Nait 2, Kans Mk1 but what DAC?

I don’t know about tha Macbook Pro, but I use Audirvana 3.5 on a 2012 Mac Mini. It is, however, dedicated to music use, running headless with no attached screen or keyboard, fully optimised following Audirvana’s guide so has a USB bus dedicated to the music output, no other software running, and it is using Direct Mode which bypasses parts of Apple’s systems (I stopped at El Capitan OS because beyond that Apple disabled this, though I understand workarounds are possible). My music store is on an SSD in the Mac Mini, so I dob’t have to stream music across a network. USB output goes direct to my Chord Dave DAC. I started with it into Hugo, which needed an isolator between (I used a Gustard U12) - the Qutest is probably OK without because it has galvanic isolation which Hugo didn’t.

When I set it up it sounded better than, and so replaced, the front end of an ND5XS (I had already adopted a Chord Hugo external DAC). At the time of first auditioning Dave, I had the opportunity for a comparison of my Mac Mini/Audirvana setup with a Melco N1A, and there was no evident difference, though it was only a short comparison. (Rest of system for that was Bryston 4Bsst2 amp intoPMC Fact 12 speakers.)

A while ago (I haven’t looked recently) I read some posts by Rob Watts, the designer of Chord’s DACs, in which he said that when travelling he uses his Mac laptop as source into Dave, and he seemed quite happy with it. I don’t know what software he uses, nor what he uses at home. He did cite a benefit of using on batteries, completely removing any ground path link to the DAC, where otherwise ground plane modulation is the most difficult thing to eradicate completely.

At the end of the day you’ll only know if you try alternatives and compare.sound quality, and of course how good the rest of the system is will make a difference to what source differences you might hear.

Sounds like a great set up. I should have specified I’m only looking to stream music directly over Wi-Fi. I have Tidal HiFi via Audivarna at the moment. I don’t have any saved music on hard drives or any other drive. I guess I’m just trying to work out what’s going to be the best sound quality with the Qutest. Keeping the MPB or moving to a dedicated Wi-Fi streamer.

I would have to look at how Audivarna is set up at the moment. But the laptop is only being used for that not anything else.

Hello. Have you managed to get your Kans back from Anapeach, if so how are they?

The Hi-Fi side was really good straight off the bat - kind of fresh and more open compared to my best unserviced pair. But as expected they took a long time to become musically enjoyable. They’ve now done 150 hours and are much closer to my best pair but still not quite as musically coherent. It’s tricky though cos they were shagged when I bought them, so I don’t really know what their potential is. The B110s test well but perhaps there’s more to it.

They have also been fitted with new surrounds so I’m hoping these just need more hours to loosen up - they are not direct replacements and even Falcon don’t make identical copies of the KEF originals although Anapeach believe their replacements perform just as well. I’ll try to post a youtube comparison clip next week once they’ve done 300+ hours - I find you can tell quite a lot if using headphones.

Amazing! Great to hear. Mine are sounding lovely as they are but I don’t know any better :slight_smile:
Cabinets in top notch shape for 40 year old speakers. Still waiting for some Phantom cable to arrive to hook up to the Nait 2. Currently using Audioquest Rocket 11.

Thanks! Would be great to hear the Youtube comparison.

I forgot to add that they are also different iterations, the serviced pair are gen 2 with B110 and the unserviced are gen 3 with B110B (same drive units as Kan 2), so too many variables. Basically, I’ve booked the good pair in already, so I guess that says something.

They will sound great with your Nait 2 once you have 60+ hours on them.

Done. You probably won’t hear much difference unless you use headphones.

They improved a lot over the weekend - my guess is that the surrounds finally broke in.

I still feel the unserviced pair are more musically coherent, but the sonic/Hi-Fi improvements of the service are considerable.

Brilliant! Thanks for posting. I’ve found the clips and when I have a quiet moment plug some headphones in and have a listen.

Great to hear it made such a difference :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Murmur, I went back recently to find this but couldn’t find. Is the link down? How are the speakers going now with more time?

Happy new year! So thanks to everyone’s help on here this is where I’ve ended up:

Naim Nait 2
Chord Qutest
Sbooster BOTW with Ultra MKII
Linn Kans Mk1
Which Hat Phantom speaker cable 2 x 4 metres
Allo Digione Signature with custom LPSU
NUC running Roon Rock OS

Next will be servicing the speakers and Nait 2 (last serviced at Naim in 2012)
Speakers are currently on ISO Acoustics desktop stands as they’re on a very solid bookshelf. I know this isn’t ideal but no way around it for now. Would definitely invest in the proper stands or wall mounts if I move.

All sounding really great though when the volume is at 9 o’clock upwards. Vocals are dead centre. Certain instruments really pop out. Soundstage seems nearly as tall as it is wide. Definitely has it’s holographic moments :slight_smile:

The Kans are currently about 5 1/2 feet apart - does anyone have a preference on the placement with these? I know they need to be very close to a solid wall (currently up against a brick one). I know all of this is very room dependent but just curious on people’s spacing.

Thanks again! This forum has been a huge help.

2 Likes

Yeah, sorry, I don’t keep most clips up for very long.

I decided that I didn’t like the serviced Kans and that was before finding an early pair that are a lot more involving than any of the others. I might just sell them on or perhaps get the caps changed from Solen to alcaps. Haven’t decided. I think the issue is that Linn put a lot of effort into component selection in terms of musical involvement. I know someone that wanted to improve his Katan crossover and there was one particular ‘cheap’ capacitor that he assumed he could improve upon, but no matter what he changed it for, they weren’t as involving. On the other hand, a friend and tunedem enthusiast is building his own speakers so I might get some help in that direction, but to be honest, I’m leaning towards unserviced as the best approach. I suspect without manufacturer support and ethos, servicing any Linn/Naim HiFi is gonna fall short, but I am trying to remain open minded.

No problem at all. That’s interesting… you’ve got me thinking now. Maybe if they sound good already perhaps I shouldn’t have anyone open them up and tinker! I don’t have anything to compare mine too except that I think they sounded more engaging to me than the much newer LS50 pair I just sold.
They are in very good physical shape at least on the exterior, they seemed very well cared for, and came in their original box and even came with their original pads to separately attach to the bottom. Will have to have a bit of think on that one…

I would either buy another pair to get serviced and compare head to head or buy my serviced pair :smiley: I would find it really hard to make good decisions without two pairs to compare against one another.

What serial are yours?

Mine are 125cm apart and 5cm from a solid rear wall (using Naim right angle speaker terminals). Spent quite a lot of time positioning them so you could give that a try. Nothing between them is better too, if you can place your system off to one side. What floor are the stands on?

Yes, will have a play a bit more with positioning.

There is definitely something quite special/unique about them!

Have you ever tried the toilet roll trick mentioned on here? Where you cut a roll in half and sandwich in between the speaker and wall?

Unfortunately they’re on a Ladderax shelving unit which is braced/leaning to the solid wall. It’s very solid/heavy but not ideal. Can’t put them anywhere else for now so just trying to get the sound as good as can be within the limitations. They’re on ISO Acoustic isolation stands at the moment that are about 2 inch high.

I’d not heard of it, let alone tried it :smiley:

The shelving unit might help give you some extra bass which is always handy with the nait and with kans.

Managed to get a pair of Sound Organisation wall brackets which I’m yet to set up. Any suggestions for any further small tweaks or should I just sit back and enjoy the music :slight_smile:

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.