Nait XS vs XS2 vs XS3 ... Thoughts?

Congratulations !

Put up a pic In the system pics thread …

Boom!
Did you take the ATC’s as well :wink:

1 Like

Congrats Matteo!

You say the 152/155/FC had a little bit more resolution so what did the XS3 offer to counter this (other than fewer boxes)?

Nothing

I could live with one box with slight less resolution. :grin:

M.

1 Like

Thanks for your summary Matteo, all very useful info.

I’m a bit sorry to read that the Flatcap XS made little to no difference with the XS3 as I have one winging its way to me right now for use on my XS. I decided to go with a Flatcap for now instead of the bigger financial jump of upgrading to an XS3, my logic being that I would probably go for both eventually anyway. Nevertheless, I’ll relax into it and evaluate and appreciate over the coming weeks / months

Only your ears can decide.

IME, the FC made a big difference on the 152 (with both upgrades options connected).

M.

With your XS it might make more of a difference…

Give me some time and I’ll report back.

2 Likes

Quick update to say I haven’t forgotten about coming back to this thread and reporting my findings with the Flatcap XS. It’s proven more difficult than expected as the Flatcap tipped my finely balanced (on a knife edge) system into a bit of an overdrive of excess bass and treble (because Kudos X2’s … but I do love ‘em!).

Last night was a bit of a breakthrough and I’ve finally (I think) got things under control again, but it involved a lot of trial and error with speaker positioning, finding the benefits of sitting the speakers on a set of Linn Skeets and bringing in some Gik Acoustics broadband absorber panels from my other system. The Flatcap definitely brought with it a lot of benefits but as I say had the unfortunate effect of unbalancing the system. Now I’ve resolved that it’s sounding fabulous (had to force myself to bed last night). I’ll live with this for a few days then take the Flatcap out for a comparison.

Will report back.

4 Likes

As I’ve been thoroughly enjoying listening to my system over the last few days I wasn’t feeling too inclined to change anything by taking the Flatcap XS out but decided to give it a go last night. As things have been sounding rather good recently I thought things would collapse quite badly but actually it wasn’t quite as bad as expected.

The sound contracted back into the speakers slightly and took on a greyer tone but still had plenty of involvement and ‘foot-tapping’ ability. Putting the Flatcap back in later I noticed how vocals came forward and more into the room with ambience and recording acoustic easier to pick-up on. Soundstage expanded higher, deeper and wider, instruments more clearly separated and with more luminosity and tonal colour.

These changes were all relatively small, and to be fair the bare NAIT XS was not that far behind, but the differences were noticeable with a modicum of careful listening and overall I felt that having the Flatcap XS in place was just a nicer experience.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.