Nait 5i(no italic) connectors

Hi there,
I have just got my first Naim product a used Nait 5i ( no italic) amp and am looking forward to setting it up.
It did not come with the plastic speaker connector which goes on the back.
In the manual it says this is for European regulations…I’m in Australia !
Looking at the connector online, it doesn’t appear to have any electronics in it and it attaches to bare wire inside.
The back of the amp says do not put individual bananas in there.
What sort of Witchery is this ?!
( I haven’t been in a hifi shop for over 45 years). Is this just to tick some European trade law box or is there some justification for this madness ?!
Cheers
John

You can use bananas, its fine.

1 Like

Its some sort of European Mains Safety thing, I believe… Because 4mm aka ‘Banana’ Plugs happen to fit into some European Mains Sockets… :thinking:

But not into UK Mains Sockets… :grinning:

The connectors Naim specify are their SA8 Speaker Connectors - the best connector here as it’s a perfect metal match and the housing brings some benefits in allowing the plugs to find the best contact within the socket.

The European regs bit was to satisfy the bureaucrats that you’d ensured nobody was going to use anything that could be accidentally plugged into a Euro mains socket, with calamitous results.

2 Likes

I don’t think you need to worry about the safety warning, but the Naim right angled plugs are a good match, as Richard says, and you can buy these separately if they were not supplied with your amp. Soldering them is a bit tricky, so it’s best to get it done by someone who knows how to do it properly. Well worth the effort in my opinion.

Thanks very much for the advice, I had a pair of Morrow connects and they worked fine.
Am interested what Naim connects would bring to the table ?
( I used to master albums for a living so my a/b skills are reasonably good)
Also, what’s with the “thump” when turning the amp on and off ?
Cheers

Richard explained the benefits two posts above. If you are using NacA5 the Naim connectors are well worth using, but perhaps less so if not.

The thump is normal, the answer here is to leave the amp switched on. It sounds best that way.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.