Naim Uniti Server SSD

It came with a basic SMPS power supply as standard when new. If the seller was selling it without its original PSU then they should have stated this.

Re. taking off the cover, we seem to be quickly moving into electronic DIY territory here, at which point the discussion will start to breach forum rules. My own view here is that you may well be best off returning it and getting your money back…

2 Likes

Adding to what @Richard.Dane said, the original power supply had a ferrite slug around the mains lead to keep the noise from getting out and onto the mains feeds for other units. So you would probably need to do something about that too.

1 Like

Yeah, it comes with its own power supply and IEC mains lead. If the seller didn’t make it clear that these weren’t included you should ask for a refund.

3 Likes

Well things have moved on a little and vis my nearest Naim Dealer (Doug BradyHiFi) have been quoted by Naim that they can repair or replace the CD Drive and add a 2TB HDD to the Uniti at a cost of £599 . Quite a steep price but it would then give me a fully working and updated unit plus the better user option of decent on board storage , will have to think about this .

Reading the comments here I presume that the only way to get any music on to the 2 TB HDD will be by ripping CD’s through the Uniti which given I have over 4000 CD’s is going to be a long term project . Still as I have my own music system full working then I can just do it as when i want to while surfing etc .

Thank you all for your suggestions and help it is appreciated and has at least resolved things in to an either or plan for me .

If you have existing digital music files you can copy them straight onto the Unitiserve hard drive using a simple copy and paste from a computer. There will be a folder named Downloads on the HDD for this purpose.

CD rips are stored in a separate folder. Of course it will take time to rip a large connection, although the Unitiserve makes this reasonably painless as you just stick in a CD and leave it. Editing basic metadata on the app is also pretty simple if needed.

Before you press go, it’s worth contemplating that you would be investing in a device that runs Windows XP embedded, which is well out of support from Microsoft and one of the consequential of that XP operating system is that you will need to enable SMB1 in whatever computer you are going to use to add anything to or edit anything in the downloads folder on its internal disc.

But it does work well for all that. But some people including me prefer the UnitiCore and there are many people here who are happy with a NAS instead of either. A NAS would cost a similar amount to what the service on your Unitiserve would cost. And you can buy a used UnitiCore for about £1500, which admittedly is a lot more.

1 Like

I think spending another 600 on this does not make a lot of sense. I would be looking around and seeing what else you could pick up for that amount that is not ancient.

For 800 quids you can have a brand new and modern Innuos Zen mini.

I get what you are saying but that means throwing this unit out and in the current world we live in that is just wasting resources . If Naim would take a more reasonable attitude to cost and recycling then this would much easier . But that is whistling in the wind which is a waste of everyones time . So I get the common sense advice but there is for me the view that I need to not waste things because that is t h e easy option .

To be fair, Naim are way ahead of the game when it comes to supporting their products, right back to the first amps they made nearly 50 years ago. Obviously this becomes a great deal more difficult with digital products but they still support and service them where thay can. Maintaining a service department that can do this isn’t going to be cheap, and if you think that paying £600 for a full service on a discontinued product that was developed well over a decade ago and retailed for over £2k perhaps Naim is not the brand for you?

Chris I think you need to read my comments and judge them in what I say not in what you think I said . I was the one saying I was considering paying the cost of the service / repair not that I would but what I might well consider . My answer regarding this was in response to another poster saying I should just move on .

I have strong feelings about not just trashing electronic items and were possible keep them being used . As you say Naim do have a principled attitude to looking after legacy items . But and this is the real point a cd drive similar to what is in the Uniti is £35 or similar , a 2 TB HDD Sata item is less than £60 or lets be generous less than £100 . The Uniti is fully working except for the cd drive and they want to charge £600 just to replace it . When I asked if I paid that amount would they install a 2 TB SSD (about £90 to buy for me ) they refused and offered the 2TB HDD . Now I am still considering this but in truth they are not giving me a good deal but I do not want to just throw away the unit in to my local tip so I am thinking about it .

Current law changes have made the rule that things need to be repairable and at reasonable prices . Naim as far as I can see are not operating under this but at least unlike a number of other companies they are trying to offer repairs . So yes you may well be right and Naim may not be the right company for me . This is the first item made by them I have bought in my 65 year life so maybe that says something as well . I openly in my posts admit much of this is my mistake but please do not try and make out that Naim are being noble or generous in their offers they are not they are going to make an at least 50% profit if I decide to send my unit to them and if I do that that is my choice and my acceptance of that profit to get what I want to work with . Oh and just add insult to injury I have to pay to have the items sent back to then and returned to my dealer as well .

My dealer on my behalf as Naim if they could supply me with a replacement CD Drive that i could fir myslef and they did say yes £182 was the price for a maximum £40 unit so they not being philanthropic at all but making a very high profit margin for a simple part .

Buy all means talk yourself around and say its for the environment its not my money anyhow. But ask yourself this, would you pick up a pc without a naim logo on, with motherboard well over 10 years old, with XP enbedded, PC2 ram, and proprietary software, then pay a further 600 quid to make it work?

If you look inside a unitiserve, its not IMO naims usual magic, there is not a lot of special sauce in there. Its a basic mother board with proprietary software. and standard hardware. I took one apart just so I could use the case.

Also consider you will have to adapt your network if you want it to see or be seen, due to its age it needs SMB1, which was deprecated due to security concerns.

The rear of the device is slightly different but can be cut to accept a standard motherboard I/O shield. The inside is standard ATX all the way. Build something cool in there?

A modest firmware update to the first gen digital devices (HDX, uniti series), to permit SMB 2 and 3 secure network communication would involve far less effort than their 1.7c update. But NAIM has stated they have no intention of doing this. Pity - their 30 plus year electronics support policy becomes less impressive if they ditch their digital device support after ~10 years.

I am not sure its that simple, they run windows XP! Did XP ever get beyond SMB1?

1 Like

That is indeed the point. Microsoft never patched Windows XP to run SMB2 or 3. It really isn’t likely that Naim would ever rewrite a totally obsolete, out of support, Microsoft operating system when Microsoft has already decided not to do so.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.