Nap 300DR

Few questions:

Do you like your NDS?
Do you like your 552?
Do you like music?

If you’ve answered YES to at least one of the above, you will like what NAP 300DR does :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But Nigel 3 x 250DR would be superb with Kudos Titan…

1 Like

Very logical and irresistible Lindsay👍

3 Likes

3 x 300DR even better though! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

3x 300DR vs 1x 500DR (Not exactly an equal price but…) Active vs Passive…

I wonder what people would prefer!

I heard the Kudos 707 active vs passive a while back and preferred the nap500…it just sounded, so right. The active nap 300 dr seemed a little too exuberant for my liking.

Thats a pretty good advert for the 500DR right there! Thinking about Kudos speakers actually so that comment is interesting!

It was at Audio show east a couple of years ago, so others will have heard and may feel differently. I am sure they will post as well.

1 Like

OK active 3 x 500DR it is then! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

SBL’s need only 2 500’s. That’s cheaper.

2 Likes

Bongoman,
For your modestly sized room of 3.5mx3.5 m with corresponding ATC SCM 19 speakers, I’m impressed that it still make sense to invest in this robust 300DR and 552! Don’t you feel the pre-amp and amp are overpowering the room?
Reason for asking is I use a 250 in a 9x5 m room and never feel it is too light. Should I try the 300DR?

I’d suggest that a 555PS should come before a 300. That said, the 802 is a lot of speaker for a 272/250.

3 Likes

The 300DR is about quality more than it’s about quantity!

Big speakers overwhelm small rooms as they have too much bass extension; big amps don’t as they give better control of the bass output of the existing speakers.

8 Likes

I have “room issues” and with the caveat that I have a few decades less solid hi fi experience than many here . . . speakers have over-powered my room, but thus far never a pre- or power amp. The benefits are heard across the volume range; not just at “VERY LOUD!”

1 Like

All right, I feel more and more tempted to audition the NAP300DR with my B&W 802’s… let’s start with sweet-talking to the Finance Manager a.k.a. Lady of the House…

I’ve heard the 802’s a couple of times at a local dealer. What HH said. They are a LOT of speaker to drive, or so it seems . . .

Speaker manufacturers’ “recommended power” guidance always amazes me. for the 802 D3’s B&W recommends “50-500 W.” That’s very helpful I am sure.

Do bear in mind that the bare 272 is out of its depth with a 300 and the 802s. Unless you plan to move to a separate steamer and preamp you really should be adding a power supply, which will take it to another level entirely.

1 Like

My Goodness! Not only the 250 is too small, also the 272!? Where does this end? :dizzy_face:

What I like about my current set-up is the nice & clean 2-box solution. The Lady of the House may accept 3 boxes, which made me think of 272+300.

If the 272 would not not match, than what? NDX2+282+300 would be 4 boxes… :fearful:

It’s an issue solely of your creation. Hungry speakers need to be fed if you want them to deliver their potential. If you went for the NDX and 282 you’d really want a power supply on the NDX, and the 282 won’t work without a Hicap when using a 250 or 300.

When I was looking for a new Naim system a couple of years ago, I listened to a 272/300, as my limit was 3 boxes. It was a lot of fun, but unrefined, and not something I could have lived with. Probably great for loud parties, but not so much for relaxing with. So I would agree that a PSU upgrade should probably come first.