that drives speakers better when they hear sound which they like more. I’m always sceptical when some say SN3 can’t drive something and you need at least blah blah. I suppose that SN2/3 can drive about anything - at least from the electrical perspective :wink: if you like the effects is another matter…

4 Likes