Naim Unitiserve Kaput. Poor customer care from Naim

FWIW 400 quid (minimum) to repair a unitiserve is not money well spent anyway. Aside from a nice looking case there is no reason I can think of to pay out that sort of money.

Itā€™s Pete not Paul and he has now taken over at Acoustica on Geoffā€™s retirement. I believe he does live your way and I am sure he will be happy to help with this particularly as you are a previous customer. I have had nothing but great service from Acoustica over the years and I donā€™t expect it will change now.

2 Likes

Agreed. He actually seems a bit nicer than Geoff!

1 Like

Agree, top bloke. Friendly, helpful and paid three visits to my house last year with really heavy active speakers even though itā€™s more than 30 miles from the shop.

Roger

1 Like

Well perhaps. ATC have a direct-to-factory service and repair system for customers in the UK. But you have to send them the appropriate form first and I suspect their dealer network was a lot sparser than Naimā€™s, at least until recently.

Roger

So where has Devil_20 gone advice has been posted :thinking:

Iā€™m still here. Iā€™m working from home so started at 8am this morning. Had an hour and a half for lunch and needed to go out and do stuff and finished at about 7pm and had to get dinner so Iā€™ve only just read the replies. I thought Iā€™d already said what Iā€™m going to do anyway. Iā€™m going to take it to HoL in Manchester on a future trip down there.

1 Like

And this is why Iā€™ve been a bit pissed off with all the hoops I have to jump through. Time, money and travel on top of the Ā£400 to repair. I was choking on the Ā£400 tbf (I think that might not include VAT), because the unit repaired probably wouldnā€™t be worth much more. The only reason it would be worth repairing for me is to recover the music on it, and thatā€™s not guaranteed, so I was taking that gamble. My own fault for not backing it up suppose.

Yep. Me too. Iā€™ve used them several times over the last 10 years or so. If I was getting an expensive amp repaired Iā€™d be taking it to a main dealership like Acoustica or HoL but for this Unitiserve itā€™s marginal if itā€™s actually worth repairing. See comment above.

Good for you.

Well not LInn, thatā€™s for certain. However, the prices Naim charge for repairs then why wouldnā€™t they want to repair it. Itā€™s well worth their while.

Well itā€™s up to you at the end of the day but if this is the second failure in 2 years then I am sure that Acoustica will challenge it with Naim on your behalf. That is what the dealer network is for and in my experience it works pretty well.

In any event a brief phone call to Acoustica to investigate the possibilities wonā€™t hurt. As you say Naim should have service records for the unit.

Yes I agree. I should at least get the dealer onside before it goes in for repair. In the past Iā€™ve only sent stuff in for service. This is the only Naim unit Iā€™ve had to send in for repair. As it happens, service and repair costs are the same and approaching the net value of the unit itself. If I can recover the music on it Iā€™ll be happy to pay but on the converse if they canā€™t then Iā€™m going to be left feeling I should have written it off as un-economical to repair. Iā€™ll let you know the outcome if youā€™re interested.

Iā€™m not familiar with the US, so maybe a stupid point to make. What are the files stored on inside the US? Is it a proprietary Naim hard disk? If itā€™s a bog standard computer hard disk then it should be straightforward to retrieve the files for a lot less than 400 quid.

Yes let us know how you get on.

Itā€™s a bog standard computer hard disk I think but not user replaceable like the Core.

I think most on here would agree that the Unitiserve was not Naimā€™s finest hour. Indeed if there was a poll on the worst Naim product ever it would be difficult to think of a real competitor.

Thatā€™s a good question. Iā€™ve had a look inside the unit when I was replacing the CMOS battery, in the vain hope that that may have caused the unit not to boot. I can confirm itā€™s a bog standard hard disk drive and the file format wonā€™t be Naim proprietary either. The only thing is the disk is bonded at various points to the chassis to stop mechanical vibration. Removing it wouldnā€™t be difficult but it would be obvious and it maybe that Naim wouldnā€™t want to touch it in that situation. I did notice when ripping the odd disk it did sound a bit laboured at times so it may be that the drive is compromised mechanically rather than the data on it being corrupted. Possibly both. If it was a horse it would be put down. I donā€™t know if the drive is PATA or SATA but it may be possible to connect into the drive in situ. Thanks for the suggestion. Itā€™s all packed up ready to go but I might dig it out and have another look inside it.

Naim can usually recover the music data when they service a Unitiserve, but you should be backing up your data in any case, so restoring it after a drive failure shouldnā€™t be an issue.

You clearly havenā€™t experienced the NV-I!!

1 Like

Files ripped from CDs by the Serve are indeed in a proprietary format. The individual tracks have no or little metadata if they are in wav - the metadata is stored in a carrier with each album folder - so if you are able to get them out they wonā€™t be in albums and it will be a total nightmare to sort them out.

If Naim can retrieve them, get the repaired Serve to convert them to flac and then backup to a nas. These flac files can then be served from the nas using Asset or whatever.

If you still have the CDs an option is to re-rip them using a new ripper or your computer.

1 Like

Quite - brilliant when working. Buggy piece of crap otherwise.

1 Like