Naim Uniti Star casing becoming uncomfortably hot

I wonder if you have any advice. Twice now (today being the latest) I have been surprised by the temperature of the Naim Star casing - and this is in standby mode. I have no accurate way of measuring it, but can say that it felt uncomfortably hot to my hand. I’ve since turned it off at the wall. Is this a bad sign?

Standby mode is < 2W so it certainly shouldn’t be any more than tepidly warm.

What speaker cables are you using?

Check that you have the server mode turned off in the app.

2 Likes

Hello Robert. Tellurium Q Black II - 3 mtr lengths but coiled to a degree.

Thanks Mike_S. I am away from home at the moment. What is your thinking about this, could it be significant?

1 Like

The case is the heatsink for the Uniti Star and ICs can run quite hot when working hard, which is usually the case when the Star is in standby but still in server mode. Switch off server mode and see whether it runs cooler.

2 Likes

Also remove any connected USB drives, as these also keep the main power supply active and override power saving in network standby mode.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, my Nova runs hot sometimes, even if I am not using it for streaming (and server mode is always off). It’s quite unpredictable but Naim said it was nothing to worry about.

1 Like

TQ is fine, there are some cables that are less compatible and are best avoided but that’s not the case here. Incompatible cables can cause the amp to work harder due to inductance/capacitance.

I would do a test . Put an egg on it. If you succeed making a fried egg, then the Star is undoubtedly too hot.
If not, it means the temperature is below 64 C.

1 Like

Tried this on my Nova.

How do I clean the inside of it where raw egg has soaked through the casing seams before it started to fry?

3 Likes

Ah, it’s another problem. One problem each time.

You have to buy a Degritter then.

1 Like

I’ve got one but I’m still trying to get the egg out of that as well…

1 Like

“ bonne chance! “ :grin:

2 Likes

However, it can then be used as a rather flash griddle, so all is not lost.

1 Like