Nait XS vs XS2 vs XS3 ... Thoughts?

i had the Nait xs2 + flatcar XS but I prefer the… NAIT 2 CB.

4 Likes

I’m using an nDAC fed with SPDIF courtesy of a full tricked-out Allo Digione Signature, i.e the Digione Signauture board is mounted inside an Allo USBridge Signature (instead of a RPi) and powered by an Allo Shanti Supercapacitor power supply. So already quite good I think but If I do make any source changes in the future it would most likely be investigations into power supply options for the nDAC.

1 Like

Awesome Source! Ok yes time to jump to the XS3 :slight_smile: After that then explore Power Supply options for the nDAC if you want to. Sounds like we are on the same journey. I keep hearing the XPS-DR is transformational, but I have a SN on order and don’t want to make more changes for awhile.

1 Like

You are going to be impressed I promise.

I think the OP should go straight to a XS 3 out of the other two XS NAITs.

1 Like

FWIW - I upgraded the NDX 2 with the XPS DR to my SN 2 and the benefit was significant. When I added the HiCap DR months latter the noticeable benefit was there but not as substantial as adding the XPS DR. Perhaps if I did it in the reverse order it may have been different. Perhaps you can demo at your dealer by asking him to place one at a time on the SN 3 and give a listen, then after individually ask to listen to them all together. When I discussed it with my dealer he stated that the XPS DR would add the greatest benefit and that helped influence my decision. Then again at 2 and 1/2 times the price I would hope so. (US Pricing may be different than UK).

Stephen with the UK dealers you definitely have availability to demo more options in the shop prior to a home demo and hopefully you have a chance to listen to both before deciding in which direction to head first.

Either way you go, enjoy the journey and have fun along the way…

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any right or wrong answer with these things, such is the flexibility of the Naim portfolio of products. Over time they’ve done a number of key things as a HiFi equipment manufacturer to both keep the core user base satisfied whilst addressing specific market sectors to expand their appeal and penetrate growth markets beyond their high end analogue roots hence the development of the Mu-so products as a “gateway drug” and lifestyle range and a more feature rich Uniti range which with it’s second generation refresh, took aspects of the industrial design and volume control of the Statement range, taking what was learnt from the development of the 500 Series and taking a no expense spared approach to amplifier design.
I think it’s also fair to say that since the earliest days of the company they’ve preserved and actively developed the NAIT range and I’ve been lucky enough to enjoy it through the 3,5, XS and Super ranges to date.
Separating out the electronics from the power source remains a fundamental aspect of their product design and their PSU range is well thought out and gives tangible entry points and paths to system evolution.
For many years and through a number of system revisions I like many others moved through the various performance levels of NAIT to the current SN3 which to me is a fantastic place to find yourself regardless of what source you’re feeding it yet factoring in the overall system synergy which has seen me over time add in things like Powerline mains cables, a Hi-Line interconnect and more recently a full Fraim rack, I found that using a suitably balanced source enables the NAIT to give its very best and to my mind the right source for the SN3 was an NDX2 as opposed to a ND5 XS2 which I always felt was a better match for an XS NAIT.
I think it’s also fair to say, and it’s been certainly the case for me, that often you make changes based on financial priority and time required to achieve those changes, hence me having added a lot of things to what I have now before the NDX2 which is a significant investment and with further equivalent investment in the form of a PSU to come in the future.
I remember when I got the ND5 XS2 which was new and an attempt to simplify my setup that a lot of folks were stating that the gap between it and the NDX2 wasn’t significant and that the ND5 XS2 was more than capable. I wouldn’t entirely disagree with that but having lived with it for over a year from new with a SN2 + HiCap DR I always felt like something wasn’t quite working right and I’d often find myself thinking that the likely cause was the source and that it does, by design, and given it’s price point, have limitations which once you are feeding it in to a more capable system that is more revealing and more capable like a Supernait or even a Pre/Power based system, those limitations become more apparent and more often, certainly in a way that wouldn’t likely be the case with a 5 Series or XS Series NAIT by comparison.
I ran the original ND5 XS with an XS and for a time XS2 and overall that paired well but the streaming subsystem wasn’t anywhere near as well designed and implemented as is the case in the current range with the NP800 Streaming board.
It’s been interesting in the sense of priority against time/budget to read about adding in an nDAC to an ND5 XS2 which whilst it’s a very good DAC and has its place is never going to give an optimal end result and opens up the desire to then add a power supply to the nDAC and so forth.
To loop back to the context of the post I’d certainly put source improvements first even if it meant waiting longer overall to add power supplies or add a better amp. The XS 2/3 is a really good amp and with a source you can stick with over the longterm like an NDX2, if the intention is to scale the system to a Supernait or beyond will give a solid footing for any additions that would follow that.
I’d also add that the SN2 is a good bargain and would again pick that as a replacement to an XS NAIT rather than adding a HiCap to an XS, that’s based on what I experienced with those combinations and of course not the last word in best or preferred approach, any of the possible combinations will give you a good system but they all have their limits, unless you are willing and able to proceed through the Classic range and beyond of course!
Interesting topic anyway, what’s for dinner?

3 Likes

lol it’s still breakfast for me.
Great post btw. I think it’s pretty spot on.

I lose track of time regardless!
Where possible I try to base what I post on personal experience and with a sprinkling of common sense methodology.
Regards the XS NAIT’s I certainly found myself seeking more but on a budget and wanting to get a quick fix hence me adding in a HiCap DR rather than enjoying it for what it was, waiting a bit and just getting a better system overall.
I also spent a lot of years neglecting the source and now having had the NDX2 for long enough to form an opinion on it find it really pairs much better with a Supernait than an ND5 XS2 ever could hence me selling mine and my HiCap to get one!
I also wasn’t entirely convinced that replacing my SN2 with a SN3 was a sensible choice however I had a chance to trade in my SN2 + XS2 at the same time and also get my Fraim base for half price so financially, it sort of made sense and brought forward a few decisions I’d been wanting to implement but always found a way to put off, particularly replacing my Isoblue rack with a full Fraim equivalent.
I’ve made a number of sacrifices to get to what I have today including letting my HiCap go as a trade in with my ND5 XS2 but a few months in I have no regrets and it in part forms the basis of my “focus on the source” perspective.
I’ve also found the SN3 is taking what was good with my SN2 and refining it in the right places and with the right balance without it loosing the feel of a Supernait or feeling like a different amp all together, this is in contrast to the difference between the SN1 and SN2 which when I had a SN1 should have been all the amp I needed but I never really felt it was the amp I expected it to be or wanted it to be and didn’t end up keeping if for long and went back to an XS before hoping to the Supernait 2 which again was just timing/luck and one I found at a price I could swallow.
Having made quite a few financially motivated and in essence heart over head decisions with my system, I’m happy to wait quite a bit longer now with what I have and next to put a 555PS on the NDX2 to let it shine at its very best.
Beyond that is a system that I probably won’t want to invest in financially or have the time to truly enjoy so the hope is that this is the makings of a 3 box setup that gives all I need.
Never say never though eh and I’m sure whatever path we all choose and others have taken different ones but appropriate ones, I’m sure we’ll all enjoy our system consistently and always keep coming back for more.
Seems I need to actually cook the dinner as well, some things aren’t perfect!

The XS3 is very closely related to the SN3. Both amps have received glowing reviews from most of the press all round. What HiFi? magazine have given both amps ‘product of the year’ status. Then there are the options of using headphones as well as a turntable…!

1 Like

I don’t think you’d go far wrong with either, most of these choices are based on budget and priority ultimately.
It does make me think about my other pet project (not the Rega one) which is to add an amp to the front channels of a 5.1 system.
I was initially focused on a Uniti Nova, one box, simple life, job done.
Then I got thinking about a SN2, then add a source later.
There’s a few ex demo XS3’s bouncing around though and that might be an interesting choice!
Did you decide to get an NDX2 in the end or not?
I see shops are starting to come back online now in the next week or so, I’m a big fan of it as I’m sure you’ve worked out by now.

2 Likes

Indeed. I reckon if Allan moved on his XS while the going is good (they seem to be fetching good prices on the used market), then perhaps he could acquire a XS3 with not much of an extra outlay too boot. Plus the added bonus of headphones and vinyl with no extra boxes needed.

Has someone done the 152/155 vs. nait XS 3 comparison?

M.

Can’t say I’ve any experience of either of those.
If you’re thinking about a next step and have a phono stage you like already a recent Supernait 2 might be worth some thought.

1 Like

Mr. M., the 152/155/FC XS are in my second office system with the ND5XS2 and no turntable.
At home I listen only to the LP12 with a full Linn system.
I’m interested in box reducing and the Nait XS3 is the first choice with the ND5.
M.

Ahh gotcha, certainly from my own experiences I’d think a better pairing with your ND5 XS2 and a choice that gives you a one box outcome is the NAIT XS 3. I haven’t owned the 3 but did have the original one and the XS 2. Having also owned all the Supernaits and having most recently moved from a SN2 to a SN3 I’d expect the improvements I’ve found there would map across to the XS 2 -> XS 3 in a comparable fashion.
I think as long as you’re sensible with speaker pairing and the listening environment isn’t too large you’ll find that a really enjoyable choice.
I’m not sure where you’re located but certainly here in the UK there are demo stock units now becoming available at nice discounts.
Do report back on your changes, be interested to see how you find it if you go that route, perhaps a trade in would work well with your existing boxes also.
I know also that dealers are soon to open up for demos and in my experience with mine at least have been happy to offer extended home demos so also worth evaluating via that route as well.

I’d say also looking at your current speakers you may want to think about getting something more capable and with a better match to an XS 3.
I expect you can get more from a NAIT than the Missions can handle without spending a lot.
Good luck with the changes anyway.

Thanks for your replies.
I’m in Milan, Italy.
I also owned the first Nait XS, but never heard the XS 2 / 3.
My listening room in my office is quite small.
I’m a staunch supporter of the “source-first” principle: IMHO, speakers are the last step of the ladder.
BTW, I think that the LX-2 are a giant killers for the money (€ 180). The Majik 109’s (that I use in my main system) are surely better but at 7 times the cost.
M.

1 Like

I’m in line with that approach, I think the reason for highlighting the speakers is it’s a chance to try something new that may prove a more enjoyable pairing with an amp like the XS 3.
Obviously best approach is try it first and if you’re happy carry on as you are!
Not sure on availability in Italy but expect you’d be able to source an XS 3 new or from demo stock easily enough.

1 Like

Last week I did a demo in my area of the Nait XS 3 vs. my 152/155/FC with the ND5XS2; speakers were a pair of ATC SCM 19.

In summary:

• 152/155 vs. XS 3: the latter is more musical;
  • 152/155/FC vs. XS 3: the trio is a little bit better on resultion;
  • XS 3 w/FC: the improvements seem difficult to hear;
  • the volume pot of the XS 3 seems better;
  • the XS 3 is one box solution with a very good phono board and headphones amplifier.

The dealer offered a very good trade-in option for my three boxes.

I left the shop with the Nait.

M.

7 Likes