Naim Supernait 3 turn on 'noise'

I used to have an Audiolab 8000A and the SN3 will be a huge upgrade. Enjoy it, warts n’ all.

1 Like

The Supernait is certainly designed for it and it does refine the preamp (which is the part of a Supernait a HiCap provides power to) to an extent. Having come from a SN2 in my case the differences are more subtle but measurable none the less.
I found the source made a bigger difference going from an ND5 XS2 to an NDX2, regardless of how you end up configuring it you’ve got that headroom to grow in to and it’s a very capable and enjoyable NAIT without doubt.

I’d not spend money on a Hicap until you have a much better source. The suggestion to get a streamer (ND5XS2??) and rip your CDs is a good one. If you can find a second hand CDX2 though I’d maybe try this…

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have moved the Supernait 3 to a different listening room and connected it to a higher sensitivity speaker (Q Acoustics 3050i, 91db). Last night, at zero volume, I could hear music playing from the cd player if I put my ears next to the speaker. In addition, a small ‘pop’ noise can be heard when changing source inputs. However, these observations are not noticeable at my listening chair (2m away). Is this showing in your 252?

Just the input switch relays when changing inputs…,most amps will do it

1 Like

You are worrying unduly. Turn it on, leave it on, don’t stick your ear to the speakers, and just enjoy the music. Don’t get a Hicap at this stage. Spend the money on your sources. I’d be replacing the RP6 with a Planar 8, and getting a nice used CDX2 if you want to stick with CDs. The 5si isn’t up to the SN3. Now may be the time to look into streaming: an ND5XS2 would be good, an NDX2 better.

2 Likes

1 Like

I don’t have a huge LP collection so not incline to upgrade my Rega RP6. I have ripped most of my cds into my laptop via Jriver, and using a ifi nano one dac for music playback. A streamer is probably the next upgrade path for me. However, my home internet speed is not good. Plus with my son’s gaming (study from home) and wife working from home (due to fear of covid outbreak), I will not be able to fully utilize a good streamer. Anyway, thanks everyone for the kind inputs.

I couldn’t try this weekend, but I believe so. Like the others wrote, you are worrying too much :slight_smile:

The pop when you switch off means the power supply capacitors is discharging. While switch on, it means the initial point when all the current hits the capacitor for charge up. Some other amps also does this when they don’t have any relay in the speaker outputs.

Just leave it on. For lots of reasons.

1 Like

I am thinking of getting a Denafrips ares II dac and hook up to my laptop (Jriver) for music playback. Do you think this will beat the 5si? Currently, using a ifi nano one dac which is more revealing than my Arcam Alpha+.

I’ve really no idea, but I’d be doubtful. Controlling everything from a laptop sounds far from ideal.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.