NAP135 and NAP250

Probably, yes.

1 Like

As said. They use the same regulator-board and amp-board as the 250 but they are a) mono-amps with larger heatsinks and separate everything, filter caps etc. and b) they get a much more powerful drive for the regulator-board. They are also more practical and easy to place than most Naim-amps. Just simple input, speaker output and power. No external PS, no burndy, no snaic. But this also goes for the 250.

And if you want to use with non-naim preamp just make sure it is a modern one with enough drive. Iā€™m running mine via the Lundahl-transformers in my preamp and with rescued Naim Lavender interconnect cables terminated with Eichmann Bullets (RCAs).

When I finally bought new speakers this year I tried other amps that got good reviews with those speakers but finally always went back to the 135s. I also prefer the 135s on a simple wooden rack (bamboo) over the complex Naim Fraim or on an isoAcoustic Delos platform.

With digital a very good source pays-off.

Interesting - thanks Richard

The 180 looks to have similar components to a 140. That cap/regulator board top left is out of a 140. But, the major ( perhaps only?) difference being a decent sized transformer in the 180 over the 140. Plus the bigger case.

2 Likes

Yep - that about sums it up.

1 Like

Hi
A big PS powering a prefix is a real winner. Thanks to richards advice I use a SC on my prefix. It was a wonderful update. Thanks to @Richard.Dane again for that. A 52PS (modded or not) must be great.

Just to add to the thead, here are the internals of an old NAP250 BD I owned.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.