NAP 350 - Who’s Tempted?

I might be tempted, Graeme. My 300 was an original, non-DR, version and is the oldest component I have, although I had the DR conversion done. Its trade-in value is, however, quite low, meaning the cost to move to a 500DR has always been too high - even on used and ex-dem units. The 350 could be affordable after a bit of saving but I am also quite certain that trade-in values will take a dip, which could mean saving might take some time.

I will almost certainly have a listen; which might (or not!) convince me to ‘find’ the cash, before I batten down the financial hatches in line with my early retirement plans.

Cheers,

Ian

2 Likes

It’s a no for me, I’ve just had a very loud rock session with the 7 year old used 300 DR that I have, and feel they are totally in control of my speakers in my system.

In some ways the NDX2 is probably the weak link in my system. However, a ND555 is very expensive and others report that with the ND555 the 552 then becomes a bottle neck.

So simpler and cheaper to stick where I am :+1:

8 Likes

I am extremely tempted. I’m currently running a 250DR with my 552DR, and have the word out with my dealer for a pre-loved 300DR. But the 350 should be better in every way. It’s likely to be substantially better in SQ terms. Even better, there’ll be no Burndies to wrestle behind my already space-constrained rack.

Back in the real world, a cost of a new 350 puts it out of the question. I console myself with the thought that I can just stand under the Naim tree with my apron held out, and a keenly priced 300DR should fall into it before too long. Then, four or five years down the road, as 350 users get the upgrade itch, who knows?

6 Likes

A friend of mine sent me a photo yesterday of the orchard where Isaac Newton had his insightful moment about gravity. Let’s hope the 300DR lands in your apron and not where Newton’s apple did!

4 Likes

Yes there’s quite a bit of temptation here if it’s going to be a substantial upgrade ! Currently have a pair of 300DRs driving SL2s and arranged on 2 three tier stands. 1st stack is head units with Snaxo on top, 2nd is 2 x 300ps units with Snaxo S’cap on top. Works well but I’ve 5 Burndies running between the 2 stacks !
Interesting that Naim have gone back to the monoblock design after such a long time. I had a few pairs of 135’s over the years and although I prefer the 300’s there’s just something about the mono amps that appeals. I like the idea of having a seperate power supply for each channel against just one power cable on the 300’s to run both.
I’ll wait with interest to see how the new Nap 350’s are reviewed when they hit the dealers.

3 Likes

I am not tempted. If I was younger and could listen to music at much higher volumes without triggering my tinnitus I would be very tempted, as it is I will save my money and stay at the 250 level.

4 Likes

Did you mean 252?

I’m thinking about the 500 non dr. Only trouble is if I do end up finding one the servicing cost could be the deal breaker

Never thought of it that way, having said that if I had £26k lurking down the back of my sofa for an ND555 …!!

1 Like

No, I did mean the 552. Following some of Duncans comments about the full 500 setup and how a S1 or other pre-amp can reveal more out of the ND555.

Well, it’s irrelevant for me, as the 552 is end game for me, and I guess that for any setup, some component can always be improved on.

3 Likes

Yes, I’d be surprised if 3 x 350’s active wouldn’t give a 500DR a very stern test indeed

Looks like we’ve got a long wait before we find out though :tired_face:

1 Like

Ah ok. Disappointing if a 552 is a bottle neck for an ND555.

Our dealer said no point in ND555 with 252 which makes sense (as we’ve a perfectly balanced system just now), but you’d hope the next preamp up would be fully capable of utilising the source.

ND555/552 is a massive investment, at new prices probably more than we’ve spent putting current system together.

Super tempted. It is either the 350 monoblock next for me or a cheaper 500DR if I can find it. Confusing times ahead.

1 Like

Remember that’s just one person’s view, and is not commonly held. Of course a Statement is better than a 552, that’s obvious. But that doesn’t mean an ND555 isn’t a big step up over a NDX2 when used with the 552.

5 Likes

With new kit released, and continuing fall in used prices, it looks likely a fairly fresh ND555 might be achievable for £8k this year.

Maybe we’ll try one with a 252.

First world problems.

No plan beyond that until we get reviews of 332/NPX against other kit, and not from trade cheerleaders.

350 would be an obvious step up from 300DR but I suspect we might need new speakers.

1 Like

I did find the 552dr somewhat off a bottle neck in my system, but i am not the only one by far.
Anyone who has an S1 would have experienced the same. I just didn’t go S1.
Guy’s finding an improvement in sound quality when using a ND555 with a 552dr, when they swap out the pre amp, shows that the ND555 can give more but the 552dr is not letting it show.
But just about every system has a week point or bottle neck, it just depends how far you are up the ladder to what that is, it’s just about never ending if you want it to be.

2 Likes

Slight thread diversion but I don’t think I have ever found a matched Naim system contained a ‘bottleneck’. Of course substituting a component from the next system up can cause that effect as the system is now unbalanced even if the single component is an improvement.

3 Likes

I’m sticking with my 300DR.

Simply does everything I want it too.

5 Likes

Yes but still saving so not until the end of the year.

1 Like

I’m not surprised if someone find S1 pre can reveal more potential of ND555 compared to what NAC552 can give.

But the issue is whether the improvement given out by S1 pre is proportional/justified considering a huge price differential between S1 pre and NAC552.

Well I guess the answer to that is subjective to the perceived materiality level of the price difference in relative to affordability. Like in the obvious example, someone with millions £ disposable amount for hobby would find the price justifiable for the improvement.

3 Likes