Naim Supernait 3 review

You may be right. However I remember, maybe it was @ryder , I think to remember, that he had SN2 and SN3 at home and was surprised that SN3 clipped with his speakers, but not the SN2.

it would be surprising looking at almost identical specs and some improvements in output stage…but who knows.

Strange conundrum, FR which sounds as if that particular SN3 needs a factory check if it was exactly the same system used at the same volume for the same speakers.

I’ve never seen a “backwards” iteration of a Naim product after so long - a possible can of worms here - has anyone…? Almost everything I’m aware of has been an improvement from former models as part of their evolution. At its very worst, a side step but never a regress.

1 Like

I think you got the wrong person. I don’t have any experience with the Supernait 2 or 3. I only tried the Nait XS which produced a lacklustre or dismal performance (with Harbeth SHL5).

I found the original thread, but not exactly what I wrote above. Anyway the member was Newcomer.

« newcomer

Feb '20

I have already commented on several threads, the SN3 is a magnificent amplifier, but with a much more limited headroom than the SN2, and does not get along well with difficult loads (4-6 Ohms), and less if they’re also with low sensitivity (P3ESR=83.5dB/1W/1m). Not even the Rega Aethos is prepared for that impedance during prolonged listening at medium-high volume, as the manufacturer already warns on its website that “Continued use of high level at 6 Ohms can cause the housing to exceed 40ºC above the ambient temperature and activate thermal shutdown.”.«

4 Likes

drives my Atc scm 7’s with ease and they have been measured at 82db in a review rather than the quoted 84, but an easy impedance curve.

1 Like

They do indeed, I never take my listening above low to medium.

I bought the Aethos and it is a fine amplifier, it’s also a very heavy amplifier with all the inputs on the wrong side. (for me) . So with cataracts, two dodgy knees if I needed to get at the back of it - it was an accident waiting to happen .

What I suspect was the issue was the dealers room was much larger than my humble sitting room and the SN3 wasn’t perhaps best suited . Later I home demoed a Nova and in the much smaller room at lower levels the performance was fine .

I now have a Nova and am very pleased . I suspect that there are alternatives to the P3ESR which will perform close to the original ethos (pun intended) of the BBC speakers that were the starting point for it’s design - especially the Spendor 4/5

Afterwards I was left with the very strong feeling that if I had a home demo , things would have turned out very differently , especially if I had later had my HiCap upgraded

best wishes

Ian

7 Likes

Wonderful to go from stairlifts to a ladder

1 Like

I somehow have an association with Led Zeppelin.

4 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Hello FR

I asked Steve Sells about this, and if anyone should know, it’s him! His response was:

“SN2 and SN3 have the same output stage and same PSU and can drive the same current. The measured headroom will be identical.”

Anyone suggesting that the SN3 has less headroom than the 2 is therefore incorrect.

I hope that helps.

10 Likes

The HiCap DR gives a great improvement to the SN3, if it doesn’t, then something else is amiss…same with SN2, XS 2 and any other Naim amp that one cares to to connect it with.

4 Likes

Have to disagree WRT Nait XS (original model). Some like the effect of adding a HC but to me it made the Nait sound forced and unrealistic, as opposed to the fluid sound of the amp naked or with a Flatcap XS. I recall one well known dealer-poster on here describing the sound as “manic”, a good description of what I heard. OTOH, on a SN1 a HC was transformative and I would not have bought the SN without it.

Roger

3 Likes

Same with a Supercap I had spare. As you say, best with a Flatcap or just on its own.

2 Likes

I compared a bare Nait XS to the Rega Elicit mk2 in my system about a decade ago. I would agree on the fluid sound of the bare Nait XS. In fact, there was very little difference between the Naim and Rega as both sounded quite alike. I did not try any power supply on the Nait XS though.

I added a HiCap DR to my NAIT XS 2 and it certainly made for an uplift in performance, enough for me to want to purchase it anyway. I found it calmed the amplifier down and made it even more listenable? The DR technology adds something special i think, and with a beefed up supply to back it up, even more so…same goes for my NDX 2 when adding the XPS DR or HiCap DR to SN3. No negatives that i can detect, just a better signal and more music.

4 Likes

Has anybody compared the XS3 /Flatcap V stand alone SN3 ?

ni, but ive had a xs2 with serviced chrome bumper hicap and then went to SN2… a different more darker & muscular presentation so assume the same applies for the newer components

Before purchasing the SN3 ,I auditioned the xs2+flatcap vs the sn2.
The addition of flatcap made a huge improvement to the xs2.
But the sound of the sn2 was far superior.
I suppose the same result stands for the xs3+flatcap vs the sn3.

I use my SN3 naked and it delivers more than I’ll need in my humble room.
I’ve a very good friend with the same amp and speakers as me and he preferred the SN3 without the Hi cap Dr installed.
The SN3 on its own was way more musical and with the Hi cap was more hi fi he sold it. :+1:t2:

2 Likes