Nakamichi Cassette Deck

That reminds me - I’ve wondered before about why Nak decks have the tape type selector labelled EX, SX and ZX rather than the usual Normal/Chrome/Metal. Of course, the Roman numerals made it clear what you were selecting, but where did the two-letter codes derive from?

Mark

Stunning cassette deck always yearned for one but could never afford it :slightly_frowning_face:

Nakamichi’s own branded cassette tapes were labelled as EX for type I, SX for type II and ZX for Metal. The Nakamchi tapes were made for them by TDK and were essentially the same as TDK AD, SA, and MA. And to confuse even more there was also EX II and SX II, which were just later TDK formulations of the same tapes.

2 Likes

I bought my CR7A in the early days of CD, when new Classical Music albums on LP became very rare. I tried available CD players (Micromega, Marantz, Arcam etc which were loaned to me), but it was apparent that to my ears the same few Classical Pieces which I had bought on both CD and Cassette (it was for testing purposes) showed that my Sony Walkman Pro (my deck at the time) outperformed them (IMO). So, I bought a Nakamichi.

I kept the Sony for away from home use and live recording (made some lovely tapes of a Detroit Touring Choir - long story). Alas the Sony Pro eventually developed a few faults and as I was no longer using it much, I gave it to a friend (who still has it!). It’s out of home duties were fulfilled by an AIWA “Datman” (alas, can’t recall the model no, and it’s buried in a cupboard somewhere). Worked very well. Not bad for a “freebie”! (I won it in one of those free competitions in “What HiFi”, hence no cost to me!)

Now I use a Korg MR2 for my occasional live recording, and the iPhone for non-critical music listening and audiobooks when not at home.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.