Naim Unitiqute 2 with one single stereo enclosure

No groaning needed! This is not about which pair of small speakers would work well with the UQ2. I’ve complied a list of small speakers with the help of reading this forum and reviewing various on-line HiFi reviews etc. Here’s my dilemma, and all friendly advice accepted.

My goal was to get some music back into my small study room (2.5M x 3.5M), and my original idea was to re-enlist the services of my UQ2 after some 7 years lying dormant and unused. There’s no space to fit for my old Tannoy 611’s (although I could actually place them on top of two small book cases which are 1.24 metres high - but this would look a bit silly and be overly dominant). With the additional thought being I could get my old Nakamichi CD Player 2 re-commissioned (for ~200 Euro) and hook it back up to the UQ2. But by the time I add a pair of half decent small speakers + repairing the CD loading mechanism) we’re talking about 1K+ Euro. I then realised (given the restricted set-up of my room) by placing 2 small speakers on the top of these 2 book cases which back up very close to a wall) I will probably never get the best stereo sound out of them - irrespective of which speakers I chose! Stand mounts not an option given the restricted space and shape of the room.

Hence, given my casual (but still decent) listening needs, I figured that a Ruark R3S could be the ideal all-in-one solution. Great connectivity and quality, and with a built in CD player - what’s not to like?! A second option being a QB2 as an alternative to the Ruark.

My mind then drifted to “what if I could hook up the UQ2 with a single speaker enclosure which gives stereo like sound?” If such an animal exists, this could be worth pursuing perhaps… or, am I crazy in this thinking? All thoughts and alternative ideas welcomed!

M.

Have you considered a TV soundbar which has RCA inputs.

You could connect from the headphone socket (3.5mm to RCA) or maybe from the Pre amp output RCAs.

DG…

I would either get a pair of speakers for the Unitiqute or sell it and buy a Muso.
There are loads af good small speakers around, some of which could work well enough on a bookshelf, or perhaps better on wall brackets.

I have proac d20r floorstanders in a room not too dissimilar from that size. Depends on how much furniture you have I guess. I would definitely look at speakers on stands.

Thanks DG, good idea! Never thought of that. I shall explore this route further.

M.

Thanks Chris, makes sense. The funny thing is (and I didn’t want to complicate my post by mentioning) we also have a Muso1 which is used as our main listening post in our living area and which doubles up as a sound bar for the TV.
Some years back, SHMBO insisted the Tannoy’s, Sony VCR, Nakamichi Receiver 1 and CD Player 2, and Naim QB2 all had to be banished. Given we also have a Humax, modem, and a BluRay DVD Player; I guess she had a point!
On the horizon I’d also like to upgrade the Muso1 - and it would be really convenient if Naim were to imminently launch a Muso3! Then - no discussion - I’d stick the Muso-1 in the study room.
This would also allow the QB2 to form part of the planned for AV / HiFi man cave in the attic which has been WIP for longer than I care to remember…

M.

Thanks Robert for the suggestion.

Id echo the recommendation to go for a passive soundbar like maybe the Klipsche or, preferably, true wall hanging speakers. I think something like Dali Oberon On-Wall would be the ticket but that is stretching your stated budget.

Thanks Zen for your suggestion, appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.