Naim Uniti Nova Preamp/Sub Outs?

I’ve purchased a Dynaudio Sub 6 and am wondering how to connect it to the Uniti Nova. There is a stereo (L/R) PreAmp/Sub Out.

What I’m wondering is:

1. If used those outputs for Sub Out, do I need to connect both L and R cables? Does the Nova output a “sub” signal in stereo, assuming the sub will do the mono subbing and crossover?

2. Do I need to choose any setting on the Nova through the Naim app, to make it a sub out? (If using both L and R, I’m assuming no)

3. Is this going to be a full range signal that needs to be crossed over, or is there a way to do crossover internally inside the Nova?

4. Are these outputs always active and monitoring whichever input is selected?

Thanks.

You should be able to just use the RCA sub outs on the Nova directly to RCA inputs on the sub. No settings are required on the Nova, it should just work and adjust the crossover and gain etc on the sub.

2 Likes

Like Mike says, and just make sure you use 75 ohm RCA cables. Readily available.

1 Like
  1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Yes and no
  4. Yes
1 Like

You generally don’t want to crossover in the amp/receiver in a 2.1 setup, your main speakers are full range and expect a full signal. Cutting off a part of the signal would almost always have a negative effect on the properties of the speakers. Instead the sub should be used to extend the main speakers, using the right frequency and slope to provide a smooth transition.

1 Like

That is some great sub that you purchased! I have been looking into that sub as well to compliment my Dynaudio Contour speakers (only need to find the budget and convince my wife :sweat_smile:). In your profile I see that you play with Evoke 50 loudspeakers. The good thing about this sub is that it has built in presets for many of the modern Dynaudio speakers. These presets are basically cross over settings specifically for Dynaudio loudspeakers. If you select the setting for Evoke 50, the sub will automatically supplement your Evokes in the best possible way. And yes, connecting a good quality and correctly earthed stereo RCA cable from your Nova PreAmp output into the analog RCA inputs of the sub 6 should do the trick.

Please post your findings here as I am really interested in how this combination turns out for you!

Thanks,
Richard

Wow, if you’ve got Contours then I’m sure you’re a man of means (or able to find really sweet deals) so finding the budget for the Sub6 will be an achievable goal for you! The contours look so glorious… definitely a life goal of mine to get either those, or some Focal Grande Utopias :slight_smile:

At any rate, the fact that the Sub6 has custom presets for the Evoke is what interested me in the first place. I currently use Dynaudio Core 47’s and a Core Sub in my office/music studio and the integration of the Sub in that setup is nothing short of spectacular. If I close my eyes I just feel like the full, muscular, yet ninja-like low end is coming from the monitors.

I wanted to experience that same thing coming from my Evoke towers, and although the Sub 6 won’t be connected digitally over AES-EBU, the custom crossover made me feel as though the tuning to the Evoke 50’s would be just as good. I’m super excited!

Question for you and everyone else, though – what is a “good quality correctly earthed stereo RCA cable”?

I am currently using the Audioquest Irish Red cable for my existing (puny) minx200 sub. That cable is mono. I’ll need stereo cables for this, for best effect. I was considering the Audioquest Sydney 2m RCA to RCA. It’s what I use from my Denon AVR to the Uniti Nova’s analogue input. I suspect that’ll also be ideal for its preamp/sub outs into the Dynaudio Sub 6. But not sure if it’s 75ohm or correctly grounded.

I notice my Irish Red cable has a weird grounding lead/spade that comes with it. But the AQ stereo RCA interconnects don’t have any such grounding.

Well, I am also on a budget, especially these C19 days. Anyhow, when I find one cheap it will be mine. :grin:

Regarding the RCA cables, AQ cables are perfect for the job, I have good experience with those. Just connect them correctly following the directional indicators on the cable. The AQ cables are grounded at the source end (in your case the Nova) and not on the other end (the sub in your case). That prevents ground loops (humming etc) to happen.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the sub 6. Makes me want one even more. :innocent:

How have you got on with the nova connection to your sub. I cannot get the sub output connections using rca to my SVS sub to work. Works on another Naim I have. Thanks.

Update: I’ve had the Sub 6 running for a few months now and it is stunning. It’s a perfect complement to the Evoke 50’s. Both for home theatre, where its presence is subtly but sometimes unmistakably felt in the weirdest places (the soundtrack for a reality cooking show, for example), but also obviously with music.

I have the Dynaudio Core Sub in my studio setup so I’m now familiar with how this sub technology works, and I have to say the Sub 6 is utterly fantastic. I am using the Evoke 50 preset, in the latest firmware for the Sub, and after speaking to Dynaudio I learned that this preset does not actually roll anything off in the Evokes. I had asked because I have a complicated setup with my Denon AVR and the Naim Uniti Nova functioning together (for TV/movies, whereas the Nova handles music exclusively itself). Because of that setup, and the fact that there was no way I could run audio out from my Denon’s pre-outs to my Nova’s pre-ins and then out the Nova’s pre-outs into the Sub 6’s inputs (to then send out to another set of pre-ins on the Nova, to drive the Evoke 50’s), I had to feed the sub and the Evoke 50’s directly from the Nova (the Evokes through the speaker wire, and the Sub 6 using the pre-outs). I was worried that the Sub 6’s Evoke 50 preset wouldn’t work because the Sub 6 wouldn’t be able to do the digital crossover to feed the Evokes because they were being fed in parallel.

Dynaudio told me that the preset doesn’t roll off the Evokes at all, because they’re designed to be full range and there was no good way to design a crossover for them that didn’t impede their performance. So the Sub 6 is merely an addendum to the sound. So I run the Evoke’s directly from the Nova, and use its pre-outs (sub-outs) to feed the Sub 6, a full scale (L and R) signal. The Sub 6 then crosses it over digitally and expresses the low end.

Interestingly, at low to moderate volume levels, the Sub does NOTHING. You can put your finger gently on the driver surround or driver itself and feel either nothing or the faintest of vibrations, barely perceptible even. And this can be with bass-heavy music. You have to turn it up to the point where it starts to get difficult to have a conversation in the same room, and then you feel the Sub working. Even then, it isn’t working SUPER hard (though it tends to do so when watching movies or really badly edited Youtube videos where someone has onboard audio directly from a GoPro strapped to the hood of a car in a drag race or something).

Setting the Sub up in this way isn’t ideal in terms of latency due to the DSP. I was worried that I would hear bass impact slightly smeared, but first of all, most drum sounds have a transient which is what our brains hear if there is any mismatch in timing, and the transient wouldn’t go to the Sub. Second, I feel that the sound is remarkably “together”. I can’t really tell it apart from my studio setup that includes two Dynaudio Core 47 monitors and a Core Sub, which all use daisy-chained AES-EBU digital connections, with everything crossed over digitally in the active speakers themselves. Because that full path is digital, the Dynaudio DSP does a bunch of fancy audio latency and distance compensation to get everything to hit at the right time. In the case of my Naim Nova plus Evoke 50’s and Sub 6, that’s not possible, because only the Sub 6 is using DSP, and it gets fed the same exact signal that’s going to the Evoke 50’s. But the latency is low enough (under 1.5 ms I was told) that it’s imperceptible.

And the combination of the preset with the Evoke 50’s is glorious. I spent a whole afternoon when my girlfriend was away A/B testing really bass heavy electronic tracks and I have to say, it was a subtle difference, which is great. It doesn’t slam you in the face, especially because the Evoke 50’s are nuts for low end themselves. But there is a subtle sense of more “darkness” in the room, a controlled sort of impact, that just makes the bass sound more expansive and rounded. As if the low end were emanating circles, but the circles are just bigger – and still with just as tightly defined borders as when the Evoke 50’s are being run without sub.

2 Likes

Thank you for your excellent post @pstare This is really useful. I have acquired a Sub 6 myself a few weeks back (for less than 50% of the list price :upside_down_face: ) and I love it. I have my Atom now connected to the Sub 6 using a stereo pair of RCA to XLR cables and the Sub 6 is connected to the power amplifier using a pair of XLR to XLR cables. Preset has been set to Contour S 3.4 LE and I have never ever heard a better sub integration than this. It sounds simply sublime.

It is especially interesting to read about the DSP settings and how these have been implemented for your Evoke speakers. Thanks again for your extensive post on this subject.

I have done some additional research after reading your post carefully. Your Evokes are full range speakers as are my Contours. So I have now connected my Sub similar as you did it, with one small difference: I have splitted the RCA output of the Atom:

1. RCA-XLR to the power amp
  2. RCA-XLR to the subwoofer

This way I can bypass the subwoofer DSP, which makes the sound through my Contour speakers a bit more natural and lively. The sub to main speakers integration is still excellent. Very happy with the result.

Thank you again for sharing your insights here! :+1:

Can I run my Nova and connect the pre-out to powered speakers? So have powered speakers in one room and the Nova amp running the other room?

‘Cause…wow…if my Nova can run my Mackie SRM 450s…phew…I bet that is pretty bad azz…

Sure that shouldn’t be a problem. :+1:

1 Like

You’d be wise to check that the length of the line level leads is ok - if they are long they may need to be slugged with a suitable resistor.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.