Nap500

Hi Thomas
I loved our evening out in the Victoria Hall and Geneva. As always an enjoyable evening with Grigory Sokolov with the first time I heard the Siloti piece that he clearly loves as an encore. This was on our way for a lovely week in St. Gervais. For sure we will return again. Thanks for sharing the lovely pictures of your visits there.
Best Regards
Mark

1 Like

That’s got to to be 50lb+ Andy… :+1:

1 Like

Well that’s head only :smirk: Best Peter

1 Like

Sitting hear tonight absolutely enthralled by the 500. What a game changer. I do find it needs a bit more volume on the dial though strangely, but at the same time it doesn’t sound louder. Just bigger.

4 Likes

I’d love to be listening to my 500 tonight, but it’s just too hot in my listening room….

4 Likes

54… I had a pb of 49 3/4 for years and finally got a 50 a few weeks ago :blush:

2 Likes

IME, you should be able to play the music a tad louder as there’s more control – obviously s/t what the room allows :grin:

The difference in price between a 500 and a 300 (leaving DR aside) should tell you there’s a difference in quality. albeit the law of diminishing marginal returns applies.

3 Likes

Typically I didn’t play my 300 above 8.30. It sounded very loud above 9.00.

I don’t find I’m playing the 500 under 9 and typically around 09:30.

2 Likes

Just make sure those pesky burndies don’t wriggle to the floor, as that’s not good news for a 500 or a 300 for that matter.

It’s great that you like it – one always has that moment of self-doubt (well I do) with a material purchase but with Naim it’s normally a transitory thought, with that new box provoking a smile after an hour or so, if not sooner :grin:

I’ve done my best with the Burndies but I’m afraid to say they’re still touching all sorts of things they shouldn’t be touching :grimacing:

Still a very happy listener :grin:

3 Likes

:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

1 Like

Same here. Burndy on floor, sharp angles and likely twisted. Sounds bloody awesome anyway :sunglasses: Cable lifter for them maybe?

I have my 500PS on the middle shelf with the head on the bottom.

Phil

Medium size levels on the Fraim sorted this for me.

That’s a tough one!

I have ~5000 albums of classical music, of course I haven’t listened to everything. I often buy an album for one or two compositions it contains. But roughly speaking I have listened to 1500 of these 5000 albums. So it’s hard to pick and choose.

“Classical music” is a common term just like “Pop/Rock”. It doesn’t mean much. It is spread over several centuries in the form of periods.

I would say that the most accessible period is the Baroque period. Romantic and post-romantic chamber music is often considered as complex. As a result, Baroque music is frequently offered as an introduction.

I wouldn’t do that. I’ve prepared a quick mix for you. There are some “hits” but not only. I have avoided concertos and symphonic music.

Hope you’ll enjoy it :

Open Qobuz

EDIT :

Apparently my list contains titles that are no longer available on Qobuz.

Either because they are no longer available in very high resolution or because they have simply been removed from their catalogue.

I can access them because I bought them.

But these tracks, and these interpretations, are worth listening to.

6 Likes

I can’t thank you enough!! I’ll try these out for tonights listening session!

1 Like

Obviously it’ll depend on volume of the recording, speaker efficiency, room size, furnishings etc., but I find mine really starts to sing above the nine o’clock position and 9:30 is concert realism.

1 Like

I always thought my PMC 25.26 were easy to drive, first started with a Nova. I was often at 9:30 and sometimes more with my 500. Now with the Naim s600 Ovators……9 on the dial is very loud……the specs on paper and reality can be very different.

1 Like

Even if Naim doesn’t resume the DR upgrade, which I don’t think they will, I don’t think it’s anything to be surprised or upset about, it’s been over 10 years since DR was launched, and if someone as a customer hasn’t upgraded during that time, they have themselves to blame…

I don’t know about that. I think if you bought a 500 knowing that Naim offered the upgrade you’d be very disappointed that it had stopped. I am not blaming Naim. Now if you buy a non DR expect not to be able to upgrade it. That’s fine.

We know where we stand now.