Nap500

I suggest that you pour that into the operator after completing any necessary work on the equipment.

1 Like

I could not get regular buds inside the speaker connectors on my 300DR. No idea if the size of them differs that much but I guess so. Had to use pipe cleaners.

And don’t forget to try cotton buds in the one place they specifically tell you where NOT to stick them.
That usually improves listening and hearing in general.

But preferably not with the isopropyl alcohol !

Just adding to say that the clean of my speaker terminals has resulted in very significant improvement, fed from 300DR. This amp is really showing what it can deliver. Free upgrade !

No, don’t. There’s a reason why they tell you not to stick them there…:roll_eyes:

Please excuse my ignorance - is the isopropyl & cotton bud treatment specific to the power amp speaker sockets or is this recommended elsewhere in the system?

Peter

It would seem specific to the 4mm sockets. I intend to try it out myself sometime.

I’m bracing myself for the QI claxons for asking this - is it just the amp sockets or do the speaker sockets like a dapple of iso also?!

Peter

I would guess that if they’re Naim speakers then the answer may well be yes as the 4mm sockets are the same.

1 Like

A recent careful clean of the iBL sockets here resulted in a nice uplift.

I found the double ended cotton buds I used had one end that was slimmer than the other which helped the selection process. Quite surprising how black some of them emerged - resulting in a quickly achieved and worthwhile clean.

2 Likes

I had thought the problem I’d noticed with my cassette deck had gone away, but sadly it was still apparent yesterday morning when I was recording the Proms on BBC Radio 3. So it’ll need a trip up to Wilkinson’s in Lancashire.

This, coupled with my concerns about the overall sound from my system (see above), was enough for me to justify the complete system breakdown, clean and rebuild. I worked down the power supply stack first and then the source side. The NAP500 is on the bottom shelf on the left side, but I eventually got down to it. Everything was removed and cleaned, even the Fraim base shelves were separated and spiders webs and spider poo were cleaned off. I should say that the Fraim Chips were taped to the floor so that I knew I’d be reassembling in the same place to ensure the shelves would still be level. Having removed the NAP500 from the base shelves, I took the opportunity to clean the speaker sockets with isopropyl alcohol as discussed above and on a separate thread. As someone else has commented, the cotton buds would not fit in the sockets, but I turned a dry one in the outside edge of the sockets and was surprised just how dirty it was. I then used a Tepe interdental brush inside the sockets, first dipped in the alcohol. Then I used a new spare Naim speaker plug, which I inserted and removed several time in each side to ensure there was no surplus pool of alcohol left inside. After a short while, I reconnected the Burndies, speaker cables and XLR leads and continued rebuilding up to the top shelf.

All stages were dusted, shelves polished to remove the feet marks, balls polished and duly squeaked and cables reconnected as the Fraim was reassembled.

Four and a half hours later something had changed. BIG TIME! It was like a new power supply type upgrade. I don’t know if this was because there was one less source component plugged in, or the effect of unplugging and reinsertion of all connectors or the cleaning of the amplifier sockets. But as the effect is there for all sources, tuner, streamer and turntable, I suspect it could be the amplifier sockets. It’s definitely worth the effort IMO.

14 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Tomorrow it arrives :fire:

8 Likes

Great pics……hope it cools down by then……judging by my experience, you will be delighted.

4 Likes

Ooohhh exciting :grin:

1 Like

I’m really excited for you Slamdam. You deserve this!

1 Like

Wow…fabulous thing. A great mask!

Maybe

Looks like a sleepless night ahead

No. The sleepless nights come after it beds in. You’ll find it hard to tear yourself away!