Naim Uniti Nova- I Finally Pulled the Trigger

So I finally did it, my Uniti Nova was delivered yesterday. Superb build quality and wow, is it heavy?
How does it sound? No idea as I ordered speaker cables at the same time which are currently on a 96 hour burn-in, so I have to wait. My fault, I should have ordered them earlier.

15 Likes

Congrats with the Nova, I’m confident you will have lots of fun with it!

1 Like

did you get the NAC A5 cables? I hope so. I’m on my 3rd week with my Nova. First week I used AQ Type 5. The Nova overheated and shut down. Replaced with the Naim cables, no more problem and improved everything. Congratulations, great purchase! What speakers are you running? I’m Focal Chora 816, the cheapies! Which sound absolutely excellent.

1 Like

Enjoy your Nova. I have a new Nova. I had the Atom for three years which I sold. Great improvement obviously.

3 Likes

No, I have Tellutium Q Silver 2 on order. I hope that they will be here early next week.

4 Likes

Congrats! If envy could kill, I would die now. :wink:

1 Like

Oh sorry, I answered previously in the car and missed the speakers question.
Sonos Faber Venere 2.5

1 Like

Well done on your purchase. Incredible piece of kit, taking virtually no space, cables noticeable by their absence and amazing sound per volume(give it a month to open up).
Just the slow process of ripping your CD’s onto a drive, unless you forego all of that and use a streaming service. Internet radio is brilliant as well - I recommend FIP if you like an eclectic variety of music. Enjoy.

3 Likes

Funny that you mention the size, Despite having a couple of demos in shops before the COVID craziness I was shocked when I opened the box at just how diddy the unit is. I guess I forgot.
I have heard that the running in process is slow so will be patient.
I ripped thousands of cds onto a nas drive a few years ago so thankfully don’t have to go through that pain again.
I do use Tidal normally but had a free trial of Amazon music a while ago so cancelled Tidal but I will get it back again when the trial runs out. Quobuz seems to be popular too but has gaps in the catalogue so I read.
I haven’t heard of Fip before but will be sure to give it a try. We usually listen to internet radio while having dinner as it’s convenient.

Qobuz catalogue is fine for me. Very few times I’ve looked and not found. and very happy with the sound quality. The only slight disappointment I’ve had with Qobuz is when something (such as Dark Side of the Moon) isn’t yet in HiRes.

2 Likes

congratulations on the nova. i switched from the star to the nova. a big improvement. afterwards I even added a NAP250DR, which was another big improvement. could also be a next step for you.

2 Likes

So… :flushed:…duh I guess…I didn’t even consider…I’d always thought SN3…of course I’m new to the game…so…(back to beginning) we can upgrade the Nova with just an amp…That I’d like to hear. Not now, I just got my Nova three weeks ago…And that’s pretty pricey. But…So with the NAP250DR one would also want…a power source? Hi Cap? Do you? (I really don’t get WTH they are yet…lol)

I really wouldn’t worry about it. A Hicap powers a preamp and you would not need one if you added a power amp to your Nova. The Nova is great as it is, and it’s designed as an all in one. The ability to add a power amp allows a move to a separate streamer and preamp, should you wish to go to that way. I sold a 250DR to someone with a Nova and he felt it made little difference. Just enjoy what you’ve got.

6 Likes

No, with the Classic range pre-amps you need an external power supply if using the 250 power amp, with the Nova it can’t use an external power supply, so the 250 is fine with the Nova with no other boxes. But I wouldn’t think about that yet, my Nova with PMC speakers makes music really enjoyable, so just sit back with a glass/cup of your favourite beverage, and enjoy your lovely system.

EDIT I posted just after HH and feel like an echo.

3 Likes

Very good advice. Just enjoy the journey. No need to rush.

2 Likes

Yes…to all…I do have the Powerline coming so that is my current anticipation. This is what’s so addicting, the decision and the waiting. And I do have mixed feelings about any poweramp addition to the Nova. The idea of the wasted amp makes it a bit unsavory to me. I think I may swing to separates if I get that urge. But for now, I do think I can be happy with what I have. Speakers would be the next logical move anyway. And I should add, these cheepo 816s really bristle at that suggestion!

2 Likes

Another thing that took me rather too long to learn: thinking about what to buy next stops you fully enjoying what you’ve got now.

11 Likes

Yeah…it’s like static…but Jeff Buckley “Live at Sin-é” is keeping me focused!

I can’t stand Jeff Buckley. Have you tried listening to his dad? Much better.

3 Likes

I tried Qobuz for a while but the whole family are using the Nova via a Spotify connect family account, so the forthcoming cd quality streaming service should give a nice jump in SQ. Another thing to mention is that the Nova can be operated perfectly well without ever having to touch it, once you’ve set up the input/max volume parameters of course. My rule with my 4 kids: you can use the Nova but you mustn’t touch it. Keeps the grubby finger marks off my pride and joy and yet prevents me from appearing to be a sour 🐈‍⬛ by not allowing them to listen to music through it.
I highly recommend you set the max volume parameter if you’ve got kids around, although it sounds like you may not, in which case, don’t worry.

2 Likes