Naim Uniti Atom+ Nap 200 = Uniti Star (minus CD drive)?

I am wondering if I buy Naim Uniti Atom and add a NAP 200 (Non DR) wether it will sound as good as the Uniti Star which has also 70W. Or do the Star and Nova have better DAC and other components in it than the Atom besides the more powerful amplification?

I don’t need the CD-drive of the Star but the extra power would be welcome.

2 Likes

I think this is something you really need to decide for yourself by getting a dealer to demo them for you. The Star and Nova are more than just an Atom with a bigger power amp, so there are arguments for getting a better one box player, and you still only have one box. On the other hand, the 200 is certainly a better power amp than any you will find squeezed into a Uniti.

1 Like

On the other hand, the 200 is certainly a better power amp than any you will find squeezed into a Uniti.

I am talking about the older NAP 200, not the DR version they are selling now. Is that still better than the ones in the Star or Nova?

The DR reference in a 200DR concerns only the power supply feed for a preamp, so if you are adding a 200 onto something like a Uniti, it makes no difference at all whether it’s DR or not.

I believe the DAC is the same in Atom, Star and Nova.

Best
David

Oh ok, I didn’t know that. Thanks for pointing that out!

1 Like

Yes, I would say it is still a significantly better power amp. Just be a little careful if buying an old one though, in case it needs a recap or service. No need for the DR version though, as David explained above.

The Star and Nova are more than just an Atom with a bigger power amp

Do you know what are these difference? Is the DAC different? I am very curious about the real differences besides the power amp.

Also worth considering a Nova, 10% off Naim just now brings it close to price of the Star, no CD drive and 80W

Some reviews say Nova use PCM1792A and Atom use PCM 1791A so DAC chip is different. DAC chip inside Star is unknown.

New Uniti use Class AB power amp and traditional Naim power amp is Class B. They sound different.

My understanding is that the Uniti’s have different pre-amps as you go up the range as well as DAC, so for a one box solution with more power, the Nova would be my recommendation. If you want the steamer and more power in 2 boxes then the ND5 XS2 and the NAIT XS2 is another option.

I use to run the NAP100 with a UnitiQute2 which was nice, but with hindsight not using elements of an all-in-one is not the best long term approach.

Hi @Hifi_Naim_CNNL,

Have you listened to the Atom? What is the reason behind wanting to increase the power?

Have you listened to the Atom? What is the reason behind wanting to increase the power?

I heard the Atom and I liked the sound. However the speakers I am considering are:

• Spendor A4
  • Proac DT8 (a 4 Ohm speaker)
  • Monitor Audio Silver 300

I am afraid that maybe the Atom doesn’t have enough power to drive these well. Especially the Silver 300’s as MA recommends an amp with 80-200W.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on specifications, part of the difference will be down to optimisation of internal layout, which will be much easier to achieve in the larger boxes, especially in the Nova. Best to get your dealer to earn his money by setting up a proper demo so you can use your ears to decide.

1 Like

I think best option is to have a listen to those speakers with an Atom at various volume levels and then see if more power is what you are after. Naim’s 40W sounds like no other 40 I ever heard before.

From Hi Fi World review of Atom in Jan 2018, review can be found on Naim website.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.