Nap500

It’s very interesting you mention about the bass because yes I noticed it hasn’t gone as deep as my 300 so far, which did surprise me.

I do need to play around with speaker positioning again tho.

With what you have, you have the means to discover lots of gems out there. To me that is what it is all about. If it can transport you ‘there’ sometimes then what more can one ask.

1 Like

I’ve all but stopped watching TV since Naim entered my living room last year. So many places to go…

1 Like

Congratulations Stu.

Yup, 100% agreed there’s nothing on the TV anyway, so much on the HIFi to enjoy. You are on an incredible audio journey. Enjoy.

1 Like

Are you running the latest 4.8 firmware on the nds? Its by far the best firmware I’ve heard on mine, especially the deep tuneful bass.

Yes indeed I am :+1:

1 Like

Give it and you about 2 weeks to fully understand it and then i would have a play with speaker placement

1 Like

As @HappyListener predicted the bass is coming on. Much fuller tonight. You’re right I will let it bed-in to its new home for a few weeks before tinkering.

I can’t wait to get home and have a play with my new arm, as i have had the arm cable delivered, so its all waiting

1 Like

Having great music at home is nice, but going to concerts is nice as well!

Two very different contexts, and two very different ways of enjoying music.

I go 4-5 times a year to the Victoria Hall in Geneva, and I almost always take my daughter. My wife and I have been taking her since she was 4-5 years old.

She has already listened to Daniil Trifonov, Arcadi Volodos, Khatia Buniatishvili (and a few others) and some symphony and chamber orchestras.

We are very lucky as we have many beautiful concert halls nearby: Geneva, Lausanne, Montreux, etc.

I agree with you on how to spend your leisure/pleasure budget. Beautiful concerts are unforgettable moments.

At the end of the road, the only thing we take with us to our deathbed are the memories.

Herzliche Grüße auch an dich,
Thomas

9 Likes

I have tried to listen to classical music and i can’t, its certainly not for me

At first I thought you had made an arm transplant.

2 Likes

Thank god no, new arm on the turntable, turned up the day before we went away.

Fabulous memories. I remember the same with my mother.

1 Like

Make sure you have a well accessible piano in your living room. That’s the most inviting instrument to play on and helps a great deal with musical ‘bildung’.

1 Like

I wish I had the space to install a piano. Unfortunately, this is not possible. We can’t have everything.

The living room was of no use to us except for listening to music or reading. So it became what it is now : the listening room.

But this is not a purely selfish choice. My daughter enjoys, and has always enjoyed, listening to music with me/us.

During the first months of her life she used to fall asleep every night listening to Bach’s Partitas played on the lute (Hopkinson Smith).

When she gets older, I may buy her a nice electronic piano to place in her room, like the AvantGrand series from Yamaha or the Novus series from Kawai.

But for now, she is taking solfeggio and flute lessons once a week. Next year, I’ll sign her up at the Conservatoire de Lausanne. She will choose the instrument she wants. My father-in-law wanted her to play the harpsichord… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

When I bought mine…only the head unit had been serviced…strange.

I vaguely remember that only the head unit was sent if opting for the DR upgrade alone but both went if a service was done at the same time. Seems like a golden age now.

1 Like

Correct

Any Quboz/Tidal recommendations for this Thomas? I’m looking for something accessible as I’m a classical music dilettante.