Nap300DR or Nap500 no dr

I delayed servicing on a 250 once and when it finally got to Naim they told me that one of the caps was so knackered that it could easily have gone unstable and taken the speakers with it. Maybe current amps are more resilient but it seems risky to run for so long without servicing. The recommended service interval on 500 series is 15 years.

1 Like

have you had the upgrade to Katalyst yourself? Is it a huge upgrade, better than spending money on cables?

I updated ADS/2 to Katalyst. Massive upgrade.

1 Like

Dear Mr Ross, Iā€™ve been on the sidelines soaking all this valuable information youā€™ve received.

I donā€™t own nor ever heard any of the mentioned gear! Iā€™m old school Linn, who joined the Forum about six years ago. 282/HCDR > Tri-Amped Briks! With that being said, follow your gut instinct. Going out on a limb, since you love your speakers, which arenā€™t short on low frequencies!

This I know! Furthermore, we are all Flat Earthers, who enjoy tapping our toes (Linn/Naim).

Lindsey offered some good advice, as well the others. Expand on your front end by servicing and above all Dr-ing your 552!

This will balance out the sound that youā€™ve become accustomed to. Listen for about 2 weeks see what the old 500 is doing! Then make your move: Flat Earthers always start at the top of the chain!

Then you can make your gut decision:

A. 2014 300DR

B. Recap your 500

C. Recap & Dr your 500

But by all means, start at or near the top of the chain and preserve the precious signal!

Linn K-20/Nac A4, Enjoy Your Music!

1 Like

Top of the chain for Sir Ross is the Linn Klimax, not the NAC 552!!!

3 Likes

This is true Quinn, Mr. Ross has decided to keep his front & rear:

Klimax Linn

552 DR

Amps

B& W

And yes, you are correct!

1 Like

Linn & Naim are generally seen as Flat Earthers as compared to Round Earthers!

Linnies always connect! Hopefully Mr. Ross will tune in, and perhaps share his feeling towards my Hi-Fi rhetoric! LolšŸ˜

PS. Back on the sidelines, just thought I would share my thoughts, thatā€™s all!

Back to the Why! The Sweet Music Starts at the top of the chain!

And the last link of the chain is the speakers, which are personal!

1 Like

Am I correct in saying that the massive upgrade will be to Katalyst my Klimax, the second massive upgrade will be to Dr my 552 and the third would be to Dr my 500? I have to say it is unlikely I can afford to do either of the DR. That is, even if I can do the Katalyst.

2 Likes

Dear Mr. Ross, assuming this is directed at allante93, Iā€™m just agreeing with you and the majority of the Forum.

LindsayM:

ā€œIā€™m not very well informed with regard to your source but if that matches the rest of the system Iā€™d start with DRing the 552.ā€

If you only take care of that look at your cash and system:

A. Klimax top of chain, remains the same.

B. Fix the heart: Re-service and DR the 552 $$$:

C. See how that impacts your 20 year 500.

D. Do nothing to your beloved speakers.

After revitalizing your 552, listening to your system for 3-5 weeks then follow your gut instincts and decide on one of the:

A. 2014 pre-loved 300DR. $$$

B. Recap your 20 year old 500. $

C. Recap & DR your 500. $$

I think you already know, I peeked at your Naim journey.

Remain a member of Naimā€™s finest, but follow your gut instinct.

ā€˜The 500 Clubā€™

Enjoy Your Music, The Why!

2 Likes

Assuming you will have serviced your 552/500 then, yes, go for the Katalyst upgrade. Tremendous improvement. You can also get a Renew using your old KDS internals and sell on. This will cover much of the cost.

1 Like

Thank you, sadly Renew is no longer available. Did you do the Katalyst upgrade yourself? I have heard that it is very good. The service is not going to be a DR as that is too expensive for me at the mo, and I am imagining that the Katalyst, although different is almost more important??

Thatā€™s a shame, but yes, previous upgrades were all worthwhile but the Katalyst upgrade was something of a revelation. I considered the expected alternatives at the time but the Katalyst did it for me. Iā€™d certainly go for it again above a DR upgrade.

Personally, I felt that 500 to 500DR was a bigger upgrade than 552 to 552DR.

2 Likes

So if I do the service on 552 500, If I were to stretch to a DR on both as well, assuming I have done the Linn Katalyst, how much of an improvement is the Dr over the non DR?

Mine is serviced but not DRed.

Phil

Apologiesā€¦ Was there a huge difference for you before and after? or did you buy it already serviced?

I bought it serviced. Your 500 is older than the 552 I believe, so service it and maybe DR it as the DR may only add subtle nuances but costs loads. The 552 needs servicing in a year maybe, and worth DRing. Work on your setup as the move seems to messed things up. Thatā€™s my advice.

Phil

so the big difference is by DR to the 552 more than the 500?

If you read this thread you can get more opinions.

Phil

Others have said equally that DRing the 500 has the bigger effect and it is a subtler effect on the 552.

I have no direct experience, just reporting what I have read on here over the years.

So perhaps better to upgrade leads etc, as they are all the standard ones originally supplied, except for the powerlines.