Nap 300DR

Thanks all. I’ll pop in to my dealers at some point and arrange a home demo. I know how it will pan out… I’m sure it will sound stunning and I won’t want to give it back. I’ll need an extra SL DIN-XLR too if I get one. There goes the boiler upgrade for next winter… I guess we can always wear extra layers :grin:

1 Like

I’ve read here people say “excessive bass” but I have no idea what’s behind it – I guess if someone does the test and substituting a 300 for a 250 as the only change produces “excessive bass” then it does. It certainly didn’t in my system/room.

@Bart, the balance is about right with my naim electronics and ATC SCM 19 speakers for my room. The bass is not too overbearing, particularly on bass heavy tracks. When I auditioned the larger SCM 40s the bass output was just too much. Not having heard the 300DR yet, I’m not sure how the bass handling compares to the 250DR. I’ll arrange a home demo to see. I’m sure my ATCs will be a great match.

You’d need to sell your existing stereo din to XLR and buy a mono pair. Two stereo leads will work but are not as good.

Ah I see, thanks. I’ll mention to my dealer. He may accept a part-ex on mine for the new set.

The 300 is in my view, the best value for money power amp that Naim make. It does so many things so well, but as always, you have to make sure it matches your ears and your room.

If your speakers are well matched to your room, give the kind of presentation you like, and are not malfunctioning, “humble” they are not. We ran the matchstick sized Spendor 5e with a 300 and later a 500 and they never sounded better. A better amp usually gives you better speakers automatically .

4 Likes

Enjoying mine now, picked it up earlier this week but have been busy. It’s very good, everything that has been ascribed to it in this thread seems to ring true on the first hour or so listening, including the improvement at lower levels (over a 250DR in this case)

Aye, it’s a good amp for sure.

1 Like

Hi does anyone of you run an 300Dr with a Naim Nova as pre amp? I think about an upgrade

I did while i was waiting for the new streamers. I have posted on the old forum, i spent an age getting the burndies perfect, sat back and listened. Thought it was wonderful, after a few tracks realised i still had the speaker cables in the back of the Nova. Well after i sorted that out it is a big uplift in SQ.
It was for me a holding pattern waiting for the new streamers and it cost me nothing. It was great fun, but perhaps other ways to get better SQ for the money. Best of luck.

1 Like

I run a super uniti as a streamer pre amp into a 300dr, it sound pretty good to me. I have tried an NDX2 into the SU and it does sound better but the SU pre is a limiting factor

Nigel, Just get the unDRed 500. Way ahead of the 300DR.

Phil

I don’t think it’s that simple. I much preferred the old 300 to the old 500, and the 300DR is a lot better than the non-DR version.

We will have wait and see what he eventually does. I’m sure he will demo things first. And then there is the new B&B.

It really is a funny old hobby, because the 500/552 unDRed just delivers music. There were good moments with 252/300 DR but I could never prefer the 300 to 500 which is in a different league.

1 Like

I think there is a lot of unconscious bias in choosing HiFi from demos, even home demos. And that this explains why sometimes people reach conclusions about what is best that others find surprising.

Fortunately it doesn’t matter much!
Best

David

2 Likes

Agreed David and, more often than not, people tend to recommend what they have done as being “correct” if only to reinforce their own decisions to themselves. Nothing wrong with it and I suspect most on here have done that to some extent.

3 Likes

I am not sure its that simple. There is a synergy that comes from a complete DR system. Of course it depends on how close you are already to a complete DR system. I tried a 500 non DR and preferred the 300DR. For me the music just sounded more involving (based on my existing system) 500DR TOTALLY different story. This is via a 552DR and using SBL’s. I suspect your love of the non DR versions has something to do with the synergy between those components and your speakers which is fantastic as that has saved you a small fortune! The 500 was just not as coherent in my conditions. It was an older one and would have benefitted from a service possibly but I happily kept the 300DR.

Steve, My remarks were to @NigelB who has a 552 unDRed. He is very happy with it. I shouldn’t tease but I’m sure Nigel understands.

Phil

Today I picked up a 300DR on loan from my dealer (he has deals on offer this month) I have a 552 on loan too! :astonished:

Firstly, the 300DR - swapped out my 250DR and hooked up the 300DR to partner my 252 into ATC 19s (source is NDX2 with 555PSDR). After playing a few tracks it took me under an hour to call my dealer back to order one. The sound is fuller with extended range at both ends, and a lot more detail at low level listening levels than the 250DR.

Later I swapped the 252 and 552 and everything has moved up another level. The 552 is so transparent and neutral, and less forward sounding than the 252. Music is just effortless to listen too, with much more detail coming through. I demoed the 552 with my 250DR last week but I felt the performance lift was not as impressive compared to the 300DR. It will be a real stretch to go for the 552 as well as the 300. I dare say as the week pans out with further listening I won’t want to give it back.

3 Likes

What speakers are using?

ATC SCM 19s - they’re a great match for my small room (3.5m x 3.5m). Unfussy with positioning and no issues with bass boom (unlike the ATC 40s which kicked out too much bass)

2 Likes