Nap500 speker socket clean

My Nap500 is a 2001 model updated to DR…I thought hmmm I wonder if the speaker sockets have ever been cleaned…cripes they were quite bad…cleaned them with alcohol and cotton buds… The sound has had an nice uplift…certainly more heft… impressed.

1 Like

Cotton pads we have here are to big for 4mm banana inlets. Bigger ears in Sweden?

1 Like

Yep, well worth doing…….you got me wondering when they were last done🥺

1 Like

Well had a good testeroo today…epic…bass response is superb…punchy…great depth…superb highs could not wish for more. What an amazing amp…paired wirh Vivid S12 speakers it’s a match made in heaven for mid to small rooms… :star_struck: Makes you wonder what the Kaya 90’s would be like…

Shouldn’t put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear.
Medical Advise. :wink: :+1:t2:

1 Like

Try it again with brasso and don’t stop until the black disappears then give it the alcohol. :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Actually I might try that…I’ve already had a bollocking from her indoors for using all the cotton buds…so it will be a little way into future…but thanks for tip…

1 Like

Bought some pipe cleaners off amazon……seem better than buds as the cotton can detach.

I remember this thread on this topic.

A tub of buds and a bottle of brasso will be the biggest and cheapest upgrade by far. :wink: :+1:t2:
I guarantee amazement when you see the blackness on the bud. :flushed:

Do you mind me asking the approximate size of your listening room? I have a 500 system (currently with Proac D18). I am in a small lounge room and will possibly go into the small bedroom as a dedicated listening room at some stage and am interested in your experiences. Currently considering upgrade on speakers.

My room is approx 12x8.5…feet… I fire the speakers across the room…as I have too for practical reasons. It has a sloping in roof ceiling.
It suffered a room mode at 57hz that was pretty bad. I intially tamed it with Roon dsp…which was pretty good. Then I used some acoustic bass panels around 150mm thick… 1 panel behind each speaker and then 4 big panels behind my small sofa… this really made a big difference and I could reduce the dsp drastically… I then used REW and measured the response and did some tweaks…and now with my sub…I have a nice smooth response down to around 25hz…nice.
This all works great…but not if you really whack the volume up…as the room seams to get overwhelmed. I normally listen at around 80dB which is pretty loud in a small room. My 500 system is in one stack. Well happy…

1 Like

If you have the cash…try the S12 speakers they are staggeringly good…mine go down to just below 40hz…they are so sweet and life like…and are so agile and snappy…they make other speakers seem slow.

1 Like

Many thanks for replying and for all the detail and recommendations which really are invaluable. I’ll give it all some thought and do some experimentation. Thanks again! Enjoy!

There was also this thread a couple of years ago, which started on the subject of cleaning DIN sockets, but quickly moved on to 4mm speaker sockets:

2 Likes

If you put speakers in a small room … start with firing them down the long dimension…

1 Like

I’ve found these small cotton pads on Amazon that might be more safe than the normal sized ones. They are 2mm in diameter.

1 Like

Cleaning sockets would sound like a cable upgrade, but a lot cheaper.

Thanks, will do that.

Yep my system is so much better bass has gained a large improvement