Nap500

Ever since I’ve been looking it’s been more cost effective to trade a non-DR for a DR, rather than have the DR upgrade done.

That said I get that we all get attached to our boxes and might prefer to pay a bit extra for an upgrade rather than dabble in the used market.

At the current market price for a 500 I think any concerns about whether it can be DR’d or not will be quickly wiped away after a short listen. It’s an absolutely majestic amp in its own right.

8 Likes

Maybe something new replacing DR is on the way? A new series released and in the same time offering that upgrade for those having earlier amps. Would make sense in a way since those paying for DR close to a new release would feel cheated. After all it is core to their products performance and it’s not like DR never ever could become tiny bit better.

Put some pipe insulation round them… It’s a cheap way to not make em touch :wink:

1 Like

I’m bit sceptic about using foam around sensitive cables. Foam is if not treated static to a great extent. I would use a cable lifter made for purpose at this level which is not adding static and elevates cables with a small surface contact. My cents :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was thinking of trying something like in this photo, anybody tried this approach?

My Entreq cable separates in a similar way although in wood which should have a more neutral effect than metal.

Foam works fine, no need to worry about static, just get a lenght and hold it and pull it through your hand, no ststic unlike if you rub a balloon

2 Likes

Very enjoyable list Thomas. Such passionate playing on some of these tracks. Again thanks!

If you push your system, the better the amp then the louder you can take it. Eventually either you or the syatem will say enough.
Vey loud choral music can make your ears “ring” especially if there is any hard wax in there. Or is it just too loud? Perhaps even more inpressive is low level detail with a totally silent background.
Back to Peter Walker of QUAD. All recordings have an optmum level.

There comes a point when an extra Fraim shelf is a better answer than any of these lifting solutions. It can even be Lite if there’s no plan to use it to put something on but it will lead to temptation and if there’s only one 555ps feeding the ND than maybe getting a full Fraim shelf from the off will save in the long run. Since I made that mistake when first buying Fraim I had a couple of unused Lite shelves kicking around when I needed them.

Which reminds me. I saw Dixit Dominus live a few years back in Greyfriars’ Church in Reading. There was a rather large lass in the choir who’s voice was distractingly prominent, particularly on the dik of dixit. I’ve a feeling it was deliberate, though maybe on the part of her subconscious, as she melded into the massed voices much better during the rest of the programme.

By that logic Dan, Naim would have had to offer DR upgrades forever, does that seem reasonable?

2 Likes

Seems reasonable because it wouldn’t really be forever as there isn’t an infinite number of non-DR units out there, …merely just a large number of them.
Hypothetically it’s possible all non-DR units could eventually become DR’ed.

Plus if the reason is only due to difficulty obtaining parts for the DR upgrade it suggests it’s not about costs or pricing or marketing unwillingness, but due to circumstances beyond the control of Naim Audio.

5 Likes

I believe you have over interpreted my message.

I wasn’t referring to playing music at high volume, or pushing the system.

When I wrote “If the electronics or speakers are not up to the task”, I was implying at normal volume, around 75dB SPL.

I completely agree, and that’s where my new system shines.

And the new listening room will contribute greatly to this.

There is no such thing as silence. There is always an imperceptible ambient noise that interferes with the listening.

The acoustic treatment also has the effect of lowering the ambient noise level.

Silence becomes quieter, if I may say so.

I have updated the playlist.

The tracks that were not accessible have been replaced by other interpretations (or by a lower resolution version).

I added a few tracks as well.

Some tracks are first movements, either of a trio or a quartet.

If you like them, listen to the rest.

Each movement of these compositions is like a chapter in a book. It’s a shame to read only one or two chapters.

Open Qobuz

3 Likes

When I was researching hi-fi equipment quite a few years ago (the dawn of the LP12? no less) one perceptive dealer sajd “make sure they don’t play it too loud”. A good point I thought.

I hear tape hiss at the end and start of tracks recorded in analogue days which probably masked a good deal of ambient noise. This depended on the editing skill of the engineers.
Now I find the music just starts unless its Mahlers’s First Symphony which seems to just appear from nowhere.
One latest CD is a recording of Vaughan-Williams Fifth Symphony transcribed for organ recorded in Truro cathedral. Plenty of anbient noise. I suppose the nearest to silence is an anachoic room. From memory KEF in Tovil, Maidstone have one.

I always thought anaechoic (sp?) rooms were supposed to be not good for music, and pretty odd for speech? No expert, though, on this esoteric stuff.

I believe the term “anechoic chamber” is misused.

An anechoic chamber is a room without echo. Without any echo.

It is something totally different from acoustic treatment applied to a room.

Besides, there are very few truly anechoic chambers in the world. It’s a difficult thing to build.

Is an anechoic chamber good for music?
No, of course not! :laughing:

Is a nicely shaped and treated room good for music?
Oh yes, it is! :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes. Why not? The Naim DR upgrades are expensive and it offers customers an upgrade and is more environmentally friendly to upcycle non DR units.

3 Likes