Nap 250dr / Atc scm 40

Heard the Atc need a fair bit of muscle behind them , is the 250 man enough ?
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Ignoring the sexist implications of the phrase man enough. I had a 250DR driving my SCM40s and they worked well together.

2 Likes

If you haven’t bought the 40’s yet I would counsel you to listen to both passive and active versions before deciding.

A 250 would be up to the job though.

1 Like

A thousand apologies , can you ever forgive me ……

1 Like

When auditioning active SCM40s a few years ago, I compared them with the passive versions driven by my 250DR. To my ears, the passive/250 setup didn’t quite have the tightness, particularly in the bass, of the actives. I know people run them with a 250DR, but I wouldn’t have done that myself. If looking for an Naim amp to drive the passive SCM40s, I’d have looked at a 300DR. The NC 250 is supposed, by some, to be better than the 300, so that should also be worth a listen.

But if you’ve not yet got a power amp, I’d strongly recommend the active 40s.

Roger

1 Like

Thank you guys and er girls , don’t want to be called sexist again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The only thing is there’s quite a price hike , I can get a nice pair of passive pre loved for £2,600
Whereas the actives are nearly double that

Sell the 250 and speaker cable and the cost gap really narrows.

I found the actives to be much more preferable to the passives and that was with a 300dr / superlumina

Gary

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.