Naim Uniti Nova- I Finally Pulled the Trigger

So I finally did it, my Uniti Nova was delivered yesterday. Superb build quality and wow, is it heavy?
How does it sound? No idea as I ordered speaker cables at the same time which are currently on a 96 hour burn-in, so I have to wait. My fault, I should have ordered them earlier.

15 Likes

Congrats with the Nova, Iā€™m confident you will have lots of fun with it!

1 Like

did you get the NAC A5 cables? I hope so. Iā€™m on my 3rd week with my Nova. First week I used AQ Type 5. The Nova overheated and shut down. Replaced with the Naim cables, no more problem and improved everything. Congratulations, great purchase! What speakers are you running? Iā€™m Focal Chora 816, the cheapies! Which sound absolutely excellent.

1 Like

Enjoy your Nova. I have a new Nova. I had the Atom for three years which I sold. Great improvement obviously.

3 Likes

No, I have Tellutium Q Silver 2 on order. I hope that they will be here early next week.

4 Likes

Congrats! If envy could kill, I would die now. :wink:

1 Like

Oh sorry, I answered previously in the car and missed the speakers question.
Sonos Faber Venere 2.5

1 Like

Well done on your purchase. Incredible piece of kit, taking virtually no space, cables noticeable by their absence and amazing sound per volume(give it a month to open up).
Just the slow process of ripping your CDā€™s onto a drive, unless you forego all of that and use a streaming service. Internet radio is brilliant as well - I recommend FIP if you like an eclectic variety of music. Enjoy.

3 Likes

Funny that you mention the size, Despite having a couple of demos in shops before the COVID craziness I was shocked when I opened the box at just how diddy the unit is. I guess I forgot.
I have heard that the running in process is slow so will be patient.
I ripped thousands of cds onto a nas drive a few years ago so thankfully donā€™t have to go through that pain again.
I do use Tidal normally but had a free trial of Amazon music a while ago so cancelled Tidal but I will get it back again when the trial runs out. Quobuz seems to be popular too but has gaps in the catalogue so I read.
I havenā€™t heard of Fip before but will be sure to give it a try. We usually listen to internet radio while having dinner as itā€™s convenient.

Qobuz catalogue is fine for me. Very few times Iā€™ve looked and not found. and very happy with the sound quality. The only slight disappointment Iā€™ve had with Qobuz is when something (such as Dark Side of the Moon) isnā€™t yet in HiRes.

2 Likes

congratulations on the nova. i switched from the star to the nova. a big improvement. afterwards I even added a NAP250DR, which was another big improvement. could also be a next step for you.

2 Likes

Soā€¦ :flushed:ā€¦duh I guessā€¦I didnā€™t even considerā€¦Iā€™d always thought SN3ā€¦of course Iā€™m new to the gameā€¦soā€¦(back to beginning) we can upgrade the Nova with just an ampā€¦That Iā€™d like to hear. Not now, I just got my Nova three weeks agoā€¦And thatā€™s pretty pricey. Butā€¦So with the NAP250DR one would also wantā€¦a power source? Hi Cap? Do you? (I really donā€™t get WTH they are yetā€¦lol)

I really wouldnā€™t worry about it. A Hicap powers a preamp and you would not need one if you added a power amp to your Nova. The Nova is great as it is, and itā€™s designed as an all in one. The ability to add a power amp allows a move to a separate streamer and preamp, should you wish to go to that way. I sold a 250DR to someone with a Nova and he felt it made little difference. Just enjoy what youā€™ve got.

6 Likes

No, with the Classic range pre-amps you need an external power supply if using the 250 power amp, with the Nova it canā€™t use an external power supply, so the 250 is fine with the Nova with no other boxes. But I wouldnā€™t think about that yet, my Nova with PMC speakers makes music really enjoyable, so just sit back with a glass/cup of your favourite beverage, and enjoy your lovely system.

EDIT I posted just after HH and feel like an echo.

3 Likes

Very good advice. Just enjoy the journey. No need to rush.

2 Likes

Yesā€¦to allā€¦I do have the Powerline coming so that is my current anticipation. This is whatā€™s so addicting, the decision and the waiting. And I do have mixed feelings about any poweramp addition to the Nova. The idea of the wasted amp makes it a bit unsavory to me. I think I may swing to separates if I get that urge. But for now, I do think I can be happy with what I have. Speakers would be the next logical move anyway. And I should add, these cheepo 816s really bristle at that suggestion!

2 Likes

Another thing that took me rather too long to learn: thinking about what to buy next stops you fully enjoying what youā€™ve got now.

11 Likes

Yeahā€¦itā€™s like staticā€¦but Jeff Buckley ā€œLive at Sin-Ć©ā€ is keeping me focused!

I canā€™t stand Jeff Buckley. Have you tried listening to his dad? Much better.

3 Likes

I tried Qobuz for a while but the whole family are using the Nova via a Spotify connect family account, so the forthcoming cd quality streaming service should give a nice jump in SQ. Another thing to mention is that the Nova can be operated perfectly well without ever having to touch it, once youā€™ve set up the input/max volume parameters of course. My rule with my 4 kids: you can use the Nova but you mustnā€™t touch it. Keeps the grubby finger marks off my pride and joy and yet prevents me from appearing to be a sour šŸˆā€ā¬› by not allowing them to listen to music through it.
I highly recommend you set the max volume parameter if youā€™ve got kids around, although it sounds like you may not, in which case, donā€™t worry.

2 Likes