Nait xs 2 vs supernait 3

This matches my experience. When my Hugo 2 had a problem, I talked to Chord directly. They were very responsive and eventually the Hugo went back to Chord. They couldn’t “reproduce” the problem on their premises — God knows why… Instead of pulling their hair, Chord sent me a brand new Hugo. No problems with that Hugo, which is still providing an excellent service here. :grinning:

Neither Naim nor Chord are cheap — but an excellent service does not come for free…

8 Likes

more is not always better, Grasshopper - a Honda 50 scooter can be more fun than a Honda 500cc superbike. Likewise, an XS2 or a Nait 2 can deliver alot more fun than expensive 250s with active SBLs – is it a question of the number of boxes in your Man Caves?

4 Likes

I didn’t said the contrary. You can have more enjoyment with less boxes or the contrary.
You can have a better system with less boxes too. For instance a Gryphon Diablo integrated should be better, on hifi criterias, vs 112/150 for example.
What I wanted to point is when you reduce boxes, specially with Naim, you have to consider less ambitious speakers too. A big speaker will not compensate the downgrade in source and electronics.

2 Likes

I went from NAIT XS 2 to SN3 and the SN3 is quite a big step up in performance in every way.

5 Likes

I went from XS2 to SN3 in May this year, and, honestly, I still cannot decide if I like SN3 better. From my perspective, SN3 is much deeper on the lows and also punchier, the sound is more thick. To me, it’s a plus since I listen to a lot of heavy music. Of course, when you listen in, SN3’s sound is superior to that of XS2, and the build is much more solid, but had I listened mostly to female vocals or folk, I would have probably not been that happy as I am now with SN3, and miss transparency and lightness of XS2. (Additionally, I wanted the upgrade because I wanted to get rid of StageLine. I also get a nice deal on SN3, and this sweetens the pill as well). So, for me, upgrading to SN3 had more pros in the end, but if you are happy with your XS2, I would look at upgrading your sources like many people in the thread say.

9 Likes

Hi and welcome,

In my view system synergy is everything. What cartridge do you have on the Clearaudio? I don’t know if anyone has ever compared the phonostage on the XS3/SN3 with the Stageline which I thought was a quite brilliant little box. Your CD5Si is in theory out of its depth with the SN3 but it’s one of those products that punches well above its weight so should sound good all the same.

In any event enjoy your music.

Regards,

Lindsay

Hello Lindsay,

I do not argue about synergy, etc. Regarding my system: there was nothing wrong with StageLine, I just wanted to get rid of the extra box. I do not see a good reason to upgrade CD5Si, as I hardly buy any new CDs. And I am going to upgrade the Clearaudio cartridge eventually. But all this was not my point.

What I wanted to say is that the two amplifiers sounded very differently with other components being the same, and that upon comparison I discovered that XS2 was not bad at all (for instance, I had a chance also to listen to Nait 5Si in the same setup and it was definitely inferior to XS2).

So, you do not always need an amplifier upgrade to be happy. I was more happier with the change, in fact, when I added a power filter to my setup while still having XS2 then when I upgraded to SN3. Don’t get me wrong, SN3 is a “grown-up” device, XS2 looked a bit like a toy car next to a real car, but it still could produce good sound and I am sure that with certain music preferences I could have lived with XS2 much longer without spending away thousands for the upgrade. But you know how it goes…

1 Like

I was in the exact same situation earlier this year- I loved my xs2 which I had for a year connected to my middle range LP12, however I decided that I wanted a bit more punch and bass control so upgraded to an sn3. I traded my xs2 against a new sn3 with my dealer and only “lost” £50 over the original purchase price-
one of the absolute joys of the brand.
I have been delighted with the improvement- exactly what I was looking for and even better- I have no desire to add/tinker or upgrade either. Well, for the moment🤣

3 Likes

I think you say something so important. You don’t have to upgrade to enjoy your music.

3 Likes

I broadly agree with your observations.

I sent my xs1 off to Naim for a new volume control and full service back in july (as the volume control had become very noisy). But I couldn’t live without music for 4+ weeks, especially with the upstairs neighbours away for 3 weeks. So I pulled the plug and picked up an “open box” brand new SN3 for £2700!

Upon first switch on, I was immediately hit by the seismic increase in bass and some “thickness” and initially, I wasn’t entirely sure if I was enjoying the SN3 as much as the XS1. However a couple of weeks in (to burn in amp and ears) and I am marvelling at the sheer authority and vastly greater detail and ambience of the SN3. It is a significant upgrade and I’m very happy with my purchase but there’s not a lot wrong with the XS either and there was a time with I thought that it was enough.

I also recently bought a Zen stream and that (contrary to my instincts) seems to provide better detail and separation that the raspberry Pi+digione into my nDAC.

6 Likes

I also prefer the XS2 over the SN2. But much depends on what the amp has to drive -if your speakers are Magnepans which are current hungry, than you need an amp that can deliver plenty of current. If the speakers are Ovators they probably need alot of watts.
With a speaker that is reasonably efficient in a small or medium room, eg the Spendor A7, would a Nait 2 not sound better than a juggernaut like the SN2 or SN3?

1 Like

XS2 + CDS3/XPS2DR or CD5XS…

I own a xs2 and heard the SN3 at my dealer. Not a big fan of this new Naim sound. A little “round” to me. If I ever would upgrade, I would listen to separates of Naim, and others. A lot of extra money, yes. But then I quess you really would make a step up.

It is a little rounded, for sure, ‘but’ it’s better, a whole lot better, the SN3 that is. :grin:

2 Likes

I started out with a used SN2 but I soon raised an eyebrow at the many inputs and facilities, and power that I won’t ever use as the vol pot never got above 9 o clock- at that range it is not optimum - really needs a resistor at the preamp so that one can use it at the optimum range around 12 o clock - almost no one gets any where near 11 oclock as its too loud. Naim has ignored addressing this for years. Appears Naim was overtaken by marketing deciders after the olive series. Bigger is not always better in my opinion. I sold the SN2 and found a used XS2 and to my ears it sounds somewhat less powerful or less robust but sound quality seems very similar to the SN2. After lots of fooling around, I have found that the Linn advice is right- the source is where the money should go, its where the most bang for the buck is made.

3 Likes

hear! hear!:slight_smile:
I’ve also struggled with the volume gain on current Naim amps - but it’s the design at present and I believe it adds a different character and enjoyment but for me kind of lacks the air in the music and free flow that comes with more linear volume control, well at least as it is with the Nait 2.

2 Likes

Apart the MM phono stage in the SN3, the differences between SN2 and SN3 are explained in Hifi Choice.

“The most notable change is the removal of the cascode stage in the output. This has been a feature of Naim integrated amplifier designs for a very long time, but thanks to carefully optimising the second stage gain transistors the need for it is eliminated and the amplifier stability is said to improve as a result. This means the slew rate – the change in the output voltage relative to the input – doubles and translates to a sonic improvement, says Naim.

This is partnered with further refinements to the power supply arrangements, which were already fairly extensive to begin with. The Supernait 3 has a larger transformer than before partnered with a 24V Discrete Regulator (DR) module to power the preamp section and in the Naim tradition, this can be augmented with an external PSU. As with the Nait XS 3, the audio circuitry employs the same isolation techniques and chassis-mounted sockets hand wired to the boards.”

Some say that the SN3 doesn’t need an Hicap dr, but apparently both SN2 and SN3 have DR regulation. Only the transformer is bigger in the later.
Despite these technical upgrades, some found the SN2 more authoritative and able to drive difficult loads vs the SN3.
But the SN3 seems more open and refined.

…that should generate some comments!

2 Likes

I think I’ll trade my 252/250 in for a Nait 2 so……

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.